2012 Rally development!!!

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Ok folks since the curiosity is up, here's the deal that has been presented by one of our very own.

Jim got in contact with me last week and asked if I would be interested in having Diesel World magazine do an article at our rally.
Of course I sad heck yea!!
Jim was just given the green light and here's what he will be looking for so polish em up and get your lots reserved today because this will literally be one for the books!!!;Sweet

I got an OK for the story in Diesel World, so I can confirm I will be there July 3 and 4 if those are still the best days. You can announce it anyway you like and even paste this message if you like .

I will mainly be there to shoot an event story and will also look for a couple of really nice trucks for individual features.

What makes a good feature truck? A combination of good looks and great technical details. Bright/light colored trucks are preferred and dark trucks the least so. They say black is the kiss of death in a feature truck because it's so hard to photograph and make look good on a printed page (especially with the cheapass magazine printing they do these days). There's usually a certain amount of discouragement when I look at a bunch of trucks and just pick out a couple. I hope all will bear in mind that I will be looking at it *in terms of shooting one that will have the best chance to pass muster with my editor. Hate to waste all our time and energies on something I know won't fly past him... even if it's an otherwise great truck.

In addition, if I see a nice array of small IDI buildup tips to shoot, I would be able to to another story on the IDI Ford talking about buildup tips for a future issue. Could plug the Moose and other products, as well as the better "home grown" tips (gotta pass the safe and sanitary test, though). I'll really be wanting to see under the hoods of trucks.

Would like to shoot really sanitary examples of stock or near stock trucks in the two body styles of the IDI era. A super sano stock truck could make a feature but if I get enough to represent stock trucks in all parts of the IDI era, I might do a history or buyers guide piece. I have some color factory pics.

I'm looking forward to this on many levels. Remember, I'm one of you and have been since 1987. *Nothing cooler than to be able to write about stuff you like!

Jim Allen
Diesel World Magazine

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
THANKS JIM!!!!

Ron, I had a hard time keeping my mouth shut, but I was really hopeing this would be a go. I think it will be a cool article for the magazine. Jim, I know you'll have a great time, even though you will be working while you are there.

Now, I gotta get the dang crew cab done and tested so it'll be ready for the Rally.

Heath

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
THANKS JIM!!!!

Ron, I had a hard time keeping my mouth shut,

dittoo,.;Sweet

That is going to be Great Jim, Glad you will be able to make the event! Even on a work level but it will be good to meet you and have you meet the rest of the crew that shows up for these. You will have a great time!

Gotta call Ron, he has been blowing up my phone,..LOL

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow... Thats really impressive. I don't know why but I have been getting that magazine for some time now. Might Diesel Power mag send someone too....:sly

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow... Thats really impressive. I don't know why but I have been getting that magazine for some time now. Might Diesel Power mag send someone too....:sly

I hope not! When that happens at a relatively small event, it usually dilutes both stories. Best way to maximize coverage with two competing mags is to get one mag one year then the other a different one.

I KNOW I'll have a good time. The problem will be combining work and fun. In the 21 years I've been doing this fulltime (for a huge variety of mags plus 7 published books), nothing takes the fun out an event faster than working it. Fortunately, I have a strong affinity for the subject manner, so I think this will be a case of work and fun mixing well (like rum & coke).

BTW, I'll be picking brains on body work. Mine is a western truck with mostly original paint but all it took was a few years in Ohio to make holes in the rear fender eyebrows.. one side especially. I don't have much body experience so I'll be looking at tips on how to fix this (DIY type stuff). BTW, I don't do winter in the old truck any more.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
that is to cool, i have been hoping and wondering when this might happen at one of our get togethers. thanks guys for lining this up.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds like the ralley is going to be a great event. Any ralley jitters starting yet...:sly I wont be attending this event and I'm saddened by that. I so much enjoyed the 2009 ralley by Heath and Missy in Ky. Everyone was so nice. A person couldn't ask for a better group of people with the same interests. The shareing was outstanding. Any mechanical issues were quickly fixed with all the group knowledge available. Even when I has some issues priming my New Moose pump that Mell installed Joe (littledoggie) came up with a 12 volt charger that got my batteries back up to speed. Funny what a person will find behind the rear seats in a crewcab.....:rotflmao:angel: I think that may have been the ralley where someone made a pretzel out of their driveshaft and didn't Mel's son get 29.5 mpg driving the nite Moose home from the ralley. IIRC that engine was a spare dropin that had not even been timed yet...:eek: That F150 looked great too. A 3300 lbs truck thats full sized getting 29.5 mpg in comfort... And you can actually haul something in the full sized bed... Get out of the way you prius drivers... A mans truck is passing you by in stlye....:D
If anyone is on the fence about attending this or any future ralleys just do it. Its a family event thats good clean family fun. Its for everyone including children. Its not just gear head talks 24 7...

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats awsome news. Not looking too promising for me this year as far as making it up there but we'll see, maybe Ill hit the lottery.

My trucks not worthy of being anywhere in a rag anyway lol.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Guys you don't know how stoked I am about hosting this years rally.
The planning has been going very well and like when I plan my Halloween scavenger hunt parties and am having fun, it's a guarantee that you guys will have a good time as well.;Sweet

PRTJ?? Bwaahhhhaaaaaa!!:backoff :D

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
PRTJ are going to be much worse this year LOL

Shouldn't be for Ron, he's not got to drive across 3 states! lol

Great job Ron, hope we can make it for a day or two, just to say howdy. My IDI will be staying home as per usual unless some miracle happens...and I don't see that happening!