Which ts chip, or am i overthinking?

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
I have a 97 powerstroke, srw, 4x4 originally automatic. I swapped to a zf5 and absolutely love it. But was wondering which chip I should order being I swapped auto for manual, and left the auto pcm and wiring alone on the truck. When ordering, it asks auto or manual. Not sure it makes a difference at this point, but want to make sure. Don't want to replace the pcm or wiring. Thoughts?

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would recommend having the tunes written for a manual transmission.

I can tell you from past manual conversion experience that it having the manual tuning will make the driving experience much nicer.

With the auto tuning when releasing the accelerator between shifts the rpm doesn't drop fast enough which takes some time to get used to. Also when downshifting for engine braking the engine will float the rpm instead of slowing you down because it thinks it as an auto coasting.

James

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t own a Powerstroke, but I have many friends who have them. Most of them used to have IDIs, and moved on.

The one guy with the Hydra seems to have the most control over his fueling, seems his options are very broad, especially with how he can upload tunes so easily.

Banks and TS multi position just don’t quite have the adjustment that the Hydra has, from what I’ve seen, but not done.

I question whether I should get a PSD or IDI to replace my Dodge, regardless it must be a crew cab long bed… regular cab trucks just don’t cut it for me anymore, although my service truck is a slight exception, due to its storage capabilities.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
I would recommend having the tunes written for a manual transmission.

I can tell you from past manual conversion experience that it having the manual tuning will make the driving experience much nicer.

With the auto tuning when releasing the accelerator between shifts the rpm doesn't drop fast enough which takes some time to get used to. Also when downshifting for engine braking the engine will float the rpm instead of slowing you down because it thinks it as an auto coasting.

James
To be honest, I've already noticed that. Thought it was my imagination, but now that you state that, it makes perfect since.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
I don’t own a Powerstroke, but I have many friends who have them. Most of them used to have IDIs, and moved on.

The one guy with the Hydra seems to have the most control over his fueling, seems his options are very broad, especially with how he can upload tunes so easily.

Banks and TS multi position just don’t quite have the adjustment that the Hydra has, from what I’ve seen, but not done.

I question whether I should get a PSD or IDI to replace my Dodge, regardless it must be a crew cab long bed… regular cab trucks just don’t cut it for me anymore, although my service truck is a slight exception, due to its storage capabilities.
I now have both, my personal opinion, snatch up an idi. Tuners are probably great and all, but I love the simplicity of an idi. My dd is a 91 f250 with a 3582 turbo, intercooler, 110 cc ip, stage 1 injectors, 3.73 Yukon gears, and a zf5. Walks all over the powerstroke loaded or unloaded. Stomps the snot out of the 06 Cummins in the yard and it has all kinds of tunes and aftermarket parts on it from injectors, turbo, ip, exhaust, u name it. Reason I want the ts is cause it's cheap, and I just put a new set of stock aa injectors in the ps so not sure how much fuel can be pushed.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
I would look at PHP Hydra before deciding.
After some more looking, I think for the extra 100 bucks and added benefit of not having to send the chip in every time I want to change the tunes, IL be following yalls advice. How do yalls trucks do with the 50 and 75 hp tunes while towing? And how's the fuel mileage with them vs without? The 100 hp tune looks like fun, but how about the fuel mileage on that tune?

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly I get the best fuel mileage on the 140HP Extreme tune, you won't for the first few months because the added power is way too much fun. But once the new wears off it spools the turbo much easier so it actually requires much less throttle to do the same amount of work. After having the hydra for about 10 years, I don't think I could drive a 7.3 powerstroke without it. My stock 6.9 has more off the line motivation than any of my 7.3 powerstrokes did in stock form.

I think you will be very happy with the hydra.

James

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Honestly I get the best fuel mileage on the 140HP Extreme tune, you won't for the first few months because the added power is way too much fun. But once the new wears off it spools the turbo much easier so it actually requires much less throttle to do the same amount of work. After having the hydra for about 10 years, I don't think I could drive a 7.3 powerstroke without it. My stock 6.9 has more off the line motivation than any of my 7.3 powerstrokes did in stock form.

I think you will be very happy with the hydra.

James
Can I run the 140 tune without bigger injectors? I have the ebpv delete and adrenalin hpop as well as a cold air intake and mbrp 3 in downpipe into a 4 inch exhaust shortened to come out in front of the tire instead of behind, but stock injectors and basically stock everything else other than the zf5 swap.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All of mine except for 1 were bone stock except for cutting the muffler out and welding a piece of pipe in the stock exhaust.

The basic canned tunes are all for stock setup ( it sounds like you already have a better setup than me ). At worst on a healthy engine you may lose a little power on the top end, for me i never noticed because I usually drive on the bottom of the rpm range.

Php actually has upgraded canned tunes that you can buy for common injector, hpop, and turbo upgrades ( I haven't tried these yet but I have a truck with 160/ 30 injectors that I plan to try them out on).

You can also load anyone's custom tunes on it also.

James

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
All of mine except for 1 were bone stock except for cutting the muffler out and welding a piece of pipe in the stock exhaust.

The basic canned tunes are all for stock setup ( it sounds like you already have a better setup than me ). At worst on a healthy engine you may lose a little power on the top end, for me i never noticed because I usually drive on the bottom of the rpm range.

Php actually has upgraded canned tunes that you can buy for common injector, hpop, and turbo upgrades ( I haven't tried these yet but I have a truck with 160/ 30 injectors that I plan to try them out on).

You can also load anyone's custom tunes on it also.

James
Good to know. You don't happen to reside in Texas do you? Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7