89 CC build thread Frame off resto!! - Bad Idea

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I'm switching to a NP205 in my project just because it's a hell of a lot tougher then a NP208,BW13-45 or 13-56. Plus it can be twin sticked.:D

I have seen dozens of 1356s behind 500+hp diesels and not one of them has failed. O did i mention they are 4wd drag trucks.

Just because a 205 is "stronger" does not make it necessary. It is like putting in rockwells because they are stronger

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
since we are talking transfer cases, i have been planning to use a np203 in my f350. its out of a 78 ford bronco and supposed to lock in 4wh and 4wl. the shifter says 4whigh lock, 4whigh, neutral, 4wlow, 4wlow lock. its supposed to lock the frt and rear axles together so the rear tires cant spin faster then the frt. i will also have limited slip diffs frt and rear so i think it should work real well for a daily driver in all weather and working offroad. but to stay on topic, nice build.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on running the 205 as I rounded it up cheap and the np208 I was running has a growl and a lot of metal flake in the fluid. I also will be running 80-90 in my whole drivetrain then. I have also thought about twin sticking the 205.

I'll post some pictures of all the stress cracks when I start working on the cab. One of fender mounts fell right off. My radiator support had the exact same cracks.

I'm not fond of the bricknose either and will be updating to the 92 up front end.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be looking at my 205 regarding that side mount. I was thinking some of them had mounts under them, but it's probably the divorced cases I'm thinking of.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be looking at my 205 regarding that side mount. I was thinking some of them had mounts under them, but it's probably the divorced cases I'm thinking of.

married had them as well. my 203 has the bracket that was discussed eariler

Fordman75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen dozens of 1356s behind 500+hp diesels and not one of them has failed. O did i mention they are 4wd drag trucks.

Just because a 205 is "stronger" does not make it necessary. It is like putting in rockwells because they are stronger

They are fine when they are freshly rebuilt. But when they get miles on them the chains stretch( I've seen a couple with busted cases from the chains LOL ), and the 13-56 is known for pump failures due to shearing the tabs off.

For me I was going to have my truck down to the bare frame and I had a good NP205 so it just made sense. That and I wanted a twin stick transfercase. I'll never have to worry about the np205 taking a dump on me. I have had a 208 and a 13-56 fail. It kind of sucks to need 4wd and the transfercase won't work.-cuss

And as far as the Rockwells go that really depends what you are using the truck for.:D

since we are talking transfer cases, i have been planning to use a np203 in my f350. its out of a 78 ford bronco and supposed to lock in 4wh and 4wl. the shifter says 4whigh lock, 4whigh, neutral, 4wlow, 4wlow lock. its supposed to lock the frt and rear axles together so the rear tires cant spin faster then the frt. i will also have limited slip diffs frt and rear so i think it should work real well for a daily driver in all weather and working offroad. but to stay on topic, nice build.

The problem with the NP203 is it's a full time 4wd transfercase. So it's a lot more wear and tear on your front diff parts. Most guys rob the range boxes off the 203's and add them to the 205 with an adapter kit so they have a lower crawl ratio. Not really needed for the street though.

The 203 is not a good choice for a street truck. You are much better with a 205. Plus the 203 has a chain to deal with.

The divorced cases had there own style mounts. They were a completely different set up.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem with the NP203 is it's a full time 4wd transfercase. So it's a lot more wear and tear on your front diff parts. Most guys rob the range boxes off the 203's and add them to the 205 with an adapter kit so they have a lower crawl ratio. Not really needed for the street though.

The 203 is not a good choice for a street truck. You are much better with a 205. Plus the 203 has a chain to deal with.

i understand that 100% but that is what lock-in/lock-out hubs are for.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes but with hubs unlocked the d shaft pumpkin and axles still spin which is over 75 % of components moving

88F350idi

Reaction score
I have a married np205 in my 88 regular cab f350 and it is great...except the front driveshaft does not line up great with the front dana 60 causing uneven compound angles and major vibrations in 4wd. i'm thinking the only real solution is to get a driveshaft with cv's at both ends. just thought i'd make mention. Still better than stretching chains in my 13-56.

Last edited:

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Cool project! ;Sweet That color scheme and brick nose is almost identical to mine :love:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My understanding of the NP205, is that it is an all gear case with no chain. The hard core off-road guys claim they are better than the 1356/1345, and I respect their opionion. They are in 4X4 almost all the time, compared to us who only use it occassionally. If I could have a cast iron transfer case that was all gear, I'd probably opt for that on principle alone. I don't blame anyone for switching. However, our alluminum 1345/56 cases tend to hold up just fine for the amount of 4X4 most of these trucks will ever see, and I will not be swapping mine out.

Fordman75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I know is I had a 87 fullsize Bronco with a manual shift 13-56 in it. It wasn't an off road rig. Just my daily driver. And I had the 13-56 fail on me when I needed it.:mad: So it kind of changed my opinion of them. :rolleyes: So on my truck swapping in the NP205 was a no brainer. But it is far from a bolt in swap. And the 205 is much narrower then the aluminum cases.

But in my opinion it's hard to beat a bullet proof set up.;Sweet

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK this is why taking the truck down to the bare frame was a bad Idea. I'm just now getting back to working on the truck. I wonder why it's been torn down for 5 years???

I was overseas for work for 2 weeks so that killed the 1st part of march and a weekend before and after to get ready and recover. Those overseas trips are a killer.

My wife WON a flock of sheep on the internet so we have been getting ready for those the last month. GUYS watch what your wife does on the internet. I thought maybe she had a boyfriend, watching ****, or buying junk on QVC. No she was entering an essay contest in which the winner wins a flock of sheep. So in a couple weeks we'll be going to virginia to get them picked up. Could really use the truck on that run. I'm completely fine with the critters. She is a big knitter and spinner so she will actually take the sheep wool and turn it into stuff. Like mittens, hats, sweaters, and CASH.

So last night I cut on my US gear to case to make clearance for the shifter of the NP205. I also turned my engine over for the 1st time in 5 years. I was nervous the rings would be rusted to the bores, but a little battery got her to spin. Sounded GOOD also. Didn't run with no fuel ofcourse, but it was still sweat Music. once I get the new transmission bracket built I'll powerwash everything good and remove the transimssions and case so they can get painted. I want everyhing fresh. Oh the y-pip that was still on the engine was full of water so it blew alll of that out into the shop also. Definitely didn't get in the engine, but a good reminder TO GET THIS THING DONE!!

I'm also getting my rear swaybar bushings drilled out. The bushings came to me for like a 7/8" swaybar. I have a 1.125" swaybar. So I'm drilling them largere to accomodate. I'm sure energy suspension has the right bushings, but I ordered these years ago and have easy access to a 1.125" drill.

Atleast I'm making progress once again. I'll try to post more pictures as I complete stuff.

OH and I included an extra shot of my Keller power hacksaw. It looks pathetic, but works really well. I've been amazed by that little thing.

Jeremy

Attachments

• 041401_2146[00].jpg
    041401_2146[00].jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 98
  • 041401_2134[01].jpg
    041401_2134[01].jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 041401_2134[00].jpg
    041401_2134[00].jpg
    46 KB · Views: 104