'90 F350 Crewcab 4x4 "BFTD" Project..

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
On the last paragraph, you are correct. Very common.
Does it have a tach? What is cranking speed?
Powerstrokes need faster RPM to start because of oil pressure and they need like 200 RPM.
I'm leaning towards the pump though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure... it definitely cranks slower then my buddies '93 IDI... but I dont know if its slow enough to really cause the issue. Grasping at straws really since I didnt want to swap pumps as I dont have a good way of timing it yet. I can probably get it close enough to run though.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well... changed the starter this morning... didnt make a difference.

Let the truck warm up and shut it down.. tried to restart and nothing. Grabbed a jug of water and cooled the IP down... didnt make a difference.

Now I'm getting ready to run the supply/returns to a fuel jug and see what happens...

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well damn.

So I got it to start decently... ran a new 3/8 steal line from the tank to the lift pump. Starts in a couple revolutions instead of 10 minutes of cranking.

Decided to fix the driverside valve cover leak... pulled the cover off and found the intake rocker arm on #4 really loose. Pulled the rockers and the pushrod wouldnt move. The pushrod was jammed through the top of the lifter. Finally pryed it out and the lifter is now just a hollow body down in the bore.

I believe its time to cut my losses and just pull the engine and swap in my spare. Suck part about that is I never heard the spare engine run... so I dont know its condition. Coolant is clean... oil is dark but clean... had clean fuel in the filter... and 130k on the odometer when it was pulled.

Yay... lol

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
Think replacing the lifter would do the trick? It's only an intake manifold away...

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Considering the blowby this engine has... the oil leaks... starting issues... And I have no idea where the guts of the lifter ended up or what damage they may have caused... I think I'd rather not risk it and put this one on the back burner for overhaul sometime this year.

The engine is ready to come out. Just have to pull the motor mount bolts now. Hopefully the other engine is in much better shape... otherwise this truck is down until spring/summer when I have time to rebuild one of them.

Now I just gotta get the nose of the truck into the shop so my engine hoist will move. Once in the garage, I'll pull the hood, pull the motor mount bolts and last 2 bell housing bolts... then most likely, I'll pull the front tires and sit the nose on the ground so I dont have to pick that heavy SOB up so high.

If all goes well, it'll be on the ground tomorrow.

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
12 bolts remove front clip only hqve to lift engine over bumper....so much more room to work.

Make sure rebuild and reseal oil cooler before installing extra engine....

As the Fram filter add said...pqy me now or pay me later....now easy later hard.

But wadda I know:dunno

Lol

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
12 bolts remove front clip only hqve to lift engine over bumper....so much more room to work.

Make sure rebuild and reseal oil cooler before installing extra engine....

As the Fram filter add said...pqy me now or pay me later....now easy later hard.

But wadda I know:dunno

Lol

Was planning on the oil cooler.

Would u happen to have a link or something on pulling the front clip? I thought about it but figured it would be a pain. I'll do some searching. I'm all for it if it's that simple.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
I've always pulled the rad support on these trucks when pulling engines. Supposedly fenders come off easy with it but I've never had trouble doing just the rad support. If you haven't done rad support bushings plan to do those, easy while it's apart.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well... No luck pulling the front clip or radiator support. Soo much of the hardware will need to be cut out, I'll have to replace the majority of the front clip by the time it's apart.

The engine hoist I have doesn't have enough capacity at its extended length... So that's a no go.

Plan now is to bring the tractor home from work. It's got a front end loader mounted with a 1200# capacity. Hopefully it'll be enough. I had the engine up a few inches but just didn't want to risk destroying anything... Decided to wait.

If this doesn't work, its going on a trailer and going to my work where I've got a 20ton crane.

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
I pulled mine with the turbo on it by taking nothing but the hood off. Taking off the bumper would've been better. (I've pulled 4 IDIs in 3 years. 2 Pulling core support, 1 with just bumper& grill, and now this last one with just hood. Rusty hardware make front clip nearly impossible, BTDT). Very tight, but N/A should make that better. I used my engine hoist in the 1/2 ton setting. With the bumper off you could probably slide the tube into the 1 ton setting for a better safety margin.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This hoist just isn't big enough. It's a 1ton from harbor freight... In the 1/2 ton spot, it was still pulling hard to the front of the truck.

The tractor should make quick work of it. Plus, my other engine is in a cut-off sitting covered behind the shop. No way to get am engine hoist to it.