2000 7.3 f350 PSD broke down at work.in the front of main door.SUCKS!!!!

410slayer

Reaction score
hello bought truck last sept.ran great until today sat a week in 20 degree weather started right up idled 15 minutes.drove to work 35 miles 3 am started the truck to warm up for drive home truck was idling so i went back into plant 15 minutes later i go outside and the truck is dead.i went thru the glow plug sequence and cranked over nothing try a few more itmes and no start just crank over.hook up jumper cables to company truck (ford f250) f350 psd cranks much faster but no start.i notice a oil puddle under truck?it is engine oil and diesel,coming from the rear of the intake manifold?put 100,000 btu heater under truck, good heat for one plus hour coming up the underside of engine.so now i point the heater towards the transfer pump from tank along the frame rail.still nothing not even trying to fire.the total amount of oil looks to be 1-2 quarts.pulled the fuel filter cover and refilled with 911 diesel additive still no fire.i read a bunch of posts prior to posting i think i can rule out the cam positioning sensor the truck does show RPMS when cranking.tonite i will bring truck into the power plant to warm up for the 12 hour shift,i will crank with the valve open on the fuel filter to see if its the lift pump.sometime in the cold starts it will really surge up and down the rpms until it warms up maybe 3 to 5 minutes.any ideas will be put to use as best as can.PLEASE HELP.THANKS AGAIN.

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crack one of the oil supply lines to the head while cranking to see if the HPOP is working. Might check to see if these lines are leaking, and if there is a hole in the side of the HPOP. Check for codes?

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
If your fuel filter was empty when you took the lid off either your fuel is gelled up or your pump quit working. You have an electric pump so you shouldn't need to crank the truck to get fuel. I beleive the fuel pump also has a relay under the hood you could check

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
You might wanna just check the oil. No oil in the pan, no oil to fire the injectors. If it had a quart or two on the ground it may just be that low.
Ken

410slayer

Reaction score
thanks for all the responses my guys at work think cam positioning sensor?due to the fact that it ran 5 minutes like mormal before stalling out.i will check the hpop level and the oil level to be safe.when i pull the fuel filter cover it is full.thanks again.

410slayer

Reaction score
no start

hello i checked the hpop level its about 3/4 from top,i pulled fuse #9 and changed out the crank positioning sensor,i think that what is called a pointer with a sensor on the crank passenger side bottom.i cleaned all the battery posts and i screwed up i think when i unhooked the battery cables as far as my friend is loaning me this scanner code reader thing,did i screw it up as far as the last time it ran and died?this truck has never been a starting problem!also i changed the fuel filter.i took off this return line on top of the filter and removed the spring and poppet thing and cranked it i had fuel.a little air and then fuel the bowl was filled with diesel 911.the engine oil dipstick is normal.its been in a 80 degree coal fired power plant since it died.and had a charger on both batteries.today iam going to retrieve the code diagnostic machine from my friend.i had a guy tell me that IPR is possibly stuck on the back of the pump 1/1/8 deepwell socket.so if the code reader is not it is it possibly a stuck ipr and not getting oil press.to injectors?so i ams till trudging thru till i can figure it out i cant justify having towed to someone and paying $75.00 a hour labor.is anyone has any ideas am i going in the wrong injection?:hail:hail

410slayer

Reaction score
follow up after scan with snap-on tm 2500.

hello here are the codes p1393glow plug circuit low inputbank 2 (LT).p13911(1.)p1000system check incomplete.p0603 internal control mod kam error.my friend that let me use the scanner said $600.00 to do the change out the glowplugs,he told me the side with the heater box is a pain in the a$$.i changed the out in my old 1992 f-350 non turbo.but my 2000 has alot less room under the hood.is this the right diagnosis?or can a normal backyard mechanic taking his time be able to tackle this.it is our third vehicle.i have much more time than money.so with 3 glow plugs out the truck wont here try to fire?back to the day it died the lights/heater were on for from when it died for another 15-20 minutes.i had a charger on the batteries individually.HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Check the fuse box for the fuel heater fuse. #30 IF blown unplug the fuel hear( bottom back side of fuel filter bowl and replace fuse. Not sure if that's the problem, just tossing out something free to check.

Last edited:

410slayer

Reaction score
thanks bigrigtech yes the tach bounces up to about 300 up and down while cranking and no white smoke i have had it in a heated bldg.and did not smell a thing.and the scanner did not have a capability for cranking speed or i could not find that option.but i mean its not even trying to start i filled the fuel filter pot with that cetane boost and still nothing.do you think that when it originally died it sat there running the lights and heater for 15-20 minutes.i have had a charger on both batteries.thanks again

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Disconnect the GP circuit and ether it for ***** ang giggles, to me it sounds like no power to the injectors to fire them....Have you unplugged the ICP sensor to make the PCM go to the default huei pressure? Is your electric fuel pump running when you cycle the key? Starting, running up to temp and then dying is a common symptom if a failed IDM....I've seen the same symptom more than once and it was the idm most times. Can you get your hands on another IDM to try it?.....The failed Po1000 test and the 603 fault could also mean you have a power/ground issue to the PCM or a bad PCM.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
sounds like a cpu. if there is no smoke, rule out the Glow plugs. also usually only cali trucks and exs will show glow plug codes.
do you have a wait to start light?

410slayer

Reaction score
fuse 30 is not blown.and yes the low press.transfer fuel pump turns on and is pumping when the key is on.i busted of the fitting on the return for the fuel bowl.so i must find a new part it looks like cheap white metal.