6.5 heads on a 6.2?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So anyway as the nightmare unfolds....
I have a one cracked head on my 6.2...well that was a suprise that both weren't cracked. But I do have a 6.5 that vomited its bottom end :D And that means I can play the craps table once again on yet another set of heads. :rolleyes: So...the 6.5 heads are removed and are shipped off to my local cylinder head shop so I can get another "deer in the headlights" look once again. I compared the head bolts between the two...they match in length. Definitely will be using the 6.2 head gaskets. Anybody dropped a set of 6.5 heads on a 6.2? Mind you, the 6.5 turbo setup will be residing on the motor too. With a TEO6H Banks off a IDI to make matters more complicated :D This is gonna be one very interesting ride when I finally get through with it cookoo cookoo

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not me...but when you get it done, let us/me know how it works out and what kinda power it makes...sounds like a winner to me.

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
My current 6.2 has 6.5 heads on it with no problems. Like you mentioned, use the 6.2 gaskets or it might leak. How does the 6.2 head pressure test? I've seen many cracked heads, and most of those cracks were superficial...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dieseldummy said:
My current 6.2 has 6.5 heads on it with no problems. Like you mentioned, use the 6.2 gaskets or it might leak. How does the 6.2 head pressure test? I've seen many cracked heads, and most of those cracks were superficial...
thanks for the confirmation ;Sweet
its an ugly crack on the 6.2...the one that goes between the valve seats. :puke:

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
I've had those big cracks between the valves too with no problem. Another thing you could do if the 6.5 heads don't work out is install a valve guide in the port between the valves. There is a small freeze plug on the side of the head that covers a passage that goes down between the valves. I don't remember what size the guide is, but it's been proven to be a good solution.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dieseldummy said:
I've had those big cracks between the valves too with no problem. Another thing you could do if the 6.5 heads don't work out is install a valve guide in the port between the valves. There is a small freeze plug on the side of the head that covers a passage that goes down between the valves. I don't remember what size the guide is, but it's been proven to be a good solution.
The head shop said something about that today when I dropped off the 6.5 heads. the 6.5 heads looked to be in good shape, so we'll see what they have to say tomorrow. :D

chevydiesel

Reaction score
Just like dummy says..

6.5 heads will work fine on a 6.2.

As for gaskets. use the gaskets for the heads you are using, that's the general rule.

For 6.5 heads, you'll want the better 6.5 gaskets (re-inforced on the back and front holes where the water passage is).

For 6.2 heads, you'll want the 6.2 gaskets, but you can use 6.5 gaskets on LATE model 6.2 heads w/o an odd cooling port on them (all my heads have had the bean shaped hole, so I've used 6.2 gasksets).

The coolant liners are a good idea, not sure on the part number of those though, they are available as a kit, but this is usually something that the machine shop will invest in, kinda pricey for just one set of heads IMHO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online