'90 F350 Crewcab 4x4 "BFTD" Project..

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good ! Hope it runs good for ya !

As do I bud! I snuck back out to the shop and got everything else buttoned up other then the rear main and oil pan. Got the manifolds pulled off the other engine, cleaned up and painted. Everything was clean and snug under the valve covers. Other then the rust on the outside, this engine looks to be in much better condition then the previous one.

Hopefully, I'll know for sure sometime tomorrow afternoon. I wont get back to the shop 'til noon or so.. hopefully I can swing it before the cold weather sets in for the week.

More to come.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well... Long story short.. The engine is stuck between the input shaft of the trans and the engine cross member. Not enough room no matter what I do to get the engine to drop down and let the input slip into the clutch. The input almost makes it but binds up on the pressure plate fingers and it doesn't matter how I lift the engine or trans, it just won't fall into place.

At this point, I'm gonna have to slide the trans back and sit the engine in place... Then mate the trans to the engine.

I have no idea how others have managed to get it back in place with the trans still in the truck... But it just isn't happening in my case.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well... Long story short.. The engine is stuck between the input shaft of the trans and the engine cross member. Not enough room no matter what I do to get the engine to drop down and let the input slip into the clutch. The input almost makes it but binds up on the pressure plate fingers and it doesn't matter how I lift the engine or trans, it just won't fall into place.

At this point, I'm gonna have to slide the trans back and sit the engine in place... Then mate the trans to the engine.

I have no idea how others have managed to get it back in place with the trans still in the truck... But it just isn't happening in my case.

yep, that is a huge pita.
i always pull the transmission..ALWAYS.
after the engine is installed, i use 6" long bolts with the heads cut off bolted into the trans adapter.
jack the trans up and into place, then its just a matter of wiggling it into place.
i do not think it can be done at all with the cross member still in.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup. Plans are to drop the driveshafts, pull the shifter and unbolt the crossmember... slide the trans back 6" or so and sit the engine down on its mounts then slip everything back together.

I'm just hoping nothing is damaged by the time I can do it. The engine is resting against the trans and engine crossmember and I had to push it back outside so I could shut the garage. I put the hood back on the truck and stuck a plastic bin over the intake to keep any moisture out. I was soo tired and frustrated that I had to call it a night.

Its going to sit until next weekend I think unless I get some time. Between work and weather, it most likely isnt going to happen. I'll get an early start on it next Saturday and hopefully get it all back together.

It'll be coming back apart in the near future for a clutch but I want to get it on the road and see if anything else is going to need attention before spending the money.

More to come.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I'm waiting for the weather to cooperate and time to allow, I went on and ordered everything to install my coolant filter. It all should be here by next weekend so I can go on and install it before filling the system up again.

Spent a total of $64 shipped. Will need to pick up a filter and 2 tees locally, but will still be under $80 total.

GunnerJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did anyone else read the title and say "the big ******* turbo diesel project" in their head?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Last edited:

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol.. This is why I had to edit the first post for what it stood for... But that discription fits.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's weird it was that tight between the engine crossmember and transmission. I swapped engines in my 93 no problem leaving the transmission fully hooked up. I have a ZF also. I normally put a jack under the tranny and push it up as high as it will go. Normally up into the body. Then put the engine in and drop the two back down as the engine starts sitting in the mounts.

I wish you luck.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's one of the first things I tried but the input shaft would still bind on the pressure plate fingers and even though they are springs, it wouldn't push past them.

The weather sucks right now and is going to until mid next week, so I'm gonna go on and order a clutch kit and a few other things and do it all at once. That way as long as the engine is good, it won't be needing to come back out anytime soon.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stqrter should not be installed or oil filter fyi...i think I read starter was on engine.

There is no reason you should not be able to install engine if you removed it......plain and simple.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No starter.. Oil filter is off... Same way it came out other then I used a tractor to pull it and am engine hoist to drop it back in.

Don't matter at this point... I'm gonna drop the trans back... New clutch is on the way along with some other little stuff.

I noticed one of the fingers on the clutch was bent outwards... Most likely caught the input shaft on the way out the first time and I just didn't notice due to using a tractor for extraction.

Anyways, next weekend is supposed to be warm and all the parts should be in by then so I'll take my time and button it up right.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online