another DT360 thought

defecater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 93 crew cab dually 2wd with a banks turbo'd 7.3 and a swapped in T-19 with an add on overdrive unit.

I have been saving my pennies for some hop up parts for it and have been seriously considering just swapping out to a 5.9 cummins- not that I have a love for a cummins or a hate for the IH, but it just makes sense in a financial way, plus I like the straight six format moreso than the crowded v-8. I was considering a DT360 also, and really like the idea of that, mostly because it is something different and not just the same old cummins swap. I guess my real question is transmission related. I have my doubts that the input shaft on the t-19 will live a long and happy life if I start pumping up the torque numbers like I want to and then pull two vehicles on a gooseneck trailer. I have found this as a potential transmission, and I can get one for $150-

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/drivetrain/154_0509_spicer_3053a_transmission/index.html

regardless of what engine I do use in the future, this tranny will bolt up to any of them with the proper SAE adapter and flywheel. but having had no experience with medium duty truck components, I am wondering how much firewall/floor clearance issues I might have with one of those big azzed SAE adapters?? particularly if I choose to go with one of the straight six engines that would need to be pushed back as far as possible in the engine compartment to get clearance at the front.

Any thoughts???

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are a ton of options for transmissions. The SAE Bellhousing is easily changed if needed. What you gotta plan on is finding the right transmission for your needs. If you are going to bomb the snot out of the DT360, you'll need something with a good, high torque rating. Do you need/want an overdrive? How many gears do you want (5-18)? Here is some infomation I posted in a similar thread a few days ago and it may or may not be helpful:

The new Spicer 6+1 (ESO66-7B) or the older Spicer 6+1 (1207-3A) aren't too heavy (about 456lbs) and will give you an overdrive, but I've heard they can be a bit notchy when shifting. It should hold up well to the extra HP. It is only rated for 250HP and 660 lb/ft. though.

There is a guy on Competition Diesel who is running a John Deere 466 in his F250 with a (unmodified) spicer 5 speed and he is pulling the truck competitively. He is making about 700HP and roughly 1400lb/ft. That's way over the max torque rating for his Spicer and it is holding up fine so far. He is using a SCS dropbox t-case as his modified NP205's couldn't handle the torque.

There are a lot Eaton Fullers out there. I've been looking at Eaton fuller FSO-8406A (6-speed overdrive) and a TX-14607B (7-speed overdrive). The 6 speed is rated for 800 lb/ft and the 7 speed is rated for 1,400 lb/ft. They are supposed to be better to shift than the spicer, are heavy duty, but are both about 600lbs. Use this link to get all the spec's on any Eaton Fuller tranny.

I too want something with an overdrive, strong, and user friendly, but not crazy heavy or long.

I'm not sure which I'm going to go with yet. Time will tell.

Hope that helps and isn't too much at once.

Heath

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the answer "body lift" is correct. another thing to keep in mind, when you get into med. and heavy duty ratings it is a little different than what you see in the light duty stuff. .

one thing that is hardly ever discussed is duty cycle. Typicially HD and MD squipment is rated for close to 95% duty cycle, I have seen light duty staff rated at 10%...this makes a HUGE difference in how much abuse they will tolerate.

Personally I am preparing to swap an ES066-7 into my 6.9 IDI...and ultimatly will replace the IDI with a dt360....the es066 is rated for 650 ft/lbs, and when all s said and done I will be above those limits, but its kind like boost...you can control how for you want to push the envelope with your right foot

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk