60-1 upgrade

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's really too bad that you can't downsize the hot side of that turbo easily, that would make a huge change in the turbo's response and performance. The 60-1 can definitley move the air, you just need to get it spinning fast enough.
Definitely make sure you have no leaks, and then give it some more fuel and see what happens.
Are you running a 6.9 or 7.3 spec pump? A 7.3 pump fuels more down low, and will help to get the turbo lit. Not quite a moose pump, but, every little bit will help.

Black dawg

Reaction score
you can turn the pump all the way, also are you running the stock ducting to the air box?

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I had a thought! That's a new 1 lol. But anyway could your low boost possible be because of your gearing? Because doesn't low gearing create more load on the engine and thus more boost? I may be talkin outa my butt, but its a thought. And btw my thought is if you get close to 20 pounds of boost it would be worth intercooling. Just my $.02.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be glad just to be able to break past 10 PSI right now lol.

The intake ducting is stock up to where the flex ducting ends. After that, it opens up to a ram air intake next to the rad. Maybe an intercooler will happen some day, but I have to draw the line somewhere. Too many projects right now.

I don't want to turn up the fuel anymore until I hear what the safe limit is. I've heard it will kill the pump if you run it too close to the stopper, but how close can you go? My injector pump is probably on borrowed time, but I would rather not have it fail on me right now.

I am not sure what model of pump it has right now, but I'll assume its a correct 6.9 model pump.

The boost line is 1/8". I spliced it to make it long enough and there could even be kinks in it for all I know. I don't really trust it all that much and have been meaning to connect the boost line into the air compressor in the shop to see if the gauge in the truck agrees with the one on the compressor.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My pump has been bottomed out for over a year.

sootman73

Reaction score
my pump has been bottomed out for a year now too! no sign of problems what so ever. and i hit 13 pounds of boost when ever i want. factory turbo without wastegate... i wonder why it is that you are having so much trouble. its gotta be leaks or heat... i have seen 1200 but im also pushing 95-100 mph at that point. no smoke on the top end unless its at night with headlights right behind me and then its only a haze.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I'll do is run it as is for a little while and see if any boost leaks show themselves. Intake leaks should be visible from oil seeping out from connections and exhaust leaks should be visible with soot.

I also think I have a fuel drainback problem after all the fussing around on top of the engine:mad:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might try it without the air cleaner, I wouldnt think it would restrict but???
I wonder if the exhaust housing on that setup is a bottleneck for improvement??
Mine made such a large difference that I cant imagine why you dont have more improvement

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both of you guys have gated turbos, which means a smaller exhaust housing, which is why they spool up quicker, and in this case make more peak boost. With my non gated Banks, with an empty truck I really didn't see any boost until about 1800 or so, I might have been lucky enough to make 6 or so by 2000, 2500 would get me close to 10, and I'd peak at 14-15 just before it defueled at around 3500 or so, the last few RPM past that it would drop back to about 10.

Towing, unless you kept it at 2500 and above it was not fun, no real power, and because the compressor housing was too small you got to watch the boost needle jump all over the place as it stalled trying to push more air than it could safely flow.
I thought about downsizing the exhaust housing on it, but, with the compressor being too small, it just would have made things worse, so I just lived with it.
I'm sure that large, not so easily replaceable exhaust housing is part of David85's problem

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was the whole reason to go with the bigger compressor wheel, to hopefully make lower rpm boost. I hate for David to be a guinea pig for this but the results will be accurate.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think right now the smoke thresh hold is around 7 PSI right now, where it was 5 before. Above that there is more smoke, but still not as bad as with the old compressor.

Yeah, the whole point of going with a bigger compressor was to avoid messing with the exhaust side. I guess an 085 turbo kit would be a better candidate for an upgrade like this because both intake and exhaust sides are both easily replaced.

Now having said all that, I do remember when I first installed the turbo that I was able to get close to 14 PSI of boost while pouring out black smoke. I don't remember if I was against the bottom of the fuel screw back then though.

I'm not giving up just yet.