5th gear gone

jmitchell

Reaction score
i dont plan to go that far but i need a new turbo. what is the most cost efective way to upgrade. can i use one from a newer truck or will it even be any better?

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats what he's telling me.
he has an edge drag box, smarty downloader and 150hp injectors right now and it will break tires loose at 50mph in 5th gear. but he says its running hot. so he wants to get the b1, i guess with the 4" downpipe he has but hasnt installed yet, and 5" straight the rest of the way out. arp head studs and head o-ringed then too. its a bad ****...its a 24v..not a 12ver

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
if the clutch is worn, it doesnt release correctly...and will cause grinding problems.
everything doesnt have to break...1 piece of the entire component needs to fail. i'll guess he'll find out when he pulls the motor anyway.

A worn disc has nothing to do with release. Just engagement - late.
We can't seem to agree on anything!!
James

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I guess I will have to agree with holtzer1 on this one. I have seen a worn disk definitely affect release. Often times, worn clutch disks get "sticky" if you will. My truck is doing it right now as well. Everything is new, throwout is greased etc. etc. etc. but where the firewall was cracked and the pedal bracket shot, with no one paying attention to it for who knows how long, it was slipped rather than cleanly released for so long, it now doesn't like to let go as it should. In mine, it is very miner and is not noticeable until hot. I have all the proper travel etc. new clutch fork, new clutch ball, firewall kit, etc. etc.

We turned probably 4 - 5 flywheels a day at the machine shop I worked at. Many times, those complaining of a "sticky" clutch had worn them down to the cords in the clutch disk, or, they had a nice "smear" spot on the flywheel/pressure plate. I realize the smear spot is not what you are considering a clutch wear issue (just to clarify that in advance) but some clutch disks get worn so bad, that you can even feel the difference with it in your hands, and they often will not break clean when dis-engaged.

That being said, you can say it can't happen, but I will disagree, been there done that.

gumper

Reaction score
I was having some tranny trouble, and it just felt worn out. I replaced my stock clutch with a South Bend because it was slipping. That changed everything. It doesn't grind a little when going into third anymore, and smoothed out the shift to fourth. Could be because my pilot bearing was worn down to the thickness of tinfoil. Like a few guys said, look into replacing the clutch first. Then do yourself a favor and get a good one.

jmitchell

Reaction score
ill do that the tranny is out of the truck now but the bellhousing is still on the engine, but the enggine will be out today or tomarow

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all i'm gonna say on this anymore is...i replace about 10 clutches a month....and i've seen some strange stuff happen with a bad disc.

jmitchell, do yourself a big favor and get the south bend clutch....youll need it if you want to anymore than a simple 60hp plug in

jmitchell

Reaction score
any way to get a good deal on a southbend? i was looking at a hays 550lt lb set up but is it enough for a 3k spring kit 10 plate 4 in exhaust and a 35-40 hybrid turbo? i dont know how much power that will add?

rubberfish

Reaction score
A con OFE will hold all that, and a ton more.
I'm not sure what the other guys customer service
is like, but I can vouch for Southbend first hand.;Sweet