Am I Impatient or is it More?

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
Okay, I thought I might have lost my shower head...except I poured another five gallons in my tank and my truck is still not starting. I cranked it until the batteries almost died (in twenty second intervals), and when I press the schrader valve, air only comes out.

I know the truck is long, hence the system needs a longer time to prime, BUT is this possibly a sign of a bad lift pump? I smelled my oil, but it does not smell like Diesel. The last time I got the truck started, I was able to rev it up and such, so I am not sure what is going on. When the truck was running, I got some fuel out of the schrader valve, but it was low pressure if I recall.

It is pouring outside, so I could not get to changing the return line caps. The lines to the injectors that I could get to were snug, and I tried to get to the fuel inlet line of the injection pump, but I could only get a little grip on it, so I can not guarentee it totally tight.

Am I getting ahead of myself, or could this be a bad lift pump?

Thanks!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Remove the fuel line from the lift pump to the filter. Then pump the fender solenoid to engage the starter. You do not need the ignition switch turned on for this. Caution... If the lift pump is working you will have diesel pumping out of the open line near the filter. But at least that will tell you if there is fuel getting to the filter. Could be a plugged up supply line or a broken fuel tank selecter valve stuck between the front and rear tank... Post back with what you find....

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
Thank you, hopefully tomorrow after work, it will not be raining and I can get a chance to check it out. I will post back with the results.

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
A few months ago I decided to replace my supply pump, after having a serious problem with losing the prime after 4 hours. The new pump did the trick. I had already installed a new injector-return kit, and replaced some fuel lines. I know how frustrating an air intrusion can be, almost convinced me sell the truck after taking a month to track down all the air leaks! Good luck

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
Okay, I am slowly narrowing it down. I cracked the lines before and after the fuel filter, and I am getting flow as it is cranking. I also checked and I have power to both solenoids on the IP. I next need to see if I am getting any fuel to the injectors.....

Am I overlooking anything else? Is there a way to test the fuel shut off solenoid, or do these fail?

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
Now I just checked the fuel shut off solenoid by disconnecting it and tapping the terminal with the key on. I can hear it clicking. Now I guess I need to crack the injector lines and replace the return line caps.

Reaction score
I just went through this last night with my truck. Took off the hard line on the filter and found the lift pump had died. Replaced it with an electric pump, then had my shower cap fall off in the tank, replaced it with a 3"~ long length of 3/8 tubing, THEN had an air leak in the supply and return lines RIGHT where they 90 bend and go into the tank. Cut them off flush and tapped some brass 1/8" npt fittings in their place!! I had the Trifecta of fuel problems.....Just trying to give you some ideas on where to look

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where's all the mechanical lift pump fans? C'mon guys... he almost killed his batteries. Cheer him on! :)

:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Where's all the mechanical lift pump fans? C'mon guys... he almost killed his batteries. Cheer him on! :)

:rolleyes:

I always liked my stock lift pump for simplicity and never planned to change it...untill I installed an electric last night and bled the fuel system by turning on the key....never again will i run a mechanical pump!

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
I just came inside from checking out more on the truck. I cracked the injector lines and no fuel. I then confirmed I have 4 1/2 psi from the lift pump. I am left with the fear that it might be the IP. It gave no signs of a problem, so how can I check it out? Anything else I can check too? It is charging up right now, and I am hoping it will be something soooooo stupid I will be embarassed. I am scared it is the IP. AAAAAhhhhhhhh crap!

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I have both, SO THERE.;Really

I wondered about having an electric pump on a switch I can flick to prime the truck when I have air. I wouldn't run it all the time as I don't want to blow out my mechanical lift pump diaphragm, but it would be nice using 4 amps to prime, rather than both batteries till they are almost deal...