7.3 Water Pump Question

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
Few questions guys......................

Preference on Motorcraft or Napa water pump (one better then the other) ???

Do you need the Water pump gasket or just gasket sealer or Both ???

Fan Clutch..... is it a left hand thread to remove ???

Anything else need to be removed other than the fan shroud, fan, fan clutch, belt and pulley in order to remove and replace the water pump ???

Thought about replacing the fan clutch while I had it apart but $170.00 for a severe duty fan clutch !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :puke: cookoo

Thanks for the input.............

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
3M weatherstrip cement is the best sealant to stick the gasket to the water pump. Then a very thin coating of rtv and the pump will seal enything. Remember the two top bolts are a special length and they require sealant just likr the bottom two bolts. These 4 bolts enter the oil pan side of the motor and oil splashing around them will leak past the threads if no sealant isn't used. Leave the belts on the pulleys and then loosen the 4 bolts that hold the pulley to the pump shaft. Then you can remove the belts. They will hold the pulley from turning when you try to remove the bolts. Get the plate really clean so the new gasket can seal...

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never used a NAPA pump, but the Autozone reman was not worth the lifetime warranty. It only lasted 20,000 miles. I went with a new Ford pump. I came with a gasket and four new bolts (the top two and bottom two Gary mentioned), and instructions to ensure you know which bolts need sealant.

The fan clutch is left hand thread. It requires a 1 and 7/8 inch wrench IIRC. I use a 1 and 7/8 wrench on the fan clutch nut and a huge set of channel locks to hold the front of the pulley to remove the fan clutch and put it back on. Remember left tightens and right loosens.

I take all the bolts out of the shourd and let it hang on there until I get the clutch loose. I then remove the fan, fan clutch, and shroud all together.

Gary's right about loosening the four bolts that hold the pulley on the water pump before you pull the belts. Otherwise, it can be a struggle to get them loose.

Be careful not to ding up the radiator during the swap.

Heath

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
So it sounds like no other accessories are in the way like the power steering pump, etc ??

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Nope, the water pump is really easy to access on these trucks...at least the serpentine motors are which your should be. I was pleasntly surprised at how easily I was able to remove and install the new pump. Don't over torque the pump bolts though as the plate they bolt to can be warped if you aren't careful.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
I went to International and got a water pump for $52.00 a couple weeks ago.

I put it side by side with the one I pulled off and it looked like a quality unit so I bought it.

Mines a V-belt, don't know if it's same or different for serp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online