3208 CAT

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about buyiny a 1981 truck with a non turbo 3208. It needs either to start, smokes a gray-blue haze while running, and has a slight chug sound while running on the passenger side of the engine but not a dead miss. It seems to have oil on the passenger manifold like its coming out the exhaust ports. It runs pretty good but stumbles a bit when you let off the throttle. I know nothing about these other than thery are a good reliable engine and there are still lots of parts for them.
I'm leaning toward injectors and an injection pump and maybe valve seals for it. It dosent have much blow-by.
Now the story is the guy got rid of it because the engine was about to let go, I've ran it today for awhile and dont think its as bad off as that guy thought.
Any advice on it? I have no problem pulling the heads off if it needs valves or head gaskets, I just want to know what I'm getting into before I buy it.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The valve guides are worn, the service truck I drove ran exactly like that and the head rebuild made it rock and roll., real easy to turn up the fuel.

Oh the injection pumps will run a loooooong time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online