87 ranger diesel

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think they had either a little Mazda diesel or a little Brazilian powerplant. My uncle had one a bit older than that I think and he wishes he had never sold it. I bet that new IP is gonna cost you, but you could probably run bio, WMO or WVO in it and get 30-40 mpg and still have some truck capabilities. This truck pulled a 24' Stamas with a big v8 I/O motor an admittedly short distance to the boat ramp, but a steep ramp it was, without ever breaking down...

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have one on of those.

The engine is a mitsubishi 4D55T diesel engine. 2.3L turbocharged. The 2.3 turbo was offered from 1985-1987 in the ranger. Earlier ones had N/A 2.2 perkins, 1982-1984 I think.

Right now I'm having trouble with the injection pump becasue after nearly $1000 worth of overhaul on the dam thing it won't run right and I'm loosing patience with the shop that did the work. It uses the bosch VE rotary pump. The exact version that is used on the ranger is rare, but the basic design of the VE is VERY common and it shares a lot in common with the diesel IPs used on the cummins 12V as well as the VW diesels of that era. Getting parts or getting it overhauled may be more expencive than the DB2 pump, but they do last longer and parts are readily available.

Weak points are the aluminum head, ribber timing belt (interference engine) and the lack of bottom end torque. The head can be replaced with the newer stronger one from the 4D56 in the event of a blown head gasket and warped or cracked head (original 4d55 head not available). The powerband is just something you get used to and once you get close to 1500, that tiny little turbo spools really nice. Overall its a great little motor and fun to drive. It will get close to 30 MPG but I dropped this one in a 4x4 ex-cab ranger that has tall rear springs and 235 tires. The originals were typically installed in regular cab trucks with 2wd so more than 30 MPG is certainly possible.

As a warning, its only rated at 85 Hp, though it feels more like 110 because of the torque.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
David has most of it correct.

Is funny,

My 84 B2000 gasser is rated at 76 HP.

The 84 diesel was rated at 85 HP.

The Turbo 2.3 was rated at 95 HP

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
DUDE BUY IT!
The 87 has the Mitsubishi 2.3L Turbocharged Diesel engine in it and its an awesome engine. Gets amazing MPG, and you can actually pull a trailer with the thing.
If I could find one of those around here I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Sounds like the IP might be the one issue with them, as they seem to be pretty difficult to find. But if you can track down a good IP shop then I'd just send the one it has in and have it re manufactured. Call Midwest Fuel Injection and see what they can do for you.

What condition is the rest of the truck in?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya my buddy had one of those Turbo Diesel Rangers, many years ago. Just a little more on it for ya; the engine is not the only thing they changed. My buddies was a reg cab 4x4, his rotors and calipers where different on the front because of the diesel and more difficult to get....least around here.

The truck was great for bombing around town and short trips but not too cool on the highway. It didn't have the gearing for highway.

I am looking for one of the trucks and a Bronco II to install it into as I think that would be a great combo.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Right now I'm having trouble with the injection pump becasue after nearly $1000 worth of overhaul on the dam thing it won't run right and I'm loosing patience with the shop that did the work.

I hate to say this, but if you spent $1000 on work on a VE and it still doesn't work right, you've been seriously screwed. I mess with a bunch of european diesels with VE pumps. You should be able to get a new one out of Germany for around $1500, Or at least get a line on one of the factory reman units which are great.
An in shop rebuild on one of those things usually runs about $500, 750 max

After all that money, have they not made good on the repair work? Was it a Bosch authorized injection service center? if it was and they won't make it right?
I know the Bosch USA website is pretty useless ( ok, completely useless ), but if you go to the company headquarters website in germany and email them ( assuming it was serviced at a Bosch authorized center ) you will get a lot further, and don't worry, they speak perfect English.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya my buddy had one of those Turbo Diesel Rangers, many years ago. Just a little more on it for ya; the engine is not the only thing they changed. My buddies was a reg cab 4x4, his rotors and calipers where different on the front because of the diesel and more difficult to get....least around here.

The truck was great for bombing around town and short trips but not too cool on the highway. It didn't have the gearing for highway.

I am looking for one of the trucks and a Bronco II to install it into as I think that would be a great combo.

Ours will peg the speedo on flat ground. At least My syster was able to (its her truck), I could only get it to 80 when I drove it:dunno I know because I had to peg my F250 to catch her during a "test run" of the ranger. It pulls about like a V6 of the same era, at times it feels like more power, other times if feels like less.

Bomming around town its great. Once that turbo spools it will squeal the tires. I would recommend relatively low differential gearing and a 5 speed tranny. Outs is geared a little tall with the mitsubishi tranny and the 235/75 tires don't really help either. The original had the toyo kogo which had closer gear spread, but since the donor truck was a 2wd, I had to mod the mitsu tranny to the diesel.

RLDSL,

The shop is a reputable outlet and yes he is an authorized dealer (His record is clean on the BBB website). He actually won a trip for two to montreal because bosch had a promo for the best dealer in the province, which turns out to be him. After discussing the situation with him again today, I think we will get to the bottom of it and I feel I can trust him. He was going to stop by our shop after work to have a look at the truck to see what its doing because neither of us have seen anything like this before. He wasn't able to make it this evening, but after running the engine a little harder, I can now drive the truck, so I'll probably just drive it to his shop where he can see it. The pump was run on his testing equipment and everything was in spec so this has both of us really stumped.

It pulls well and runs nice but it will still idle poorly sometimes (almost like a lawn mower with a bad governor). I've dealt with worse problems and I'm not gonna let this little truck off the hook. We like it too much even with the problems.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
RLDSL,

The shop is a reputable outlet and yes he is an authorized dealer (His record is clean on the BBB website). He actually won a trip for two to montreal because bosch had a promo for the best dealer in the province, which turns out to be him. After discussing the situation with him again today, I think we will get to the bottom of it and I feel I can trust him. He was going to stop by our shop after work to have a look at the truck to see what its doing because neither of us have seen anything like this before. He wasn't able to make it this evening, but after running the engine a little harder, I can now drive the truck, so I'll probably just drive it to his shop where he can see it. The pump was run on his testing equipment and everything was in spec so this has both of us really stumped.

It pulls well and runs nice but it will still idle poorly sometimes (almost like a lawn mower with a bad governor). I've dealt with worse problems and I'm not gonna let this little truck off the hook. We like it too much even with the problems.

Have you had the injectors out yet to have them tested? Not likely, surging like that is usually in the pump, but it's possible.
Also is there an anaeroid on that pump ( hat shaped do hicky on top of the IP for increasing fuel when boost increases ), If the little vacuum line going to the intake manifold from that contraption has a leak, you can get surging sometimes.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The aneroid is connected properly and seems to be working well. I can't make black smoke even if I wanted to with this truck, its a very clean burner.

This aneroid actually has two fittings on it. One goes to the intake for the boost pressure signal and the other goes to a vacuum source.

I runs and hauls smooth and clean, but the idle qualtiy just isn't there yet. We'll get it figured eventually.:backoff ;Sweet

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
any body have a good source for getting some spider gears my ranger needs some and i cant get them at napa he said i have to go to ford so any body know where i can get some for cheap or at a reasonable price thanks for the help

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
i just called sanderson ford in phoenix and they have them for 94 bucks and thats with our good pricing but thanks anyway RLDSL