7.3 into 1984 chevy k20

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive owned many chevys and many fords. IMHO, i wouldnt stick this glorious powerplant into anything but a ford or an IH.
i hate the fact that im using GM axles in my 63 project, but it is what it is.
if you decide to do this, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, address and reinforce the driverside frame horn.
they all crack, total crap design.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Must be so much fun to bash other makes of diesel engines LOL

nah, you read me wrong, I dont understand why the gm idi even gets brought up, they are not in the same league as the
6.9 7.3. And there is no changing my mind, I have owned enough of each to know.

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well I'm not looking at ford vs chevy. I'm looking at the best advice I can give for a budget daily driver project based on what's worth the cash and effort. personally I wouldn't spend the time and money to build something that I can buy pretty cheap. I wanted a diesel pick up so I found a good deal on my 89 7.3 p/u. However I also wanted a small diesel power 4x4 jeep style trail rig for knocking around in the pines so I built a vw powered tracker. At the end of the day I can sell my p/u and get most or all of the money I spent on back. I'll be lucky to get 1/2 of it back from the tracker, even if I part it out and that doesn't count the 100's of hrs spent building it. I'm not a vw fan, but what other small diesels are an affordable option? I'm also not a geo fan, but it is a lightweight, cheap 4x4 platform. I can get parts in any junkyard or parts store so practicality beats out idealism for me these days.
When I was young I crapped away more time and money on chromoly aftrermarket crap then I care to think about. So if you really want a diesel powered dialy driving blazer I would sell the pile of parts and find the cleanest diesel blazer I could find. If you want a 7.3 powered vehicle then buy an old ford or build a bronco. Ford motor into a ford truck will be a much easier swap project to cut your teeth vs building a franken-swap truck.( I'm just guessing it's a first because you had to ask) If you want a project for project's sake, then have it. You'll have something that you know in side and out so you can get back on the road faster when it breaks.

IDIDieselJay

Reaction score
I'm not looking to sell it someday and make any money off it. I just want to have a unique daily driver and yes if I do the swap i would know where the weak spots are we able to fix is there any spots I should strengthen on the frame if I do the swap ? And is there a way for me to hook up a speedo again?

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't say do it to MAKE money, but it is nice to be able to recover most/all of your investment because someday it will be for sale. In other words, would you pay me 5k$ for a 3k$ truck? 'cause that's the same thing.

as already suggested: http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/3099/ and I used one like this one my M715 built on a 3/4 ton gm frame http://www.ebay.com/itm/Warrior-Pro...Parts_Accessories&hash=item589c21a0f8&vxp=mtr

If you run a 205 as mentioned, you should be able to find a match. There's lots of 1ton gm trucks with that case. The fun part is finding the right one. I spent lots of time behind the counter in the parts isle matching up odds and ends. I put a chevy 203 into 2 different jeeps, the M-715 and an old willys p/u. I cant remember if I used a jeep or a gm cable, but both rigs had a working speedo. Hell, it should be easier these days with the internet. Best thing I had to work with was a jc whittney book.