Am I Impatient or is it More?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just by your description I am guessing a pump is in order.

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
Crap! I figured it was probably in order, BUT was hoping I was maybe sadly mistaken. Well, since the funds are not in order for a new one right now, I am going to have to try to find a used one cheap tomorrow. I know, I know, I should go for a remanned one, but right now, I can not do it.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Loosen your fuel lines at the injectors and crank the engine over. It sounds like you have an air pocket caught in the injection pump. When this happens it's a sign that the injection pump is on it's last legs but sometimes you can get them to start pumping fuel and get them running. I have had to do this in the past to slide me through till I had the money to replace the pump. Just crack the lines and crank until you see fuel coming out the injector lines then tighten them up, then start the truck. after that you should be ok for few as long as you don't have an air leak that allows the fuel to drain back.

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
Thanks, I ended up going to the junk yard and picking up another one...going to put it on my truck tomorrow and keeping my fingers crossed. I had taken off a couple of lines completely and cranked the engine for a while. The only fuel I got out was a few drips.

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
Okay - Now, I replaced the IP with a J\Y IP. I know, I know, but it is all I can afford right now and am just needing to get this thing running. I have cranked and cranked the engine, BUT I am getting nothing out of the lines - I have two loose and am watching them for fuel to come out. NOTHING! I have run the batteries down two times so far trying to get it to prime/start. Is there anything else I could do to try to get it to start?

Oh yeah, the front of the truck is pointing up hill too. How would I get rid of any ari pockets in the pump itself? I am still getting air out of the schrader valve, but fuel is spurting out when I crack the fittings after the fuel filter.

I AM GOING CRAZY. Please help me!!!!!!

Thanks,

Nick

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hesitate to bring this up, but, I was parked on the side of a farm to market road here in Texas a while back. I had ran out of fuel when I remembered that I had 3 gal in a can in the back of my truck. I filled the filters and started it up and it promptly died. I did it twice before the thought struck me that 2 1/2 gal might not be enough to reach the fuel pick up.

My point is, do you know that your pump has a steady supply of fuel, are you filters/filter full. If all of those answers are yes then the pump will prime its self. The ip has a fuel pump in it that will pick up fuel from the filters and prime itself. I'm sure you have answered this already. Do you have a jumper going between the FSS and battery? If not put one on for there is no doubt that it is powered, especially with a new pump.

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I just came back inside from messing with it some more. I jumped the solenoid and cranked it over, but still the same results. I removed the fuel filter, which was one tight ****** (my fault as I was the one to change it). The filter was full and I put it back on, not as tight this time. Still the same results. Each time I press the schrader valve at the head while the engine is off, I hear air either escaping or coming in, not sure if this is normal.

Thanks for the ideas, I need more!

I am ready to walk away from this thing!

Thanks for all the help!

Nick

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't walk away, it's almost always something simple that is over looked the you want somebody to kick you in the a$$. How much fuel in the tank and have you tried working off the other tank. A very small air leak between the ip and tank can cause it to bleed back in minutes. Also run a hose from a fuel can straight to the ip, keep it short. the ip should pick up prime and you can bleed the system. Run it through the filters though. let me know. Also a small leak can prevent enough fuel pressure.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have also seen a obstruction cause the fuel pump to pull a vacuum on the fuel system and you might hear it suck air when you open it up.

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the help so far. I am not walking away - yet, just frustrated and am scared the I might start throwing parts at it. I have about 3/4 of a tank or more. I think the way it is parked, nose up on a hill probably is not helping with the prime. I will try using the can tomorrow. I have not tried working off the second tank, since it is almost empty. I am curious, since I am at an angle (and this is where I will normally be parking the truck, would it possibly be a good idea to have an electric pump to prime the system?

I currently have the mechanical pump in there. I disconnected the return line to the filter head and took a pressure reading off that. I get 4.5 pounds during cranking. I have another mechanical I can throw on, but would prefer not to if not needed as I can return it for the electric pump if that would work better.

Thanks again!

Nick

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4.5 is plenty, and mechanical pumps have worked great sense dirt was new. Electric pumps would be great for priming and times like this. I once had a small leak at the pump that make my truck undrivable. Have you taken the filter off and put a jar under it and physically seen how much fuel is being pumped. I put a clear filter between my pump and filter and it has been a great help in trouble shooting my fuel system. It showed me that I was getting some fuel but not enough for the truck to run. A piece of the fuel pick up had chipped off and was stuck in my fuel pick up tube. A quick shot of air from behind the fuel pump towards the tank dislodged it. Then I had to pull the tank and clean it. Like I said little things.

I'm going to be away from the forum for a little while. After my last post last night my wife went into Heart failure. She is stable now but her kidneys had not restarted by 9am. I hate leaving you stranded. I asked a friend once that was a sewing machine mechanic how he worked on the machines. He told me you had to think like a thread. Think like a drop of diesel and all of the thing that can keep it from getting to the ip.

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
Oh crap, I am so sorry to hear about your wife. Things like that put little problems like this well into perspective.

I hope she recovers quickly. She is in my prayers, and please keep us posted at any chance you get (of course we do not expect you to be on here much).

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
Well, I am back and the problem has not changed. I just went and messed with it some more. I took off the line to the IP and cranked it over. I am getting plenty of fuel out of the lift pump. I cracked all of the injrctor lines and cranked it over with the fss jumped multiple times at 10 second bursts, but no fuel to the injectors. I think my starter is beginning to feel the stress of this too (Weird smell coming from the area, almost like a clutch - my truck is an automatic). I know it is a toss up getting a JY IP. Anyway, I have very little restriction, maybe 1-2 PSI on the return line. I removed the return line, but nothing comes out of the top of the IP return line fitting with it cranking and the throttle is either open OR closed.

Please help me!

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Where's all the mechanical lift pump fans? C'mon guys... he almost killed his batteries. Cheer him on! :)

:rolleyes:

I've seen mechanical replaced with inexpensive elecctric, after the second or third electric pump a new mechanical pump was purchaced, it seems to be cheaper to spend $200-300 on one pump than $50-100 each on several.