89 CC build thread Frame off resto!! - Bad Idea

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Well it was a big weekend. I got the floor primed with OMNI Epoxy Primer and then put the 1st coat of Lizard skin Sound Control on the bottom of the floor and the bottom of the roof. I love the way it looks after it's applied. This is after the 1st coat. I have another coat of the sound control to go and then I need to put on the Insulation.

Hopefully Tuesday night I'll be putting on the Lizard skin Insulation products.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have any pictures, but the cabs ready for Prime, paint, and Lizard skin. I got all the surface cracks welded up. Seams are seam sealed. Dents are pulled and filled as needed. I also installed bolts for rear seatbelt harnesses.

I'll try to get some pictures up this weekend.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This is how many stress cracks I chased around this front corner. The whole upper fender mount was about to break off.

This is what I found under the windshield with the urethane removed. Not stoked about that, but a wire wheel on a grinder should have it ready for primer.

And this is the handy dandy windshield removal tool. It worked much better once I sharpened up it's blade.

Now I need to get paint colors nailed down and start getting paint and lizard on it before it goes on the frame.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got my colors picked out now. I had always planned on doing white with some sort of red two-tone with red interior like it was. The other night when I was looking at a new white ford truck and there was a king ranch sitting by it. I didn't check it out too much, but did point it out to my wife. Anyway I got to thinking about it later and I really like this color scheme on the King Ranches. Dark Copper and Arizona Beige. I'm going to paint up my truck to emulate a King Ranch style truck.

And I've always loved their interiors with the light tan and dark tan/brown seats. I found a place that can make leather covers for my current 40/20/40 seats. I got samples coming for the seats and carpet from a couple different places. I have the same seat in the front and rear positions in my truck. I'll recolor the plastics using interior paint. I was planning to paint all the red stuff anyway as it's all faded different. It's adding complexity, but in the end I'll end up with a truck I'm happier with. I'll also need to get my seat belts redone in a light tan and recover the head liner. Should be brand spanking new in there when done.

Before

After

Before

After

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tonight we did more sanding and even some more welding. One of the little tabs for the cowl cover was broken off. Fabbed up a new one and welded it in. Hopefully I'll finish up the sanding this week and get it into primer this weekend. Never moves fast enough. And I don't know about you guys but I HATE sanding.

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
awesome build up that lizard skin stuff is amazing have you used it before? when i worked at the hotrod shop we used it on about every car it makes a huge diffrence i couldnt tell are you spraying it on the inside and outside of the floor?

we did that on a 66 protouring chevelle we did man that was the nicest lizard skin job we did... almost makes it impossible for the floor to rust

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
awesome build up that lizard skin stuff is amazing have you used it before? when i worked at the hotrod shop we used it on about every car it makes a huge diffrence i couldnt tell are you spraying it on the inside and outside of the floor?

we did that on a 66 protouring chevelle we did man that was the nicest lizard skin job we did... almost makes it impossible for the floor to rust

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the compliments. I've never used Lizard Skin before 1st time. Sprays out nice and leaves a cool surface. My plan it to do the underside and inside of the floor cab rear wall and firewall. I'm also spraying the underside of the roof and the inside of the doors. Everywhere I checked on it people loved it. So i went with it. I hope it helps. Can't see how it would hurt though.

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
with that much coverage it will feel sound and act like a new truck in the doors is a very good idea your noise level will be that of a new car. i would venture to say if you did the inside and outside of the firewall it would be diffucult to here the engine with the windows up... i dont know how far you are wanting to go with deading and heat control but if you also apply FatMat on all those surfaces that would be the upmost luxury.

spraying the bottom side of your bed and inner bedsieds would be nice as well but then again thats ALOT of lizard skin and can start to get expensive

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was my plan to make it basically as quiet and comfy as a new truck. I am going to reinstall some of the jute back type insulation on the firewall also. The old firewall had stuff both sides, but i"m going to just add Jute stuff to the inside. I figure to keep the outside with just Lizard will make it easier to keep clean. Yeah i got about $150 bucks or so of product on the truck with the little bit I've done and figure I'll hit about $600 in lizard skin when done. Oh and the carpet I'm going to install with have a sound deadening sprayed on the back of it also.

Have you had your back door panels off? there is not a lot of openings to spray product through to the inside. I'll have to get creative to get lizard inside the back doors.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Got the cab into primer. I sprayed an epoxy on everything 1st. Then i put down a Urethane primer over the areas I plan to block sand. You can also see what I did for a visor mount. I put 10-24 nutserts into the roof to hold the visor. When It comes time to mount the visor I'll put some stailness 10-24 button head bolts in it.

I also got lizard skin sprayed on the interior and exteriors. This is how it looks after the 2 coats of sound control. 2 more coats of insulation and we are good.

Next I need to sand out the roof and cab corners. Then I'm onto paint!!

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah black stuff is lizard skin. It does look like a bedliner, but not as rugged. Sprays out of a special gun they sell. Lays out well. Goes pretty quick. I have 3 gallons of sound control on so far and will have 3 gallons of insulation on also when I'm done with the cab. Then the doors will get some. And the hood and fenders if it goes that far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk