7.3 IDI in a '73-'79

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. Thanks. The Idea of the newer frame section came from a Youtube vid where the guy took the front frame from a 199? Dodge 4x4 and grafted onto a 197? Ford Camper Special 2WD. I Figured it'd work just as easy in a Ford/Ford application.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FE's are not "Y blocks" they are a 90 degree V like most V engines. The Y block was the tiny lifter 292/312 and other smaller displacement engine that preceded the FE. The FE was loosely based on the MEL motor, but shares nothing whatsoever with the Y block.

OK, got me there. I've got to learn to not reference two families of engines when thinking of one, or get some sleep at night so I don't think so off topic. Truth is that the FE 360 I previously ran in my 73 F100 4x4 Highboy with 4 speed got me 16 mpg just before the end. I credit the 33" tires on stock gears, careful 2bbl rebuild, and the points I just put in. Granted that was just before the tired engine politely told me it needed rebuilding. The engine only spent most of its 60K miles in the 20 y/o body pulling farm equipment and product. The Y block was in an older truck that I was thinking of.

But back to the topic at hand, and that's an IDI swap into a 70's chassis.

I'm all for it, no matter the work involved. My '77 F250 highboy with the 351m has been crying for something all oily smelling to run inside it. And with the 86 I have the 6.9 in now needing some pretty hefty body and front end work done to it, I am considering it also. Since it has a divorced 205 I just don't know if i want to retain the stock 4 speed or convert to the C6 on the back of the diesel. Either way, it will be a lot of work, but in the end it will be a custom rig which is always worth it to me. Even if I have to bust my back trying to remove the body mounts to put a minor body lift in for the engine clearance, and maybe preparation for a turbo someday.

With a welder, some steel, patience, and somewhere tin and vehicle can sit separate from each other for a while, we cam build whatever we want however we want it. If the amount of work is worth it, well that depends on what you want in the end. Just don't do any custom work half-assed and it should turn out fine. Maybe a money pit, but if it's what you want and the factory doesn't offer it, then you've definitely got a unique vehicle.

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the quote in your signature about combining an ag engine and your truck.:thumbsup: A fella I know of is working on putting a John Deere 6-466T engine in his 82 Ford F350. It promises to be a killer beast when he's done due to the fact that the engine is built to Farm Stock tractor pulling specs. It kinda has me inspired to do the same thing someday. That is, when my rich uncle gets out of the poorhouse.

69crewcab

Reaction score
I'm building what you want right now, I have a 78 Crewcab 4x4 and i'm using a mid 80's Diesel crossmember that needs to be trimmed but will fit in the frame of a 73-79 truck.
Once mounted to the 6.9 and lowered in place i can either bolt it in or weld it up.
A 6.9 with a turbo and zf-5spd is what i have planned, I have the 6.9 and Zf, just waiting on a good deal for a turbo :)

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm building what you want right now, I have a 78 Crewcab 4x4 and i'm using a mid 80's Diesel crossmember that needs to be trimmed but will fit in the frame of a 73-79 truck.
Once mounted to the 6.9 and lowered in place i can either bolt it in or weld it up.
A 6.9 with a turbo and zf-5spd is what i have planned, I have the 6.9 and Zf, just waiting on a good deal for a turbo :)

You can always cut and weld, but if you are dealing with a 4x4 the biggest difference in drivetrain layout between the 1959 through 79 4x4's and the 1980 through 2009 4x4's is the front axle pinion offset is quite a bit different.

If you put the 1980-up engine crossmember (yes, 1980+ 2wd and 4x4 crossmembers and the entire from for the most part are identicle) in a pre-79 4x4 with pre-79 front axle your axle and crossmember might be fighting for the same space if you don't use a healthy lift.

It's the exact same scenario as putting a 73-79 F150 Dana 44 under a 1980-1997 F150 4x4 to replace the TTB. The 44 bolts right in after you add a track bar mount, but the diffy is right against the crossmember without a few inches of lift.

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score

So then I take it you're just using the front Crossmember, Right? What I'm talking about is the entire front frame section (basically from the firewall froward) from the '80 and newer truck. That way, all the front end and drive train components will line up good. The framerail widths are the same, right? Dad's '79 F250 had 38" rails and so does our '04 F250, so i's assuming it's the same across all generations then, correct?

dukedrummer89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sorry and am going to apologize in advance,

If you want to remain brand loyal you better put that 7.3 in a IH Scout.

Now that I got that over with, I have never swapped one into an older truck but,
I would think it would be easier in that bodystyle, there is plenty of room in there.

I bet someone will chime in a give you the gory details on just how it is done. Good Luck.

hahahaLOLLOLLOL

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn! Now I want to rip my vehicles apart and make an IDI Chimera!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online