Am I Impatient or is it More?

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me get this straight, you are getting plenty of fuel at the ip , remove line going into the ip? And you are still using the old ip? No fuel coming out of the return line fitting on the top of the ip, you removed the fuel line at the fitting?

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
I am getting plenty of fuel to the IP. I am using the IP I got from the junkyard, but now, the last time I pulled the line off the top of the IP, it was wet inside, and it looks like fuel was coming out of it.

Now, I have two trains of thought - my truck is parked on an incline with the nose up. I am wondering if I have one heck of an air bubble in there.

I also thought the starter was spinning pretty quick - but I pulled the cable off of the solenoid since it was loose and so was the stud. Both are tight now, and it seems that the starter is spinning quicker than it was before. Now I am just waiting for it to charge.

I am still looking for more thoughts though.....

Thanks.

P.S.

I am glad to hear the wife is doing better. How is she progressing?

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
Also, is it possible for the check valve in the lift pump to go bad? I only ask because I am wondering if fuel is draining back to the tank since I am on a hill. The last few times I have cranked the engine over, I have pushed in the schrader valve and felt a puff of air **** out of it.

This used to happen to my GMC gasser when it was parked in this spot and I would have to crank the engine over a bit just to get gas up to the carb.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What you have to remember with these fuel systems, anything is possible. You can't get myopic, be open to any possibility. The ip has a pump in it, if ample fuel is getting to it it will prime itself and get fuel to the injectors. That is if fuel is getting into the pump. Look in the inlet of the old pump and tell me if there is a screen in it, you may have to take the fitting off to tell. If the screen is blocked not enough fuel will get in to the ip to pop bleed the injector lines much less pop the injectors. Also take the fitting off the return on top of the ip and check the check ball in it, don't loose it. See if the check ball it free or stuck. If it is stuck closed, that would burn up the ip, it needs the circulation of the fuel to cool it.

All of that need to be checked on a junk yard ip also so that you know it's outwardly good. Also you say that you are getting plenty of fuel, how long does it take to fill a pint jar from the fuel line coming out of the filter?

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
A few numbers updates - 4.5 to 5 PSI, volume is about 10 to 11 ounces after 10 seconds of cranking. The check ball was floating around in the fitting not sealing, so I replaced it with the one off the IP I took off. I also found a loose return line fitting, which is now tight. I will replace the returne lines and caps when I get home in a while. The old IP had no screen and I am not sure about the replacement one yet. The truck is charging and still not running.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Check ball will cause the fuel to bleed off back through the return as well as the return line fitting. They can bleed down in minutes. The 10 oz in 10 second might be a little low but should run.

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
I got the truck started!!!!! I put the original IP back on, and bled the system. I disconnected the GPS, gave it a shot of ehter, and the truck chugged to life! I think all this was over some nasty trapped air.....

Thanks to all for the help!