Air getting into the fuel system

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay I feel really dumb for asking this because I'm fairly sure what the problem is. Has anyone here ever seen the o-rings in the fuel lines from the tank to the tank selector or from the selector up. I'm pretty sure the o-rings are where the lines are sucking air. The tank is filled completely full of diesel. Just wanted to get confirmation before I fight the lines loose to replace the o-rings. Truck is a 92 F-350 CC flatbed dually. There is an electric fuel pump 12 inches ahead of the tank selector valve.

howards@howard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
air in line

The most common air leak is at the elbow going into the fuel sender they rot right off. check that first. as far as the o-ring fuel lines it's hand to hand combat . **** em off rubber fuel line and hose clamps is what i do. good luck

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that wouldn't surprise me in the least if the elbow went bad either. I'm going to dive into it tomorrow. Luckily a plastic surgeon I'm friends with is saving my hide and letting me borrow his wrangler to get around. I'm not going to be completely happy till my 87 4x4 is running again also

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You do NOT want to try to replace those little orings in the quick disconnects at the selector valve, not unless you already have reservations at the loony bin for an extended stay in a nice room with mattress wallpaper :eek:

If those things go bad, just cut the old hose off and replace with a new chunk of fuel hose and clamp it on

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They're not that bad. I've done them before on a gasser that was leaking because of them

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was wondering about those orings. is that something you have to get from the stealership or can you use a oring thats for fuel purpose and buy them from a parts store?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
i was wondering about those orings. is that something you have to get from the stealership or can you use a oring thats for fuel purpose and buy them from a parts store?

Most mc parts stores have them in the *help* section.. which is what you will be screaming after about an hour , with your armpits soaked in diesel, still futzing with the first one :eek: Even armed with an arsenal of exotic pic tools it's no fun. THose little orings are stiff as heck and they just do not want to slip into place. Everytime you just about think you have it, they either poke in or fly out -cuss

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they come in a pack. one 3/8 and one 5/16 o-ring. I got lucky and found two packs with two each. took me 5 minutes to replace them on both sides of the selector valve. evidently my leak is up at the tanks as it's still sucking air. I'll drop the tanks and address that problem tomorrow