93 7.3 idk crank no start no smoke from exhaust

placidoert

Reaction score
Have a 93 7.3 idk n/a parked it for the winter ran great half way to the shop then once I got there it started to run very poorly like it was missing on a couple cylinders would not refire up on its on with out a quick spray of either. Recently I took the truck out for the summer still running bad I changed all eight injectors I already had one go bad last year and now truck cranks and doesn't start and no smoke out the exhaust after changing injectors. Injection pump is relatively new has about 30k on it. Truck has electric lift pump have fuel coming out the Schrader valve when cranking and fuel coming out when cracking the Injector lines. I check the fuel shut off solenoid it clicks on and off when given power. Replaced fuel return line caps and hoses. Not sure if a bad Selector valve would cause any of this I know if you get air in the return system at all it won't run. I'm just lost with it any help is appreciated trying to go camping with truck in a week.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
In my opinion, the first thing that you need to do is to get it running again, even if it's poorly. To sum this up, no start only, you've replaced the injectors, you've replaced the return lines, you have fuel at the injectors, but no smoke out of the exhaust while turning the engine over with the starter.
1. Are your glow plugs working and working correctly?
2. I hate having to ask this, but where did your injector pump and injectors come from? I ask because if it's not from a reputable rebuilder, then those could be your problem. I know you may not want to hear this, but most have learned the hard way about using those rebuilders.
Some people are going to ask about your e pump, but since it's getting fuel to the Schrader valve, that's not really important right now. It is pumping fuel.

placidoert

Reaction score
Glow plugs should be working I did do a compression test before I did the injectors just to double check it wasn't that and to see the health of the engine so i put new glow plugs. The pump I got back in 2020 from diesel care and performance roughly 35k miles ago and just bought the injector set from swag diesel went with the new instead of remans. I don't mind getting another injection pump if it needs or injector set but i wouldn't think a set would all be bad. Not sure if the injector Cooper washers not sealing would cause some di have some carbon in them had two stuck ones I appreciate the help

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never heard of Swag diesel, but I dont think they are making these injectors anymore. I think all of them are being rebuilt from parts. I could be wrong though.

If your not getting any smoke out the tail pipe when your cranking then you are not getting any fuel through the injectors. at least not fuel that is atomized enough to combust.

placidoert

Reaction score
I haven't Hurd of them either in till recently when i was looking for injectors must be someday what new company I didn't know if the injection pump would not be putting out enough pressure to Pop the injectors just odd that truck ran before poorly though and now after putting injectors in nothing happens it doesn't even try to

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IDI injectors from a company that has no feedback is most likely your issue. I would pull them and start over based on past experience with other injector suppliers. Order a set from RussRepair, lots of folks on this forum who would vouch for him personally. Keep at it, you'll get it running good again with patience and some hard work.

I would also just check your glow plugs individually with an ohm meter. It's easy and basically free. Glow plugs might not be needed in warm weather but it's usually necessary to help an IDI that's been sitting for a while.

Lastly: lots of horror stories about ether and IDIs. I would never personally use it.

Good luck, and keep asking questions as there's lots of folks who will help you.

placidoert

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking I knew I should of just ordered them from the same place I got my last set and I don't like using ether and I know the motor don't like it I might try and hunt around and see if a parts store has some in-stock just because im in a time crunch planing on camping next weekend with the truck. I doubt the fuel shut of solenoid would be the problem I did check it and it clicks on it off. As far as glow plugs they all are new with Motorcraft zd-9s I put those in when I did the compression test

placidoert

Reaction score
Not sure if it's a problem in the fuel return system not the injector caps but further back like maybe bad selector valve I did in the past have a problem with my rear tank of a pinched return line when I installed the 38 gallon rear tank truck but then when I switch to front would be fine

placidoert

Reaction score
Update on the truck the truck runs now turned out to be the injection pump not sure what exactly went wrong in it seemed like it wasn't putting out enough pressure to fire the new Injectors. I appreciate all the help