Another gauge question

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While driving on the highway i suddenly noticed my temp gauge was completely pegged. So far pegged it was point to the "E" on the fuel gauge. I immediately pulled over, but nothing on the engine seemed like it was overheating. no steam. no loss of oil pressure. no excessive radiant heat. So i figured the sensor went bad, and i replaced it. same problem. Gauge raises to operating temperature then in less than a second swing all the way past high mark. So i replaced the gauge. Issue remains. so now i am really concerned. The engine isn't losing power or acting strangely but as soon as it get to op temp woosh there goes the needle. Coolant tank is still full.

so uhhhhh what the hell?

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
i had the same problem, even in the morning before starting it would be pegged. I unplugged it at the block and install an mechanical gauge, 2 months later i figured why not plug it back in and it worked properly :dunno

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
if you have a multi meter you could test the sender.

are you sure your not over heating?

i would go spend 20 at the parts store and pick up a mechanical temp gauge for piece of mind.

suv7734

Reaction score
Which sensor did you replace? There is a second sensor that is at the front of the driver's side head. It is the over-temp sensor that will peg the gauge and turn on the Check Engine light. Disconnect the wire to that sensor and turn the ignition on. If the gauge reads normally then the over-temp sensor is done.

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you have a multi meter you could test the sender.

are you sure your not over heating?

i would go spend 20 at the parts store and pick up a mechanical temp gauge for piece of mind.

pretty darn sure. i mean with where the guage is the coolant would be boiling over and oil would be burning. neither is happening.

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which sensor did you replace? There is a second sensor that is at the front of the driver's side head. It is the over-temp sensor that will peg the gauge and turn on the Check Engine light. Disconnect the wire to that sensor and turn the ignition on. If the gauge reads normally then the over-temp sensor is done.

ok i will try that. i wondered what that sensor was.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
You will be better off with a mechanical oil pressure and water temp gauge.

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe, when I get the turbo kit installed. i will be adding an A-pillar and likely steering column gauge mounts and i might have room for extra gauges, but the truth is I really can't stand looking at a gauge that isn't working, nor am i fond of redundancy if i can help it.