7.3 into a 97 F250 4x4

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I have a deal in the works to "straight trade" my 96 F150 4x4 for a 97 F250 4x4...The 97 has a 460 in it so I'd want to replace it with the Powerstroke-E4OD from the 97 Ford 1-ton van I have. The F250 has an E40D trans as well....What all would I need for the swap? The F250 has dual tanks, what would I need for the fuel system to get it compatible?

Here's my list, please add the things I missed.

F350 Rad support
rad (would the van's rad fit?)
7.3L engine mounts

On the electrical side, is there anything that I'd need to consider?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you will need the diesel radiator support,good luck with that!also you will need all the wireing from the engine compartment,engine harness and the dash harness along with the gauges,PCM and IDM from a 94.5-97 PSD pickup wih the e4od.you will also need a radiator from a pickup as the van radiator is different and wont fit no matter what you do to it.you will need the fuel lines,sending unit/s and the tank/s for a PSD pickup as well.you will also need the drivers side exhaust manifold,drivers side uppipe,oil cooler and motor mounts from a PSD pickup.if your gonna go this far you might as well massage the firewall and stuff a 3" down pipe in it from the start.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Good info, I have a F350 rad support lined up to buy if I want it...New in the box for cheap too. I can make my own exhaust down-pipe. What does the PSD uses for a fuel lift pump? Intank or on frame and how much PSI does it put out.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it under the turbo.i forget how much it pumps out though as i havent had a stock fuel pump in a year :D

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I was thinking about this swap over supper....I don't think I would need all the wiring....Follow me on this and see if I'm right - The stock dash cluster in the 97 should work, the speedo runs off the rear diff sensor right? As for gauges I would be using aftermarket stuff anyways - not a big fan of electric gauges.

As for the engine harness, I could strip it from the van and just splice the PSD portion needed into the truck, the stock F250 harness for the a/c, alternator and etc should still work. Why couldn't I use the PCM and IDM from my 97 E350? The van still runs and drives and it already has an E40D. I believe the van has an oil cooler as well.....As for the fuel tanks, I don't see why I couldn't use the stock F250 tanks if the lift pump is engine mounted anyways.

There is a 94ísh 7.3L IDI parts truck behind the shop that I work at and I've already been talking to the owner to see if I could buy it....There would be a rad, 3rd E40D tranny, rad support, exhaust manifold and etc.....This might work yet...LOL

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
trust me you need the wireing from a pickup with a PSD in it.the vans engine compartment wireing wont fit,its all to short.all the wires need for the PSD wont be found in the gassers wireing.if you just want to hack it together and hope it runs thats fine with me,its your truck,do what you want but i wont give anymore help or suggestions after this.theres only one way to do things,the right way.you could use the vans IDM and possibly the PCM,not sure about the PCM though.

as for fuel system there has been talk about the galvinizing on the gassers tank being eatin away by the diesel and sucked up into the fuel system.not something you would ant to get into a psd injector,$$$$$$.whether it is true or not i dont know :dunno

the IDI radiator wont work either the hoses are in different locations.and nothing bolted to the IDI block will fit the PSD.about the only thing you can use off that truck would be the fuel tanks and radiator support if its a 92-97 diesel truck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7