'90 F350 Crewcab 4x4 "BFTD" Project..

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well.... I posted some pics on the IDI facebook page and got enough response to warrant buying tools...

I also got a request and gave it a shot... turned out ok. Not perfect... but not bad.
You must be registered for see images attach

Ordered a hole saw with an ID of ~ 3.75" which is just about right. I'll chuck them up in the press when it gets here and see what happens.

Anyways, tinkered with the truck when I got home... pulled the injectors and put power to the starter. Engine cranks over smooth... no odd noises and solid even pulses from each injector bore. Didnt blow out any coolant or any solids... and was able to build 35psi of oil pressure on the starter.

No leaks as of yet so I'd say its good to start hooking up the fuel system.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is one for oil burners too but it doesn't get much traffic.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could you make a plate with the same info a d details as on emission decal on valve cover? Essentially an engraved one instead of a decal?

Maybe customized with hp n tq rating if a guy does dyno run???

Something to think about....i woukd weld a standoff for a plate on VC....

Just curious

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So....

IT LIVES!!!! Finally!

I buttoned up the cooling system and filled it up with the coolant I had drained out of the other engine. Not the cleanest but its getting fully flushed and a coolant filter very soon.

Installed the injectors and return system, filter head and feed lines. Took 5 minutes of cranking off and on to get fuel at all the injectors. Hit it with a little starting fluid and it sputtered to life. It coughed a little and died. Cranked it over a bit longer and it fired back up and settled down to an idle.

While checking things over, I let it run for half an hour or so. It came up to temp and I burped the air out of it so the t-stat would open. It idled at 190-200 for 20 minutes (I 'have the fan on it at the moment so it very gradually came up to 200). After that length of time, oil pressure was settled in around 21psi. Pulled the oil fill cap and NO pressure at all. A bit of steam which is to be expected since it hadn't ran in over a year... but no pressure at all. No odd noises... no stumbling after the air was purged.. Ran VERY smooth with no haze and crisp throttle response.

I shut it down for the evening... Now I just need to rewire everything under the hood and have the driveshafts rebuilt and it should be road worthy.

Its getting there slowly but surely.

http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v75/AcIdBuRn52383/F350%20Crew/VID_20160227_150634371_zps0licyypu.mp4

The little squeal noise occasionally in the video is from the vac. pump suction hose. After the video, I put a bit of kroil down the hose and let it suck it up and the noise went away. Still pulls good vacuum so I figure if it doesn't make too much racket, I'll run it.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Made more progress today...

Deleted hodgepodge of crap..

Splicing harnesses...

Btw.. The engine still had its harness on it. The section containing the wiring for the alternator, tach sender, ac compressor, plugged directly into my truck's body harness. Is the wiring actually the same between the two?

Anyways... Everything engine side is done except the glow plugs...

I'm digging through diagrams at the moment to sort out a few things on the under hood body harness. Hopefully I'll have it all sorted early this week.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could you make a plate with the same info a d details as on emission decal on valve cover? Essentially an engraved one instead of a decal?

Maybe customized with hp n tq rating if a guy does dyno run???

Something to think about....i woukd weld a standoff for a plate on VC....

Just curious

I probably could depending on how large you want the plate to be. The machine I have access to has a rather small bed but I can do a fairly good sized one.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have to measure the decal. Not sure how it would look as there isn't much information on the decal but it looks OK since it's several colors and emblems... Not sure about plain aluminum.

I'll look into it.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More progress!

Finally got around to de-rednecking the wiring (no offense to fellow rednecks... lol)

Still have to build a glow plug harness which I will do this week sometime. I also now get to replace the radiator as apparently the CLR I flushed it with ate away the calcium that was keeping a leak plugged up. I had noticed on the front of the radiator, a green crusty buildup that looks like what forms on battery terminals. Figured it had been leaking but apparently my cleaning opened that leak back up. I'll be ordering a 4 core champion next friday.

On another note, now that the wiring is mostly sorted, alternator is charging great and the truck starts easily. Even after sitting all week, this engine is a world of difference from the other. Just a sniff of ether and it fired instantly (no glow plug harness yet).

Anyways... all thats really left to make it a driver is to put the rear drive shaft back in, button up the exhaust, and install the replacement radiator once I can swing it. Looking forward to having this thing up and going finally!

More to come.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online