7.3 IDI in a '73-'79

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just so happen to be lucky enough to have a spare 7.3IDI laying around that needs to be put into something. Dad and I talked about how cool it'd be to have that 7.3 in a 1973 to 1979 Ford (He had an F250 Dually, 460, C6, 2WD, 3.55 Dana 60, for 20 years that he bought new in 1979, so, yeah, we're kinda partial to that body style!). Anyhow, I've seen a few '73-'79's running around with IDI's in them, and I was wondering what all's involved in doing the swap, as far as motor mounts and clearace and whatnot.

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
I am sorry and am going to apologize in advance,

If you want to remain brand loyal you better put that 7.3 in a IH Scout.

Now that I got that over with, I have never swapped one into an older truck but,
I would think it would be easier in that bodystyle, there is plenty of room in there.

I bet someone will chime in a give you the gory details on just how it is done. Good Luck.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Pipeliner_86 bought one this way. Here is the link to the truck he may be able to give you some ideas. I know there were more mods done to this truck just besides the IDI install.

Pearl_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'76 Highrider!!!!!!
35-37" tires, divorced transfer case, DANA 60's front and rear, :peelout:Thumbs Up
Would Kick ass, and would have way more torque than some POS 460 and hold up better than the good ol 390

Pearl_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyways, if you could easily fit a BB into it, a N/A 7.3 would be no trouble. The only issue would be turbocharging, and that probly won't be too big of one. As for transmissions, I don't know, If you go Fourspeed, or C6, it'll be no trouble. I don't know about a ZF or OD automatic, should be the same, but don't quote me on that.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score

Now that I got that over with, I have never swapped one into an older truck but,
I would think it would be easier in that bodystyle, there is plenty of room in there.

I bet someone will chime in a give you the gory details on just how it is done. Good Luck.

:rotflmao,..

it took some reading but I just got this post,....good one! ;Sweet

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Too Shay Salesman. Thanks for the good juju. The Engine came out of a Ford and is going back in a Ford. Done made my mind up about that little detail.

I'm planning on running a manual, but haven't decided on whether to run a 4 speed or a ZF-5. Right now it has an E4OD stuck on it, that won't be staying on there for too much longer. I'll probably break down and build a paralell twin turbo setup that I've been dreaming of ever since I saw a '99 7.3 on YouTube with that setup on it.

Last edited:

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
Rusty,

Now you are talking about an interesting project! Twins sounds very interesting,
cant wait to see it. I am not partial to anyone particular brand, my Ford has a BIG Caterpillar in it, FWIW. Good Luck.

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh hell yeah. I just think that you lose too much of that characteristic V8 Lope when you cram all your smoke through one turbo. I want to mount the turbos almost right overtop of the valve covers, so that i can eliminate as much turbo lag as possible.

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Binder V8's don't fit very well in the pre-1980 2wd frame. There are clearance issues with the oil cooler and the driver's side exhaust manifold to the steering box. It fits, but you may need to use a body lift (a night mare on an older 2wd Ford because of steering) to clear setting the engine up a couple inches from where it should be.

The 4x4's are different and have more room underneath and a different steering design that clears.

IDI's pistons end up in the oil pan with the pressure a small single turbo developes. Twins may not be a wise choice. Also, Diesel twins works as compounds, not as seperate banks on a V8. You will never get any sort of "V8 sound" through compound twins.

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Binder V8's don't fit very well in the pre-1980 2wd frame. There are clearance issues with the oil cooler and the driver's side exhaust manifold to the steering box. It fits, but you may need to use a body lift (a night mare on an older 2wd Ford because of steering) to clear setting the engine up a couple inches from where it should be.

The 4x4's are different and have more room underneath and a different steering design that clears.

IDI's pistons end up in the oil pan with the pressure a small single turbo developes. Twins may not be a wise choice. Also, Diesel twins works as compounds, not as seperate banks on a V8. You will never get any sort of "V8 sound" through compound twins.

I was planning on starting with a 4X4 anyway, preferably a High Boy if I can find one at a decent price. I'm not running twins, i'm gonna run paralells. Go on YouTube and search "Paralell turbo 7.3 Powerstroke" you'll see what i mean.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'76 Highrider!!!!!!
35-37" tires, divorced transfer case, DANA 60's front and rear, :peelout:Thumbs Up
Would Kick ass, and would have way more torque than some POS 460 and hold up better than the good ol 390

You know, this post sounded really good until I heard some bad comments about my personal favorite engine series - the Ford "FE" Y Block. The one in my '73 has more power than I have ever been able to harness. True, I should have a 300 gal gas tank for the messing around I do, but it starts anytime everytime I want it to, it always has. Unless of course the gas tank was empty.

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know, this post sounded really good until I heard some bad comments about my personal favorite engine series - the Ford "FE" Y Block. The one in my '73 has more power than I have ever been able to harness. True, I should have a 300 gal gas tank for the messing around I do, but it starts anytime everytime I want it to, it always has. Unless of course the gas tank was empty.

FE's are not "Y blocks" they are a 90 degree V like most V engines. The Y block was the tiny lifter 292/312 and other smaller displacement engine that preceded the FE. The FE was loosely based on the MEL motor, but shares nothing whatsoever with the Y block.

Besides that, I do agree. FE's are my favorite V8. No other engine series in history has been used very successfully in everything from passenger cars, light trucks, medium duty trucks, heavy duty trucks, Chris craft boats, stationary pumps, generators and made a mockery of the 426 Hemi in Nascar and NHRA with the SOHC.

I won't ramble on too much, but I've pulled 34,500 GCVW up a 6% grade for 5 miles at 65 MPH and 2600 RPM with a mild, built right truck 390. Put 140K on that engine as a DD and extreme heavy towing regularly and it never missed a beat besides some crap DSC pushrods failing. The guy I sold the engine to pulled the heads and pan to check and it was perfect inside, looked the same as the day I assembled it. It's still going running better heads and a lopey cam pushing a fairlane to high 12's at the local strip.

FE's don't get bad mileage used as intended. They're meant to be worked and they have a lot of iron in them. Cold they get crap mileage, but thoroughly up to 195 temp with 10/30 oil, a thermostatic clutch fan and an exhaust crossover they do excellent and last a very, very long time.

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok Guys this thread wasn't meant to discuss gas engines, it was meant to discuss putting a 7.3 IDI in a '73 to '79 truck.

Now that that's off my chest, what about using the front section of an '80 to '96 frame if there are clearance issues on the pre '79's?

Also, how much boost can those 7.3 IDI's handle on a regular basis before trouble arises?

Last edited:

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It isn't a bolt in, but you can modify a 2wd frame or make a manifold to make it fit just fine. Most just don't see the results worth the efforts with an IDI.

Probably get better IDI performance answers in the IDI section.