Another IDI in the driveway

3Kp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up a 94 F 250 4x4 E40D it has a few issues that I didn't catch before buying it. Just want to get a feeling what you might think it is. I'm thinking/hoping oil cooler

Here's my story: The temp and oil pressure gauge in the dash didn't work. So I bought some cheap mechanical gauges to get me by. I took my temp light sensor out and used that port for my gauge (easier access) When I took the sensor out antifreeze came out clean and green like it should. When I went to add some water to the radiator I found gray sludge in the radiator. Also the under side of the engine where the oil cooler is it has a build up of the same color stuff in the radiator?

The truck doesn't run hot according to the temp gauge I put in. (I know I shouldn't drive it but had a situation I had to, but is parked now)

Before discovering my issue I had to add oil to the truck a lifter was ticking a little when I bought it. Once the oil was in it stopped ticking. I drove the truck off and on for a week before putting and the ticking came back so I added a little more oil to make it stop. (This was before discovering the issue)

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have oil in the coolant, and that is why the sludge the radiator. Probably the oil cooler leaking. Gaskets or O-rings?

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. Goota start somewhere and the likely culprit is that oil cooler.

Btw, you do remember how much we like pictures, right?

3Kp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I know pictures. for some reason my home computer will not let me open download pictures. I'll try from the office computer later this week.

FORDF250HDXLT : I have a quick question for you since I know you torn into the E40D a few times. When I bought this truck is shift hard onto gears, added some ATF to it usually a quart at a time. Truck mostly sits here and don't see wetness under the truck on the ground. (but my gravel driveway is stain from other leaks) I do notice it's wet on the t-case. There is a bolt missing from the back of the pan. When the truck is idling in the driveway there is no leak to be seen. I think while it's in motion it's leaking out of the gasket where the bolt is missing? What are your thoughts on this?

3Kp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are pictures of the goop in the radiator. Of course the 3 idi in a row

Attachments

• IMG_20160911_174558711_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160911_174558711_HDR.jpg
    995.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20160911_174549893.jpg
    IMG_20160911_174549893.jpg
    622 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20160813_073120363_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160813_073120363_HDR.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 40

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I know pictures. for some reason my home computer will not let me open download pictures. I'll try from the office computer later this week.

FORDF250HDXLT : I have a quick question for you since I know you torn into the E40D a few times. When I bought this truck is shift hard onto gears, added some ATF to it usually a quart at a time. Truck mostly sits here and don't see wetness under the truck on the ground. (but my gravel driveway is stain from other leaks) I do notice it's wet on the t-case. There is a bolt missing from the back of the pan. When the truck is idling in the driveway there is no leak to be seen. I think while it's in motion it's leaking out of the gasket where the bolt is missing? What are your thoughts on this?

the t-case has it's own ATF.it's not "supposed" to leak from the trans to the t-case.if so you have a failed gasket.
fix the leak at the t-case.if you then see the fluid level raising in the t-case then you know it's time to replace that gasket.

to help find the slow leak from the trans,since it shouldn't be coming from the t-case,try laying down some cardboard sheets under the truck,since your driveway is stained and you can't tell this way.just set some rocks on the cardboard so it can't fly away.

that 9th gen sure is the looker in your family.:D
looks like an oil cooler pull is in your future along with a good flushing and coolant filter or two wouldn't hurt things much either.

3Kp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the t-case has it's own ATF.it's not "supposed" to leak from the trans to the t-case.if so you have a failed gasket.
fix the leak at the t-case.if you then see the fluid level raising in the t-case then you know it's time to replace that gasket.

to help find the slow leak from the trans,since it shouldn't be coming from the t-case,try laying down some cardboard sheets under the truck,since your driveway is stained and you can't tell this way.just set some rocks on the cardboard so it can't fly away.

that 9th gen sure is the looker in your family.:D
looks like an oil cooler pull is in your future along with a good flushing and coolant filter or two wouldn't hurt things much either.

I found the hard line going from the radiator to the transmission to be spraying onto my oil pan, also the T-case is leaking , Even gets better the pan leaks in the corner due to a stripped screw.. It was snugged but had a little drip from that one bolt so gave it a little more of a turn and it just spun. Thinking of taking the E40D from the crew cab and put in the 94 and making the crew into a manual. Think hauling my camper a manual would be better?? Got to sleep on it for a while but for now the 94 is on the back burner.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would try simple fixes with what you have, if you can get that hard line to stop leaking and you don't need an oil cooler replacement then you have a pretty solid truck once you have the coolant system clean, if the simple fixes don't work then yeah put a real transmission in the crew cab ;Sweet

3Kp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where can you buy new hard lines for the transmission cooler. Found mine spraying a stream of ATF on the side of my oil pan. Or can I put rubber clear back to where my hole is in the tubing? It's towards the front of the engine Right before the X member

3Kp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In post number 7 has picture whats in my radiator. I keep loosing transmission fluid not evidence of it dripping on the ground. I repaired the hard lines to the transmission. Is it possible it's leaking into my radiator due to a bad radiator? Truck doesn't run hot I haven't gotten over 200 degrees yet according to water temp gauge.