2nd dually first diesel first ford !!

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
as the title states i just bought a truck a few hours ago 93 crewcab dually 7.3 idi 2wd 5 speed got it for 1500 bucks got 287000 miles has new injectors glow plugs injector pump rear tires and batteries i used the wealth of information on this site to really learn the ins- and outs of these trucks and what to look for when buying all it needs major is a possiable throw out bearing and front tires ill post a pic shortly thanks for all the help will have some questions once i tear into it

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Welcome. Sounds like a hell of a good deal.

First peice of advice, put all the details of your truck in your sig, so in the future, when you post up a question, everyone knows what you're talking about. It saves time.

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
i was really suprised to find that atleat locally you cant find these trucks im not really much of a ford fan but i do like this truck and excited to really learn more about diesels i did notice that i couldnt get it to smoke at all ... i understand smoke isnt really good but i was under the impression that they atleast smoke when you say floor it in 5th wouldnt do it im thinking possiably the pump was turned down when everything was replaced and serviced .... also i will be taking the bug sheild off since it cuts off all air flow to the motor

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah it probably has stockish fuel settings and the timing might be a bit retarded. I've never seen one of these trucks not smoke if you put your foot fr enough in it. Should puff black or leave a brownish haze when you floor it in 5th.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to OB. Have a good look at the FAQ sections and the tech articles. Tons and tons of good info there.

Heath

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
My truck wouldn't make a puff either when I got it. I turned the IP up 2 flats and now it smokes a little when I floor it.

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
well didnt have much time to spend on the truck this past few days but i put fresh fuel in with some additive and some seafoam took the bugsheild off and the rubber hood seal in front of the intake off and toped off antifreeze and changed some light bulbs oh and cut the rusty muffler off runs noticable better next is brake pads and oil change ive alwayd been a mobil one and wix filter guy for all my rides is that a good idea for this as well will the turbo diesel oil work ok in this non turbo

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
My 2x4 dually wont accept the powerstroke FL1995 filter due to the crossmember thats in the way. I'm not sure if its because I have the E4OD as to why that crossmember is there, I forgot.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Welcome to the site! It's nice to see another hoosier on here. I can remember when I got my first diesel (Enterprise - which is now sitting in a kuduz field in Alabama with Freightrain) - pick her up down at Greenfield out at the Ford Dealer there (Inn's Keep).

Keep in mind that there will be a little gathering up in Michigan that Darrin is putting together next month. I'm hoping to make it up if I can.

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
well ive been putting it to good use moving pulled my show truck this weekend along with a bed full probably close to 6000 pounds did pretty good for stock ran super cool and didnt loose very much speed in cruise up hill or anything needs brakes asap though

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive alwayd been a mobil one and wix filter guy for all my rides is that a good idea for this as well will the turbo diesel oil work ok in this non turbo

You should try to use API CI rated oil. CJ is the most common diesel oil, and you can use it, but CI is better if you can find it. Anything "turbo" rated will work fine on your engine. Flush and refil all your fluids including the coolant. Be sure to read up on Caviation if your not familiar with it, and the purpose of a good coolant with SCA's.

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
alittle update ive since had some adventures with running out of fuel because of a non functing fuel sender first diesel oil change blowing a brake hose and replacing the leaky factory fuel filter bottom , and a broken throttle cable guide all in all havent spent much and drove it nearly everyday all of those issues have been fixed doing the coolant flush tomarrow also cut out the soup bowl fixed some battery cable issues also got my radio workin!! well its been a few months and im very happy with my 1500 dollar truck getting ready to get front tires and start collecting my own turbo kit build i already have a turbo off a mecury cougar will be getting a psd intercooler from pull-a-part

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
another question ive done alittle searching with no luck maybe someone can point me somewhere to learn about setting up a filter and mix system to run waste motor and cooking oil what filters to get and such

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the waste motor oil I just filter it outside the truck then dump it in the tank, and I always mix it with at least 50% diesel fuel, add some kerosene or gasoline when for the winter months. I have turned my transmission cooler in the bottom of the radiator into a fuel heater, I extended the fuel lines so the fuel goes through there first before it hits the lift pump and gets sent up towards the filters and the IP. Seems to work pretty good so far... don't know on veggie oil, never ran that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online