4x4 double cardan joint??

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
Originally posted by Diezel_Cowboy
Here is a picture of what the shaft looks like and the double cardan joint on the right hand side of the picture.

My front driveline is like yours minus the the double u-joint end. Mine ends in a single u-joint at each end. I wonder why they are different?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Agnem
Wonder why your truck doesn't have a simple shaft setup like my 83. :dunno

mel-
sorry to get back to you so late in the thread. the single joints are great for stocck ride height trucks. But anytime you run a lift of any sort, the double jointed type allows you to run more extreme driveline angles commonly associated with the lift springs. Problem is, every u joint inserted, is a net power loss item since the power haas to go through yet anotheer item.

John Deere

Reaction score
Originally posted by troutwest66
My front driveline is like yours minus the the double u-joint end. Mine ends in a single u-joint at each end. I wonder why they are different?

In my experience, the F350 had the double ujoint, and the F250's have the singles.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Calvin, I understand the reason for it, but is this a STOCK driveshaft? That's the part I don't get. Heck, I have a 4" lift and stock driveshaft and have been OK all this time.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mel-
more than likely its a factory solution to a warranty issue at one point. if you haven't ever had a problem with your ujoints getting wiped out due to excessive driveline angle, then you don't have a problem.:D if you do, this is the solution, axle housings can be shimmed in relation to the spring to adjust for the pinion angle but for the front, you will be messing with the steering linkage as a reult. ultimately, the double jointed shaft is the lesser of the sum of evils enccountered.

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Agnem
Calvin, I understand the reason for it, but is this a STOCK driveshaft? That's the part I don't get. Heck, I have a 4" lift and stock driveshaft and have been OK all this time.

Well i never put a different drive shaft on and the truck is stock height so the shaft must be a STOCK shaft.

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
An F-350 in reg. cab form sits a bit higher than the F250s so I bet, as Towcat, was saying the heighth difference is why the double joint.

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
Well to give you the full UPDATE, I decided to order the whole shaft assembly from Autozone. It cost $162 for the shaft plus a $55 dollar core charge which i got back after I took them the old shaft. The shaft is rebuilt but has a 3 month warranty on it, and every joint is equipped with a grease zerk. This was definitely the right/easiest thing to do since it was actually the center ball/bearing that was worn out and not the universal joints.:thanks: smokin stroker

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online