Anyone running any non-oem turbo's on this forum?

ProMac1K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to start some more discussion.

What are you all running for turbos? What's your tractor running? What do you want to run? :Sly

Whit

Reaction score
I run a PDR hx 35 but am still wanting a touch more air :D Thinkin possibly an Aurora 2000 but still lookin, Just pulled my backhoe up a 8% grade and was dissipointed that I had to back out at 65 mph when egt's got to 1250*, topped the hill at 62 :mad: If I had a bit more air it would be balls to the walls :thumbsup:

ProMac1K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear ya......got the power but can't use it. 375 HP is a good number. :cool

I was thinking about a hybrid, but now i've got a new idea. Probably something no one else would want, but I think it would be neat (from experience). I just want to hear other people's opinions. Anyone using any oddball turbos?

Let's get some more discussion! ;)

94matt

Reaction score
TMaas said:
I was thinking about a hybrid, but now i've got a new idea. Probably something no one else would want, but I think it would be neat (from experience). I just want to hear other people's opinions. Anyone using any oddball turbos?

Let's get some more discussion! ;)

Let's hear your idea, maybe that will get some discussion going.

Matt

ProMac1K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
;Poke Well, it probably has nothing to do with performance.

I just wanted to see what others had to get an idea for myself. I have nothing yet, just thoughts.

swank

Reaction score
i was running a high tech hybrid that is now being used in my twin set up. does that count?

dave

swank

Reaction score
it was great! wouldn't keep egt's in check at 350 hp though. did a much better job of it than the stocker though. and it was CHEAP! i just got the wheel and machined the housing myself. 70 bucks and a couple ours hunched over a lathe, and i could floor it almost all the way through 5th. with the stocker i would hit 1550 a little before halfway through 4th. it's working well as my top turbo now, too. so i'd say that i'm satisfied with it.

dave

ProMac1K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good!

I was debating on going that route, but i'm afraid the air still might get hot even with it. I emailed Holset about a 3LD and they said that they couldn't give me any info on it since they didn't make it anymore. I'm looking into something that size and just wanted to see what other people have/had.

swank

Reaction score
what do you know about this turbo? i've never heard of it. just did a google search and didn't come up with much. found a cool holset pdf though. i'll try to attach it. if it works, be sure to check out the bottom of page three. ok, it don't work. if you google holset 3ld though, the third link will be for this: HTi-issues-3.pdf. get it!

:eek: :eek:

anyway, what kind of power are you going to be trying to cool? in what kind of situation(s)? do you have any fab skills?

ProMac1K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, Perkins put them on their older turbocharged engines. I think they're not a very big turbo.

I think i've checked that link before when doing a search. Seems to be the only link that a search engine will find related to that.

As far as power, I don't know. I do know that lag would be virtually not an issue. I don't know the maps on them, the size of the inlet, or anything. Just an idea that I had to get rid of the lag that you get with an auto. I think it's bad and I have the stock turbo! Was debating a set of twins with a turbo of that size as the smaller turbo, and who knows what for the bigger turbo. Something that wouldn't require a lot of internal engine work to pull off. Just an idea.

swank

Reaction score
the first (and only other set i've seen in person) set of twins i saw had what looked almost like a subaru turbo on top. i think i've got teeth bigger than that thing was. he put 650 down that day, i think. with a good ex. gate, i think an hx 30 sized turbo might be good :confused:. i'm no expert though. my twins are definitely smaller than most. got the hybrid on top and an ht3E on the bottom. the 3e is a little smaller than a 3b all the way around. smaller turbine, compressor wheel, housings (22cm exhaust housing). spool is ok, but could be better. i haven't driven any other trucks with twins yet though, so it could be quick compared to others. i've got a little something under my sleeve though. my next project, when the time is right, is vgt twins. i've got a smallish 35 or so sized one, and a 55'ish sized one. you want to talk about spool? the small turbo's housing will prolly squeeze down to less than 8 or 9cm, and the big on down to about 17 or 18cm. that'd be some low end, i reckon. :D :D we shall see.

dave

ProMac1K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
keep me tuned!!

I just don't like lag. I love running the MF 750 with the 6.354T engine because there is no lag, the DPA puts out plenty of fuel (more than the engine can burn), and you can hear turbo whistle just speeding the engine up or playing with the throttle. I think that would be neat. If you can get the gate working right for the smaller turbo, and size the big turbo right, I think it would be just what I want, and maybe more economical than other setups that you see. I'd like to see 500 HP. What can one get without doing any work to the head or having to remove the head? Another thing, what would be a good large turbo for that HP? Any chance of a bad transition between turbo's with using a smaller turbo? I've thought of the HY-9 or the "Nasty Nine", but that may even be bigger than i'm looking for.

Again, just an idea that I got after getting the combine out this season. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online