91 brake antilock

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got the truck back from dad... I noticed the brake and anti lock lights on. I assume this is depecting a problem with the antilock system, particually the elec valve under the drivers side fram rail... or rear sensor... Is there a way of reading the codes on this controller??? I know in the past GM you could ground 2 pins and the chk eng light would flash. anthing like this on a ford???

thx

Last edited:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a way man, I recall someone figured it out a few months back when their RABS went nuts, but for the life of me I can't remember who that person was or what they did...

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i thought on a standard ford comp plug, you could use a analog meter and wach the pulses of the needle... but this is from years ago, and not sure if this for brake controller or just a engine computer

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or use a test light and count the blinks - this forks for the EEC-IV PCMs for sure if you don't have a scanner, IIRC for the RABS brain it's similar but I have no idea which pins you bridge for that to happen.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was the one who had the problems with the RABS valve.

The way to check your ABS code is to ground the electrical plug that's located under your dash (near the parking brake pedal). According to Chilton's, all you need to do is turn your ignition switch to the 'run' position, ground the plug for one to two seconds and your 'Rear Antilock' light will start flashing. The code will be finished with a long flash. Example: if you get three short flashes followed by a long flash, the code number is four. If you get five short flashes followed by a long flash, the code number is six, etc.
However, I was not able to get my 'Rear Antilock' light to flash just by switching my ignition to the 'run' position and grounding the plug. It wouldn't flash until the light had come on while driving. It wasn't until then I was able to get it to flash a code. :dunno
IIRC the wire you're looking for is black with an orange stripe. According to Chilton's, it's supposed to be plugged in to another wire, but mine was just hanging, not plugged in to anything.
Hope this helps.

Here's a link to the original post:

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=40268

EDIT: Your truck may have the RABS II ABS set-up, I'm not sure. I think it was right around there Ford went from the first gen ABS to the second. If you can't find a black wire with an orange stripe anywhere near your parking brake pedal, you probably have RABS II. The control module for that system is behind the glove box, I can't remember how you obtain a code from that system.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online