2WD TO 4WD, DANA 60 UNDER MY F250

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
That's what I'm hoping for....Good in the snow and good in the woods. I have a line on two more 205's locally, I'd atleast like to buy one but I'd really like to have both of them. One guy wants $100 and the other is posibbly looking to trade for some of my truck parts....Bonus!!....LOL

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
while your at it why dont you do a 203/205 doubler system, dont know how well this idea would work but if you got a 203 for a chevy and mounted it to your trans, really short driveshaft to your divorced 205 and then to the frt and rear axles, if only you could figure out a way to split the 203 frt yoke to run a pto or something, now that would be killer, well if it would work, what do you think?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh come on now Stuart...I have access to a NICE divorced 203 here....and if you managed to get a FORD married 205 then the doubler would be simple enough to install...if you did it right...you would only shorten two drive shafts...Woot! just think of the pullin power with load of wood and deep snow all around!

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I didn't do anything to the engine crossmember. I took a couple of bolts out the engine mounts that passed through the 2wd I-beam pivots, cut off the rivets, removed the brackets and put the engine mount bolts back in.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Oh, thats because you used the solid axle, he might be have a twin I beam axle, like me.

rmholy

'81 F350 BobTail
Reaction score
Which way are we pointing here.... How can I attach to the '81 4.9L engine crossmember .... solid '94 Dana 60 ball joint w/leafs, replacing 2WD Kingpin IFS/TTB w/coils.
I've never done anything 4WD or even owned, much less driven a 4WD. What do I expect I should know before performing this swap? I have all the parts, here & I am just needing advice. I am mostly, lacking in, a knowledge of part descriptions & terminology. I just got the front shackle hangers, and I am waiting on the dually hub replacements, which I'll change after the axel is in place. You guys have the experience, that is why I'm here, to grasp the reality of this setup. You gotta keep in mind, I'm doing it myself, because the local 4wheelers, won't do the job, saying I will have a driveline angle problem. I don't think so, as long as there is no lift difference or very little. My rear drive shaft is 16 3/4" long. Whats the big deal? Whats the length difference in a C6 vs. a 4WD C6 w/married NP205. Which I will get down on, after the front is in. Just guessing, I'm gonna say about 3 3/4". Wrong or right? I don't believe that Ford would go to that much of a difference in the factory setup distinguishing the difference in them. I just would rather it be an automatic, for the ease and comfort of driving, than do a standard tranny swap. The C6 length difference will either way, justify my Dana swap on the '81 F350 BobTail Dually. Can't wait for the answer !!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude! That airport tug is wicked cool! I like it. Needs the diesel though. ;Sweet

fire & smoke

Reaction score
don't get crushed !

this is my first posting so i will be brief. just a warning to all of us who work under heavy loads, "trucks" , that can fall faster than you can get out from under.
i have seen and been involved with many similar under vehicle jobs using portable jacks and/or jackstands. make sure you are using quality equipment rated for the load and proper techniques. ALWAYS use heavy blocking to back up the jackstands, chock and block wheels still on floor, use "hardwood" blocking when placing wood between jack and vehicle componet, no "metal to metal", soft pine woods can and WILL split and blow apart with disasterous results for you! do not depend on the seals in hydraulic jacks to last forever, again, ALWAYS block!
do you trust your life to junk equipment that is made in some third world country and sold dirt cheap at some "dollar discount" store ?
i have extricated several unfortunate persons from under heavy loads/vehicles, they all failed to follow the above ! they all suffered badly and some died.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Good post! Sometimes we all need to be reminded of how safe we're being.
Thanks!

rmholy

'81 F350 BobTail
Reaction score
Dude! That airport tug is wicked cool! I like it. Needs the diesel though. ;Sweet

;Really I am a Building Contractor, and an Engineer.......
I ALWAYS KEEP SAFETY 1ST

Anyone got the answer to my
tranny question
:hail

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone got the answer to mytranny question

Well in all actuality, I doubt very much that you'll be able to make a C6/205 work and still have a rear drive shaft. You mentioned that your current shaft is 16"+
well by the time you add the 205 or any other Tcase I doubt you will have room to have a drive shaft with proper angles and slip yoke.

Why o why are you trying to convert that truck to a 4x for what purpose will it serve?

As for the front end... look at the search function and start checking out dana 60 swaps or SAS there is tons of info here on the subject, and links to sites with even more info to help you with the project.

All in all that front end swap is not that difficult. Good luck!

rmholy

'81 F350 BobTail
Reaction score
I think I can squeeze a married NP205 in place. It is hell sometimes, just getting a simple dimension. I've put in a yr. on the swap, and still don't have it. Oh Well, everyones intitled to an opinion. I just need a dimension, to be able to run the doubts off the road. I need the married NP205 C6 total length. Why do it ? .......................... 1st, the added weight to the front, is needed, the truck is squirrely, and needs some front weight. 2nd ........ It is my opinion, that this will help solve said issue. 3rd, ............ A heavier engine, just won't solve the 1st and foremost goal. The reason comes from Houston Texas freeway traffic at 80+ mph, Lets just say ......... I don't bother dodging Geico squirrels. This dimension is not critical. I know one thing for sure.... AnyThing Is Possible...... That is why I continued. I know how engineering works. I have a good working knowledge of the principles of mechanics, & I think it will improve the overall performance of this TRUCK.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70

Staff online