AEM Dryflow Air Filter

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly on the rpms.:dunno

egt's @ idle ~150-200..... cruising on flat ground at 55mph ~400-450......on the highway at about 70mph they are ~500........they max out at 700 no matter what unless i REALLY lug it up a hill then i can touch 850-900.

max boost when i drive like a normal person is about 4-5, ~600 egt. hammering on it i can hit 10-12psi, 700egt.

before with the stock air box and cowl tube hooked up the egt's were the same under all conditions. boost when driving like a normal person would max out around 6-7psi. i could also push about 1-2psi cruising at 55mph, now i am at like .5psi.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rpm to speed cant change without changing tranny or rear end. Its a ratio...

As for lower boost same egt, what are your boost and egt numbers? 300ish is usually close to a warmed up idle/putt putt. Boost and egt as you know are related to fueling. If egts are low at WOT uphill then you can spin the fuel screw up. But if its high just doing freeway speeds id look at other things...

Can too with an auto!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score

I believe he means with an automatic your rpms at a certain speed can be changed without a gear change. To me in theory if you go to a free flowing intake, the engine with not have to work as hard to do the same speed. So it could be possible to see less rpm at Speed. Or maybe I'm just crazy. Lol

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
yeah that makes sense about the engine working easier.

here are some better pics.

You must be registered for see images

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry i meant real trans not slushie boxes :) if you have a auto it can vary some..

But with a manual no. Not sure which you use. Some bs numbers to help explain: lets say to go 25 in a manual you spin the engine 1500 rpm in a certain gear. Adding a turbo, propane, nos, whatever - youll still need 1500 rpm to get to 25 mph, youll just get there faster. Cant change gearing with boost on manual setups.

I would look for a boost leak, you probably disturbed something on accident. I have a 10-pack of the oring for the intake snail, and most people use the 5 1/8inch carb gasket for the intake mani/snail region. Maybe the boost fitting is loose too. I had a oring go bad, went from similar boost/egt to barely 1 psi flogging it, and higher egts. Turbo still spins so you'll hear it going too.

Otherwise you might wanna make sure the impeller spins good still. Try no filter and see if it improves, i doubt it does.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
little update.....still running this filter. has been doing great. summer is just getting started here, but there is ABSOLUTELY NO DUST in the turbo inlet or in the intake tube!!!!

Did a little painting to it today as well. one coat of BBQ black heat paint, put sticker on, one coat of high temp clear.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks Good Eric! Like that ..

Is that 3 or 4 inch tubing?

How about a box around the air filter and then suck from that cold air I see on the fire wall into the box? Keep the cold air going in engine that way? Just a thought.

Still gonna do a snorkel on mine...just gotta figure out 3" or 4" Hmmm...

Again looking good and happy to hear Justin is making sure things are good for you and even went as far as lending a timing setup. That's good business practice for sure!

JM2CW

Al

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Thanks Al, and true dat on what Justin is doing for me!!!!

4 inch pipe is what your looking at. i have debated about making a box for the filter.....still a possibility....

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Looking good, whats the story on cleaning them?
Still gonna do a snorkel on mine...just gotta figure out 3" or 4" Hmmm...

Again looking good and happy to hear Justin is making sure things are good for you and even went as far as lending a timing setup. That's good business practice for sure!

JM2CW

Al
Slight hijack... please please please do a writeup on the snorkel, especially if you can figure out how to do it with minimal body cutting and no big ole PVC pipe running along the fender (Im sorry but those just scream "Please knock me off" would make my river crossings a lot less worrisome (one of the trails I like to hit up has 4 crossings and if its anywhere near high Ill chicken out)

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
from my understanding to clean my AEM just take it off, probly blow it out with air first, then wash it with water...idk if you can/should use any soap on it, but then just let it dry out, re-install.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I mix dawn dish soap with water in a spray bottle for cleaning filters.
I've cleaned "paper element" filters like that also. No problems yet.

I've only used the filter oil on gassers. But I guess it'd be okay for a N/A diesel. :dunno

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online