AMAZING! My truck now only has 1 leak!

Should I fix the oil leak or not?

• Yes, pull the engine and replace the gasket.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, these trucks should leak something - it's "character"

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters

groovemonster

Reaction score
When I got my idit it suffered from lack of use. As a result, EVERYTHING LEAKED - power steering, transmission, oil, fuel, coolant - EVERYTHING lol. Around July of last year I stripped the engine down and rebuilt the fuel system, cooling system, and a lot more. The first day running it came back home on a tow truck lol [random failure of the neutral safety switch]! immediately after fixing that, the fuel system started springing leaks all over the place. Spent weeks chasing them and sealing them. Immediately after getting that done, my power steering return line blew a hole. Got that fixed and my coolant started leaking again!!! At this point I'm thinking my truck WANTS to leak everything. Got the coolant leak repaired and BAM! As if the truck knew it was time to start a new leak, the fuel system blew a major hole! It probably dumped a gallon of fuel in about 30 minutes. Got it home and told my wife about it. She - being the supportive and loving wife she is - immediately started laughing! Anyway, I got that leak fixed and now it has been over a month since any new leaks have started. The only leak it still has is the rear main seal. It isn't bad, it probably leaks about a quart per month, and i drive it daily. I might just let it be. Not sure if I want to keep pushing my luck lol

themechanicalford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck leaks about 25 gallons of fuel a week right through the injectors. It’s totally dependent on how much I drive it though.

I like my truck to piddle a little bit, a marking of territory ya know.

The dog does the same thing on our walks and we always find our way back to the cabin.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sounds like me and my TDI, it only gets to drive about 2 weeks before something else goes

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
My answer is that it depends on what you're going to do with it in the future. Are you happy with the way that it runs or are you thinking about doing upgrades that will require head studs? If the latter is your choice, then it may soon be a good time to do both, fix the leak and install the studs.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess as long as you still have that one leak, you know it still has oil. If it every stops leaking entirely, you know you have big problems.

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Um, let me offer the solution I used on a 84' 6.9 rear seal. Power steering "stop leak" from auto parts store. Dumped it in ran the snot out of it and changed oil in a couple days. Done! ;)

papadiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a slave seal repair kit to replace the rear main I did it for years ago and my crank was a little bit rough have not had one drip in the driveway sense

Ky85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a lazymans oil change, between the leaking and the burning, ya just top it off and it's always cycled thru

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
My power steering is still leaking after replacing both hoses. I dunno what the deal is. I'm sick of messing with it, so just eat the cost of cheap ATF top offs as needed. The gearbox might be leaking like the F250's was. It's not worn out though, still pretty tight, so I can't justify replacing it.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My power steering is still leaking after replacing both hoses. I dunno what the deal is. I'm sick of messing with it, so just eat the cost of cheap ATF top offs as needed. The gearbox might be leaking like the F250's was. It's not worn out though, still pretty tight, so I can't justify replacing it.

What type if pump is it? I know the typical F-series pump, the fluid reservoir is sealed to the pump body with an O-ring that can leak. there is also a second O-ring that allows the pressure line to pass through the side of the same plastic reservoir. Just a thought.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online