60-1 upgrade

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I'd love to see 10 lbs @ 1500-1800

That would be really nice when I have the camper on. It would take some major turbo redesign to achieve that and have reliability. Wastgate would be working a lot more and you would have the danger of turbine overspeed.
Twins would do the trick.;Sweet

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took it for a longer run today (200+ miles) and I can say with confidence that there is a difference. At full power at the top of 2nd gear, the boost was holding at 9 PSI then dropped to 7. At first I thought this might be turbo surge happening, but when climbing a 6% hill at about 85 MPH in 3rd, I was able to get close to 12 PSI (under 900 EGT). I suspect my upshift for the end of 2nd gear is a little late and I bumped the engine against the governor. My tach doesn't read above 2500 for some reason.

Low RPM boost has improved as well, just not as much as I had hoped. For most of the trip, I was able to hold 75-80 MPH in overdrive even on steeper hills that normally required a downsift fo prevent smoke lugging.

The crank case emissions from under the hood are still making me wonder if there is more improvement to come. In the sunlight you can actually see the fumes escaping from the front of the hood. I still don't know where its comming from though, and its driving me nuts.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some updates to report. I know where the oil vapor is comming from. Its the valley pan grommit seal at the base of the turbo pedistal, so no boost leak there. Fixing it involves completely tearing down the turbo system so I'm putting it off.

An interesting development is that I can now cruise in overdrive while towing my trailer. Its only a flat bed with walls, but still, overdrive was basically off limits before. Sustained hills of up to 4% are now fair game. Max indicated boost is not much different under these conditions (3 psi is when smoke starts), but I suspect that since this is a larger compressor, it is moving more air at that pressure thus resulting in a slight improvement in torque output at lower RPM.

After completing this recent 200 mile trip while towing, I was able to to calculate 16.2 MPG at speeds between 55 MPH and 70. EGTs held steady at 600 for speeds of 70 MPH except on the steepest hills where gearing down and ramping up the boost was required. At 55 MPH in 3rd gear, EGTs sometimes fell below 350.

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update David. That is real impressive given the 3.08's you run.

I've got to get my rebuild/upgrade going, better weather so I'll run out of excuses pretty soon. At least it has stopped the noise it was making .......who knows why.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
now if we could find an O trim turbine and housing it would really boost down low. I have been studying more.:D

I am glad for the update and you are correct, it is moving more at low speed with the bigger housing.;Sweet

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
now if we could find an O trim turbine and housing it would really boost down low. I have been studying more.:D

I am glad for the update and you are correct, it is moving more at low speed with the bigger housing.;Sweet

Never heard of O trim before, but it seems like my setup won't produce 10 PSI at 2000 RPM no matter what compressor is on it.

I am wondering what header wrap would do for it though.

EDIT: Ok, I went and bought some header wrap. Going to cover the cross over pipe, collector pipe, and exhaust side of the turbo if there is enough.

Last edited:

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, gotcha.

I finished installing the header wrap and am about half way through putting it all back together. Everything is done on top and hopefully the crank case vapor leak at the valley pan seal is cured.

Just have to stuff all the pipes back in from underneath (joy).

Found something interesting though........exhaust leak at the connection from the collector pipe to the passenger side manifold. Soot was dripping down on the down pipe from that area for while but I wasn't sure what it was from until today.

The compression seal was missing from there and there were only a few high spots of pitting around the connection that made contact. Basically all of the contact area was covered in soot indicating a leak that was nearly all the way around that connection. Not sure the leak there was enough to cause a significant drop in boost pressure, but I'll make some new seals for all the connections.

Hope to be done tomorrow morning. We'll see what happens come time for a test drive.

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would think that could make a BIG difference. A small leak matters and yours sounds
significant.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We shall see. It seems to jump out of the hole a little quicker with the header wrap and EGTs are slightly up across the board. Mission accomplished, I guess. I drove it and it did ok, but when i got home I found the throttle cable was binding at the top of the travel because I installed the bracket wrong Rrrrrrrr!! so much for that last test (made it to 11 PSI).

I fixed that and bent the pedal lever to take up ALL the slack that was there before. The pedal feels nice and tight now. It may also take a little time to get everything sealed up perfectly again.

On a happier note, I was able to kill of that crank case vapor leak at the valley pan grommit. I jambed an O ring on top of the grommit so that there is real pressure pushing down on the seal. No more oil smell or exhaust smell at stop lights.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I picked up another pony or so. Since th EGTs stay higher for a little longer after a hard run, the turbo seems to be responding a little better. Peak boost numbers have not changed, but throttle responce sure has......:eek:

I managed to break traction on an uphill turn at 30 MPH at less than half power (about 3 psi!!!). That doesn't happen very often even if it was wet pavement.

Acceleration from 55 MPH is a little interesting. Press the pedal down about half way and wait.... The boost jumps to 4 psi but as I pass 60 however it climbs to 7 psi without any more power added while pushing you back further in the seat. It almost feels like the a mild after burner kicking in.

And for the final test, I floored it up a 10% grade to see what it could do. Normally 70 MPH is the best it could do. However this time in the approach to the steepest portion of the hill, I had to back off because a turn was comming up. After the turn I was on the 10% hill and went all out. for a few seconds in held steady at 70, but then gradually started to drift up closer to 75 MPH.

Peak boost that I observed today was 11PSI and EGTs maxed out around 1050, but it just moves a lot harder under those same conditions and smoke seems to be a little lower. If I really get on it, the turbo just screams. Performance in overdrive seems to be decent too.

Yeah guys, theres a difference. I think header wrap is a worthy investment for $50CAD;Sweet

Although the collector pipe leak probably didn't help much before either, haha.