2WD TO 4WD, DANA 60 UNDER MY F250

rmholy

'81 F350 BobTail
Reaction score
Safety

I say if you want more weight in the front add A 6.9 or 7.3!!!

:hail
The 1st Principle behind Vehicle Safety
in any modification, the added weight will need to be balanced out over the entire truck. The suspension & braking system play a very important part in the performance & the ability of a vehicle to operate correctly.
I'm sure it sounds easy to just add more engine weight, but I need the Dana 60's strength, not just for that but the centering of the pull, will also aid in the balance. Leaf suspension & the correct braking system for the application, have been my major concern, for a larger engine ...... Which could be Diesel, perhaps, someday.
:hail

rmholy

'81 F350 BobTail
Reaction score
A ZF 5spd would help, they are pretty short in case length.....In your case it might be more work as you don't have a diesel crossmember now....Pretty much all of my stuff bolted in place (after I drilled the millions of friggin holes...:rolleyes: ).....The track bar is there now....It just wasn't on in that pic. I haven't had the truck lined up yet but it drives fine....I hope to have it out for a test drive late next week if all goes well....I can't wait to "take a gear" with the 5spd and crawl in low range like a tractor.:Thumbs Up....I'm starting to look at a pair of 4" stacks as my next "improvement"....I have $2500 into the 2wd to 4wd D-60 swap , NP205 install and 5spd swap so far...All paid for by selling parts from junked Ford trucks.:rock:

Would you get me a flat measurement on your ZF/NP205 length, before ya'll slide it together, if it is married.... I forget, please?​

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would you get me a flat measurement on your ZF/NP205 length, before ya'll slide it together, if it is married.... I forget, please?​

Well I can give you some individual 4x parts measurements if you like;

As I work at a wrecker Mon - Thurs I'll take a few for ya.

Personally I have;

Married NP205 it is 13" from trans adapter mounting surface to the farthest part of the rear yoke
T19 is close to 25 1/4" from the front of the bell housing to the Tcase adapters mounting surface where the TCase mates
BW 1345 transfer case 17" from the Tcase mounting surface to the farthest end of the output yoke

At work I have a ZF5 sp I can access along with a C6 too......

Will those suffice because then you can add and piece together parts for you own measurements.

Last edited:

rmholy

'81 F350 BobTail
Reaction score
Well I can give you some individual 4x parts measurements if you like;

As I work at a wrecker Mon - Thurs I'll take a few for ya.

Personally I have;

Married NP205 it is 13" from trans adapter mounting surface to the farthest part of the rear yoke
T19 is close to 25 1/4" from the front of the bell housing to the Tcase adapters mounting surface where the TCase mates
BW 1345 transfer case 17" from the Tcase mounting surface to the farthest end of the output yoke

At work I have a ZF5 sp I can access along with a C6 too......

Will those suffice because then you can add and piece together parts for you own measurements.

The married NP205 is close enough. I need a 4WD C6 flat measurement. That would help me a lot ...... THANK YOU

rmholy

'81 F350 BobTail
Reaction score
What a Ride

They are still making them ........ AWESOME YEA !
Aren't they the most awesome thing to drive, you've ever been in.....
I think they are a blast, especially on the Houston Freeways at rush hour.
They can get in some tight places quick huh. What's the craziest thing ya'll have done with this one????????
I've been thinking of droping a New Cab on my chassis, but I guess it might be just as easy to
watch for the sale of a New TUG. What engine? Is the Governor still ACTIVE?
Can you picture yourself in Houston, getting 100 mph in it ?

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The married NP205 is close enough. I need a 4WD C6 flat measurement. That would help me a lot ...... THANK YOU

How about 25 1/2" for C6 that I checked today, I'll try to find another and see if it has a different Trans to TC adapter that may be shorter / longer...not sure.

rmholy

'81 F350 BobTail
Reaction score
How about 25 1/2" for C6 that I checked today, I'll try to find another and see if it has a different Trans to TC adapter that may be shorter / longer...not sure.

Is this the end to end, such as you would have a 2x4 flat on up each surface, then measure a true distance between them, or following the bellhousing? I have the 5 3/4" NP205 adapter. So the total length of a 4WD C6 w/NP205 would be ... (C6) 25 1/2 + (NP205 w/adapter) 18 3/4 =
Correct me if I'm wrong !

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
We were just poking innocent fun.

me to, i to have a short wheel base toy. thats speeders bronco (O.J.) in the backround

to help keep the thread on coarse
i think you are going to have tight time with your rear drive shaft. i know from dealing with jeeps that you can have some very short ones custom made. you will probubly have to go with a CV style and weld your spring purches so that your axle yoke faces your transfer case output.

i was seriously considering ( and still am somewhat) putting a ford transfercase behind my ford transmission in my jeep. trouble is the factory adapters themselves are around 8" long plus the length of the tranfercase itself. i am in a simalar boat, almost no rear drive shaft at that point.

i dont think there is enough material to recut splines in a shortened output shaft either. if you could that would be an option and just make your own adapter with a couple of rings and some pipe while gaining around 6".

Attachments

• bike burnout.jpg
    bike burnout.jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 13

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70