60-1 upgrade

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took another look at it today and have a clue about what might be going on. The engine is venting crank case gasses from somewhere on top. Just idling you can see the oil vapors comming up from the valley pan behind the injector pump. It seems to be funneling out from between the valley pan and the intake manifold behind the injector pump. What is strange is that nothing comes up around the turbo and all the connections are dry.

The ony thing I can think of is the O ring on the turbo pedistal that closes off the old CDR location is leaking, but I should still see something comming up around the turbo, right?

Actually this is really annoying. Right now I am getting oil smell in the cab whenever the engine is running and the truck is stopped. If I didn't know any better, I'd say the intake manifold was cracked at the bottom somewhere. Maybe the valley pan gasket has a leak at the bottom where its hidden? Would make a lot of sense if there was a leak somewhere there.....

Aww crap....I guess I have to start planning an intake manifold pressure test. I just hope the exhaust is sealed up enough for the air compressor to keep up with any leaks past the downpipe. I'm not doing anything yet since other matters are more pressing at the moment, but do you guys have any ideas?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pull the intake, tap the old cdr hole for a pipe plug, install with 518 gasket maker, reseal the gasket area with a little bit of hylomar sealer then torque the manifold back down.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pull the intake, tap the old cdr hole for a pipe plug, install with 518 gasket maker, reseal the gasket area with a little bit of hylomar sealer then torque the manifold back down.

Actually I was thinking of just replacing the O ring at the old CDR hole to try and rule that out. Is this a common problem with this setup?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dont know but if it is leaking I would put a permanent stop to it.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to get creative to somehow SEE what is leaking in there. Maybe I can swing the airbox up a little but leave it connected so I can see past it.
Whats strange is there seem to be a lot of flow behind the fumes.

Its not from the engine fan either since thats been removed since DecemberLOL. I'll have another look at it tomorrow.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I have the same turbo setup as you, with the h trim compressor. I can get 10 psi by 2200 and 15 psi by 2800. pipes to the turbo all wrapped exhaust housing covered, and down pipe wrapped. turbo pump cranked with bb injectors. the exhaust wrap was well worth the time. what made the biggest difference in my truck was playing with the timing, basically moved it back till the rattle only increased slightly while floored. this helped alot with smoke, dont get much past 5 psi and none past ten. you can really feel the power pick up past 10 psi. timing has been set this way a year mileage averages 15-16 with 4.11s

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is encouraging, Black dawg. Thanks

Didn't have a chance to look at it today. Dad said it drove well for him though (no drainback stall either:confused:).

As it turns out work is starting to come back in, so I have to wrap up an engine that is all apart and get that done before any other pet projects. Might even have the battery pack for the electric car project comming in soon so I have to clear the shop ASAP.

I'm far from giving up on this though. I'm almost positive that either the turbo pedistal is letting pressure out or the intake manifold is leaking. I know something is leaking because of where the fumes are venting from. I'll let you know when I find something.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So David you guys have a repair shop?

Not officially, but I do have the ability to perform nearly every kind of auto repair in our shop. I did a SMF conversion on a 1995 powerstroke for one of our customers once. That was the only time I did any work on an out of house vehicle and boy did that thing need workcookoo (brake lines, U joints, coolant and rear shackle was broken in addition to a failed DMF).

I've done engine and auto tranny rebuilds in our shop and there isn't much left that I can't do. We normally have a fleet of 4 vehicles running at any given time and I maintain all of them. 2 work trucks, and 2 DDs.

Normally I should be building aluminum railings for new houses, but houses aren't being built as fast as they used to.......

One of our regular customers just dropped a semi-rush (non railing) job on our lap yesterday that might be enough to give as a good start to 2009 so we're happy to oblige. But the project will require all of the shop space, so I need to get the diesel ranger running again ASAP.

The engine is almost back together now, I just need to get some camshaft caps for the OHC and might opt to replace the camshaft as well. Aside from breaking some of the rockershaft mounts, the rest of the internals were perfect. You would not believe how hard it is to turn that thing over with a breaker bar when all the valves are closed....lots of compression

I think it will run well when its back together. There were many little things that added up to try and kill it (mainly just lose bolts).

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey typ4...just out of curiosity, I was looking at a 60-1 compressor map earlier and it just doesn't look to me like it's that great of a "fit" for these engines, especially for low speed boost.

I was just wondering why you recommend it as such?

As an aside, a T04E 60 trim looks like it would be AWESOME for power in the 2000-3000 RPM range for anything from 10-15 psi (well, if I did my lb/min calculations correctly, which I don't really hold that much faith in)

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went purely on the recommendation of my parts supplier. He sold me one and it works really well for me. But with my setup I want the boost to be at about 10 lbs at 2k and it does just that, under load of course. I also have given the E60 trim some thought also but the 60-1 was a big jump to see the difference.
I have learned that banks non gated turbos have used 3 different wheels on systems.
H trim, V trim and one i am still trying to measure to ID.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Needless to say even if the 60-1 that I have might not be ideal, I am not planning any other upgrades with my turbo any time soon.

But as I mentioned earlier, there could be problems in the system somewhere that are under minding any potential boost gains. Its too coincidental that I'm still maxing out at ~9.5 psi of boost after the upgrade. I'll take it on a longer drive tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to have a closer look at it on the weekend.

This week got busy REAL FAST.