2WD TO 4WD, DANA 60 UNDER MY F250

rmholy

'81 F350 BobTail
Reaction score
me to, i to have a short wheel base toy. thats speeders bronco (O.J.) in the backround

to help keep the thread on coarse
i think you are going to have tight time with your rear drive shaft. i know from dealing with jeeps that you can have some very short ones custom made. you will probubly have to go with a CV style and weld your spring purches so that your axle yoke faces your transfer case output.

i was seriously considering ( and still am somewhat) putting a ford transfercase behind my ford transmission in my jeep. trouble is the factory adapters themselves are around 8" long plus the length of the tranfercase itself. i am in a simalar boat, almost no rear drive shaft at that point.

i dont think there is enough material to recut splines in a shortened output shaft either. if you could that would be an option and just make your own adapter with a couple of rings and some pipe while gaining around 6".

There are 2 different adapters for the NP205 attachment, a short 5 3/4" and a longer 8 15/16" adapter. The shorter adapters are very hard to locate. Only the married NP's could even be consider for use in such a short drivetrain. Other than going to a standard tranny, I have concluded that the 4WD C6 w/married NP205 utilizing the short adaptor, will sufficently fit to proceed. And by using a slip (CV) type driveshaft (expensive) but worth it, I should still have a foot of driveshaft, which is just under the recommended minimum lenght of 14" thought of as a guideline base, but under normal driveshaft type. And, when I swapped to the V-block diesel, considering the length difference in the 4.9L that I currently have, I will be able to readjust foward to add length, using modified motor mounts, etc ... wether the need for relocated crossmembers, I will get the 17" advised driveshaft length. All said, but yet done, by me anyway. An extensive amount of work, and shortened accessories, will have to be used. I will be going for it, don't forget to drop by, once in a whille, to check out the progress.

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this the end to end, such as you would have a 2x4 flat on up each surface, then measure a true distance between them, or following the bellhousing? I have the 5 3/4" NP205 adapter. So the total length of a 4WD C6 w/NP205 would be ... (C6) 25 1/2 + (NP205 w/adapter) 18 3/4 =
Correct me if I'm wrong !

Ok Yes this is an eye balled measurement as you suggest...Flat to flat though I neglected to inform you that was with the actual TCase adapter attached to the trans as well. I did not measure the TCase adapter separately.

All the measurements thus far are approximate as I didn't use any straight edges
to ensure absolute perfection. Having measured quite a few like this I am confident I am very close to the mark

So add the 13" to that and you have 38 1/2" though I am not certain if it's a long or short adapter, I'll check again tomorrow at work and get back to you.

Theres quite a few kicking around. I'll check the C6 that I just pulled off a 7.3 a couple weeks ago, as I asked where it got to thinking it was sold and I didn't get a chance to measure it today, I'll work on checking it and a few others tomorrow.

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
Yup, they are purdy cool. Not sure on the governor as Security Forces is purdy strict on flightline speedlimits so I keep it at 10 to be five under the limit of 15.

That one is strange starting out as a SRW. Most are duallys with a strange solid steel rim to retain use of the rear dually axle. Stock dually rims up front. Today the one I pulled a jack trailer with was a '02 with a 7.3L and it was purdy cool. Interesting today i saw a 24v Cummins dodge tugger. Prolly won't get to run that though.

Adrianspeeder

rmholy

'81 F350 BobTail
Reaction score
Ok Yes this is an eye balled measurement as you suggest...Flat to flat though I neglected to inform you that was with the actual TCase adapter attached to the trans as well. I did not measure the TCase adapter separately.

All the measurements thus far are approximate as I didn't use any straight edges
to ensure absolute perfection. Having measured quite a few like this I am confident I am very close to the mark

So add the 13" to that and you have 38 1/2" though I am not certain if it's a long or short adapter, I'll check again tomorrow at work and get back to you.

Theres quite a few kicking around. I'll check the C6 that I just pulled off a 7.3 a couple weeks ago, as I asked where it got to thinking it was sold and I didn't get a chance to measure it today, I'll work on checking it and a few others tomorrow.

Ah ! One very important oversite ....... for now, I need the small block 4WD C6, if there is a length difference between a large block cc, I don't know !

rmholy

'81 F350 BobTail
Reaction score
Yup, they are purdy cool. Not sure on the governor as Security Forces is purdy strict on flightline speedlimits so I keep it at 10 to be five under the limit of 15.

That one is strange starting out as a SRW. Most are duallys with a strange solid steel rim to retain use of the rear dually axle. Stock dually rims up front. Today the one I pulled a jack trailer with was a '02 with a 7.3L and it was purdy cool. Interesting today i saw a 24v Cummins dodge tugger. Prolly won't get to run that though.

Adrianspeeder

Sounds like you have a few around there. Just image doin' donuts around the infield at 60 or 70 mph, out there !

rmholy

'81 F350 BobTail
Reaction score

Would you have a small block 4WD C6 with a married NP205 ya'll would care to sell, that is good shape?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would you have a small block 4WD C6 with a married NP205 ya'll would care to sell, that is good shape?

Well now I personally may have a trans and transfer case for ya. What small block does it have to fit? My trans fits 300 6cyl, 289/302/ and 351W and a True 351 Cleveland, the 351/400M Cleveland series uses a 429/460 big block trans pattern

What are you thinking is a fair price?

And to ball park it you'll have to calculate shipping from Oroville WA ZIP 98844 which is 15-20 minute drive from me in Osoyoos Canada.

PM me with the above, we''ll go from there.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes it's the same size....honestly though I highly suspect that shipping would kill the deal. I also believe you can find one closer for cheap.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70