G injectors or not

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Classic Diesel Designs 90cc IP. I have had it a while and am now installing it as preventive maintenance.

The engine is a 93 turbo. The vehicle is an 84 E350 van, so the turbo is on the frame at about the back of the trans. It gets a few pounds of boost, especially in third gear up hill.

Somehow I was once convinced I should use G injectors. So I have a set. But subsequent comments has left me wondering. I am not asking what is absolute best, but rather should I install them? Or should I just keep the existing, which came in the 89 engine I got to replace the 460. The engine starts and runs fine.

The original IP from the 89 engine died several years ago. The current IP was advertised as "turbo". I cannot read the tag until I remove the unit.

TY
Ray

Last edited:

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
From what I understand, there's only two types of injectors offered by any reputable vendor anymore. 'Stock injectors' or 'stage 1 injectors'
Who made the injectors?
From what I gather about injectors, 'stock' injectors are essentially BB code.

Reading up on G codes, seems like people get better fuel economy and power with BB over G codes. Looks like G codes are set to a higher pop off pressure.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
“All stock IDI injectors pop the same pressure, they all have the same orifice diameter, the only difference in codes was minor changes to the pintle that didn't do anything.”

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I understand, there's only two types of injectors offered by any reputable vendor anymore. 'Stock injectors' or 'stage 1 injectors'
Who made the injectors?

Reading up on G codes, seems like people get better fuel economy and power with BB over G codes. Looks like G codes are set to a higher pop off pressure.
I have higher pop pressure injectors in my 86, has 7.3 with Hypermax turbo. I don’t think the injectors are a specific code really…

It doesn’t sound like an IDI at all if you ask me…

No smoke

Fuel economy ain’t great but that has more to do with my heavy right foot I think

Ain’t no issue with power…

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Who made the injectors?

I have higher pop pressure injectors in my 86, has 7.3 with Hypermax turbo. I don’t think the injectors are a specific code really…
To add to these guys, these days, unless you happen to have a set of OEM injectors, then the code doesn't make a difference. When they are rebuilt, they are set to the rebuilder's preferred specs.
That said, if you know that your G code injectors are in good shape, then, by all means, install them. Pumps and injectors internally wear at the same rate and should be replaced as a set for the best performance. Since your last IP died years ago, then it's time to replace the injectors too. While they still run your engine, they are also very worn. Replacing them will probably give you more power, better fuel economy, and, maybe, a little bit more boost.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I used a couple sets back when they where available. I dont remember how much, but towing mpg was much better with the g codes vs bb.

If you dont use the g codes and want to sell them, I would be interested in them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online