97 PSD, Won't start.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
My buddy's 97 F350 4x4 PSD won't start. He was driving it home and it pretty much quite when he turned into his driveway. The cam sensor was new this spring when I put a new IPR in it - I tried another CPS, no change. It is not reading any cranking speed on the tach. I tried another IDM that works good - no change. Fuse 22 for the fuel heater is ok as are all the fuses. I Don't have a spare PCM but I can get one on Monday. The check engine light cycles at key on. I did repair some corroded wires at the fuse box last spring for the PCM power, I will re-check my repairs to make sure it didn't fail. He said it worked A1 until he was just about home, then it started to run like crap before it quit.:dunno

It's obviously electrical, but where? I'm going to borrow my friends Snap-On scanner to check for codes tommorow.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pop the hood and check the fuses on the drivers inner fender.i believe its fuse #22.if its blown disconnect the fuel heater.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
make sure the cheezy sheet metal nut on the IPR didnt come loose or fall off.really need a scanner though.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Pulled some codes with my buddie's Edge Tuner. With the original PCM/IDM I'm getting PO113 (IAT sensor input high) and PO603 PCM keep alive memory error. With the loaner IDM and the original PCM I get PO340, PO344 and PO113.....With either PCM or IDM I don't see cranking speed on the tach or Tuner so there is definitely something wrong with the CPS circuit. I found the factory troubleshooting for the CPS faults on my pirated ebay Ford program so itlooks like some resistance, voltage and continuity tests are next.:rolleyes:

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I hear ya, I had a PSD and sold it...Worked good but ya just can't beat an IDI for simplicity....2yrs+ I've had it now and zero no start troubles regardless of the outside temp...Water pump and alternator - that's it. This is the second time he has had a no start break down in the 2yrs or less he has owned this. It only has 145,000KM on it too. He plowed all las winter with no troubles but so far he has replaced the GP's, IPR, GP relay, oil cooler, I repaired some fuse box wiring and now this....It wouldn't be so bad if you code work on it with a CHEAP scan tool instead of a $400+ tuner.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Now I have a 113 and 340 fault consistantly. The CPS wiring checks out ok to the PCM...I'm getting intermitant cranking rpm on the tach but none on the tuner. Also I have no smoke from the exhaust while cranking....I've tried what I have at my disposal - it might make more sense to fix his nephews GP system on his 91 SD tow truck and haul this POS to the dealer....He's been waiting for me to fix his uncles truck first....I'm really growing more fond of my IDI with every minute worked on the PSD.....:rolleyes:-cuss

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
He did ask me if an IDI would bolt to his transmission...LOL....He's just as disgusted as I am....No more electronic diesels for this bird....IDI or a P-pump Cummins for my trucks only.:D