4x4 double cardan joint??

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
I have a vibration while in 4x4. It happens with the hubs locked in and happens worse when 4x4 is engaged.
I inspected the situation and found that what they call a "double cardan joint" (the double U joint that is in between the front axle and the transfer case) is loose. It doesnt appear to be worn but i can move it in a circular motion.
My question is has anyone ever torn into or replace one of these joints? Can I just replace the two U-joints or do i need the whole front shaft? There is an H-shaped coupler that joins the two u-joints together, but it looks OK. Any experience or advise on this subject would be helpful, thanks!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What wheelbase is this truck? I was not aware that any had a double cardigan, but then I've not seen many of the 92 and up models in 4X4. Check with your Ford dealer. He'll have the right part(s).

Diezel_Cowboy

Reaction score
Originally posted by Agnem
What wheelbase is this truck? I was not aware that any had a double cardigan, but then I've not seen many of the 92 and up models in 4X4. Check with your Ford dealer. He'll have the right part(s).

I believe the wheel base is 133, it is a standard cab long bed F-350 with single rear wheels.

I did check with the ford dealer! My Haynes manual tells me as much as their parts guy did!

I'm prolly just gonna have to tear into it and see what the hell............but i'd still like to hear more advise if there is any?
By the way thanks for the response mel!

Diezel_Cowboy

Reaction score
Originally posted by smokin_stroker00
I should have said you NEED the whole shaft
But :***: you never listen anyways

I just can't believe that a wear point like that joint would require replacing the entire shaft assembly. It has to come appart for a reason.
By the way, I listen sometimes!;p

smokin_stroker00

Reaction score
Originally posted by Diezel_Cowboy
I just can't believe that a wear point like that joint would require replacing the entire shaft assembly. It has to come appart for a reason.
By the way, I listen sometimes!;p

On the other hand Autozone and Napa sell the complete shaft for a reason;)

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
If you are able to move it in a circular-radially- motion.............
wouldn't that be a spline issue?
Or a hub cracked?

Just thinnin out loud;)

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forgot. I'm the only person with an excellent Ford dealer. :sorry: If you want, I'll get them to tell me what you need if you can wait until Monday. Wonder why your truck doesn't have a simple shaft setup like my 83. :dunno

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Mel my 93 also has the double joint and I just went thru this on my 96 you can get all the parts ya need at napa between the 2 u-joints is a ball bearing basicaly with needle bearings in it this is greasable with a needle greaser if you take the outer u-joint out stuppid huh ok this ball bearing with needle bearings inside it is also calle a u-joint it is pressed in the yoke that bolts to the front axle you can get this yoke at napa for around $60 or you can get a rebuild kit that comes with the ball and seal for $30 if I knew then what I know now I would have got the whole thing if you need anything else or some ideas how to get it apart if you do rebiuld it give me a holler

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Any parts store worth it's salt should have the stuff to rebuild one.

I've never rebuilt one, personally, but buddies have, and tell me it can be done.

Oh, yeah. They did say it would be a good idea to have a 12-pack handy, cuz you're gonna need it, if/when you get it back together.

Last edited:

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
Okay, DC, it's 8:30 PM here in northern Idaho and I went out to look under my truck to compare front drivelines. (I won't tell him we're having chinook weather and it's been above 40* for the low:D ) My front driveline is configured like this: at the front a u-joint that bolts/ clamps to the yoke on the front diff., then it goes all the way back to a slip joint, another u-joint and then that one bolts/ clamps to the front yoke off the TC. Is that how yours goes?If so, I would just take the driveline out and take it to a good driveline shop. I had mine rebuilt with new slip joint and two new u-joints and balanced for right at $100. That way it's all done, ready to put back in and it's balanced and all. now if you have that special double u-joint/ almost a CV joint then those u-joints should still be replaceable but for the cost, time and tools we have an excellent driveline guy here locally and it might be only a few bucks more to take the drivelines to him.

Last edited:

Diezel_Cowboy

Reaction score
Thanks for all of your suggestions, this weekend i went to autozone and had them order me the whole assembly but it wont be here till next weekend so I will see if it is the right one and if so i should be all set.
Here is a picture of what the shaft looks like and the double cardan joint on the right hand side of the picture.

Attachments

• 1350_longshaft.jpg
    1350_longshaft.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 55
Last edited: