5th gear gone

jmitchell

Reaction score
I know about the nut on the output shaft but will the other gears grind alittle bit or is it shot?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
When mine has backed off both times it does did not affect the other gears - mine is currently welded in place - if it comes off next time it will mean a lot more than an hours worth of labor to fix. I have some problems with grinding going into 3rd gear but it's not from the 5th gear mine comes from my syncro's are worn (227k miles) so it's to be expected - just age related and jamming it into gear while speed shifting :angel:

jmitchell

Reaction score
yea my truck has 272,000 but i was hoping it was just the nut. do you fkow where to get a good rebuild kit and all just do it myself? thanks for the reply

Joe

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you could chalk up the other gears grinding to a worn out clutch...
very rarely do these trans need "rebuilt" per say. i'd take a weekend, pull the trans back and check the clutch condition before deciding to tear into a transmission that might not need any internal work done.

Whit

Reaction score
Parts can be had from Dan the gear man at Quad 4x4......I was gonna give you a link but the site is down right now ...................Dan is a great guy and will steer ya right

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
worn out clutch? I'm lost on that one because here is my thinking - please correct me if I'm wrong.

A clutch that is worn out will slip, it will not cause the gears to grind, because when the clutch is in the rest postion (foot off pedal) it is engaged then when you pressing on the clutch it will pull away from the flywheel which decouples the power being transfered to the transmission.

Now if the clutch fork is worn I could see it not pulling the clutch far enough away from the flywheel which I'm sure you would feel right away because the truck would creep anytime you had it in a gear and were holding down on the clutch.

I'm not an auto mechanic so this is just my shoot from the hip thinking...

am I correct in my thinking?

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
worn out clutch? I'm lost on that one because here is my thinking - please correct me if I'm wrong.

A clutch that is worn out will slip, it will not cause the gears to grind, because when the clutch is in the rest postion (foot off pedal) it is engaged then when you pressing on the clutch it will pull away from the flywheel which decouples the power being transfered to the transmission.

Now if the clutch fork is worn I could see it not pulling the clutch far enough away from the flywheel which I'm sure you would feel right away because the truck would creep anytime you had it in a gear and were holding down on the clutch.

I'm not an auto mechanic so this is just my shoot from the hip thinking...

am I correct in my thinking?

worn clutch....causes alot of crazy problems.
usually slipping under load
or, not being able to get the truck into gear when sitting at a stop. if youve ever had a clutch come apart...you cant get the truck into gear, nor out of gear.unless you shut the truck off. worn clutches can work both ways, i've had trucks in the shop that...as soon as you turned the key with the clutch pedal pushed...it starts rolling as you crank it over. then i've had others where no matter what you do...it wont move an inch and shifts through all gears. alot depends on whats worn out. the clutch disc...or the pressure plate. a worn pressure plate causes alot more of the problems with not being able to get out of gear.
however, a worn clutch will not release properly and could cause grinding issues, between gears while driving, and especially when trying to get into reverse.

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
A worn clutch disc that is just that, worn, will not cause grinding. If something else has problems, you can have grinding, but a thin clutch disc will do nothing but eventually slip and cause a tall pedal. Only wear components that cause problems are TOBs if the input shaft drys up or the bearing itself locks up, the clutch fork, or hydraulic components (if you can call them wear). Everything else has to break to cause problems and is of no relation to mileage.
James

jmitchell

Reaction score
well i have some bad oil leaks so i am in the middile of pulling the engine any way so i gess ill take a good look at the tranny as well. i also plan to upgrade the cluch to a 550ft lb heavy duty setup to suport a gov spring and fuel plate upgrade.
also i wamted to ask if i can upgrade my turbo to a newer say 99and up turbo
its my understanding thay build more boost? is this true and if so is it worth doing?
thanks

Joe

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A worn clutch disc that is just that, worn, will not cause grinding. If something else has problems, you can have grinding, but a thin clutch disc will do nothing but eventually slip and cause a tall pedal. Only wear components that cause problems are TOBs if the input shaft drys up or the bearing itself locks up, the clutch fork, or hydraulic components (if you can call them wear). Everything else has to break to cause problems and is of no relation to mileage.
James

if the clutch is worn, it doesnt release correctly...and will cause grinding problems.
everything doesnt have to break...1 piece of the entire component needs to fail. i'll guess he'll find out when he pulls the motor anyway.

jmitchell

Reaction score
well i sure hope its just the cluch. what do you guys think i should do about a turbo? the impellers are chiped bad like some thing went threw it can i go with one from a newer 24v?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I believe the newer ones have a smaller housing so they will spool quicker but that will cause you problems on the high end because they you can't pass enough volume at higher rpms causing a restriction. I have been looking at upgrading my turbo, I have been looking at the "B-1-2-tow" that PDR sells.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a buddy of mine is going with the b1 turbo...that way he's prepared for twins in the future

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828