'90 F350 Crewcab 4x4 "BFTD" Project..

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well... didn't get time to make my "alemonum" cover.. so that'll be tomorrow.

Ended up giving a friend a hand sorting out an oil cooler. I had a bit of free time when I got home so started knocking out all the little things.

Started by swapping out the glow plugs. First 3 I pulled (passenger side) were Beru and looked ok. I'd venture to say they are original. The 4th on the passenger side (rear most) was a bit sticky coming out but came out easy enough. The tip had some damage and it was a bosch.

You must be registered for see images attach

After I got them all swapped, it ended up being 3 Beru, 3 Bosch, and 2 autolite. Some looked ok... the pictured one looks the worst. I'm assuming the crumbled tip exited the exhaust so hopefully it did no damage on its way out. That or its stuck to the piston top. Not overly worried about it at the moment. This is most likely the reason for the starting issues the guy was having when he sold the truck.

I put a fresh coat of paint on the radiator and dropped it back in place.

Tomorrow, I should be able to crank it over a bit and see whats what. Progress is slow but so far, its all in the right direction.

More to come.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you crank it with #4 glow plug out??? This might get the broken bits out before starting it.

Dave

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be priming the oil system with all 8 injectors out. Injector hole is bigger so if anything is in the cylinder or prechamber that shouldnt be, it'll blow out then.

The damaged area is carbon/soot caked so I'm assuming that its been damaged for a while. The missing piece/s are small and crumbly so I strongly doubt they did any serious damage if they didnt pass out the exhaust. We'll know when I fire it up for the first time... lol

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went back out to the shop and dug the glow plug out of the trash. Comparing it to how others look online... This one didn't break. It melted.

Parts of the electrode can be flaked off by hand. I'm going to say the missing pieces are long gone and that I got really lucky that the tip didn't break off upon removal. The tip is still full length and rounded on the end.

Still going to prime the oil system with injectors out... Just in case.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the start of my "alemonum cover"

Still need to clean it up. It was just rough cut with a cut-off wheel. Going to round it off with the belt sander when I get home. Had a bit of spare time this morning so I chucked it in the CNC engraver and added a nice touch. I saved the program so I can make more.

Anyways... more to come tonight hopefully.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is going to be awesome! I may have to chuck my cover in and give a little personal touch.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not perfect, but it'll work for now...

I'm really thinking about making another that will have the information from the valve cover sticker engraved on it around the edges. Might tinker with that later this week and come up with a way to cut a perfect circle by hand.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Still need to clean it up. It was just rough cut with a cut-off wheel. Going to round it off with the belt sander when I get home. Had a bit of spare time this morning so I chucked it in the CNC engraver and added a nice touch. I saved the program so I can make more.

Lemons are not round...

Looks freakin awezome though

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i woulda put that on the press and used a centerless hole saw,
but it looks killer!

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May very well do that on the next one... would certainly look cleaner. I may end up making up a couple and putting them in the classified section... we'll see. Once the program is setup, its pretty simple to turn them out.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something like this....

I'm going to bring in some more aluminum tomorrow if this one fits decent. We'll see.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kewl but for me it is shaped qll wrong LOL

I'd want lemon shap like factory....

And figure out how to paint it Yellow and lettering black....1 hair brush???

At least I didnt suggest

ROOST **** PINK

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol... you have some strange requests but to each their own.

Making more progress... wife called me in a bit early but I got the cover installed, starter on and wired, and dip-stick in place.

I think I like the round cover more so then the stock cover. It fits the gear housing perfectly.

I'm going to set the cutter depth a bit deeper on the ones I make tomorrow so they pop a bit more and can be filled in if desired... but that would be on you. Lol. Also, if you'd want one @riotwarrior, I can leave it square and let you cut it to any shape your heart desires. LOL

Anyways, all thats left before I can see if its builds oil pressure and see if anything blows out of the injector holes is to hook up my mech. test gauge and re-install the battery trays/batteries.

More to come.

Last edited: