1993 Ford F-Super Duty XLT - "Log Truck" (new to me truck-pic heavy)

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tonight on log truck................the tender loving care continues with some more repairs and maintenance.

so moving on now that her E40D is no longer gushing the fluid from her from pump seal.it's time to take care of a few minor but important things.
so you may recall where i had tried a new door spring a while back? if not,no loss lol.so anyway i scored a used one.a whole drivers side upper hinge.ironically also white.
so out with the old and in with the new.then it was time to tweak the alignment and door striker.now the door remains open for you when you open it and she closes with nice "click" + "thud" like new sound.
moving forward,you may recall i was working on the windshield wipers? i had replaced the spray motor.well i also scored (from the same used parts truck) the couple t's and line i needed due to mine leaking.i replaced the one coming out of the container and the one up in the cowl close to the driver side wiper along with both spray nozzles.so now iv got a nice working and leak free windshield washer system again.
well while i was in there,fortunately for me i had driven in a small shower to or from work,or it might had been the day out to get fuel.either way i recalled the wiper motor had that real sad sound to it lol.so i figured i might as well get it while the getting was good and be done with the cowl for a while.so i went ahead and put one in from auto zone.same one i bought for chip truck with lifetime warranty.she sounds much more healthy that's for sure.when ever disconnecting electrical wires it's always a good idea to spray them with e-cleaner,let them dry,then hit them with the electric tune up grease.
i hit the front end with the grease gun as i hadn't gotten around to that yet.
when loading the truck up there for the first time,it occurred to me when i saw the tires start to bulge.not bad,just enough to let me know i forgot to air up the tires.the truck has been sitting for a while after all.
so i had the valve stem adapters (i didn't take pics) in the glove box.i put on the 180 degrees for the outside rear and then the 7" extenders on the inside rear and startv checking them.the fronts where not too bad.about 65-70 lbs.the rears were pretty low around 55-65 lbs.so i brought all six up to 80 lbs.

that was enough.she was unloaded and ready for a good little ride around town.
she's running great with nice firm shifts....could be firmer but not bad and even a nice solid lockup now thanks to the pump mods.if you talk to her the shifts are right there and begging for the next one.with these steep 5.13 gears shes locking up almost as soon as she enters 3rd and od ain't much further behind lol.
this old rig is going to be a dream to work.
so she's ready for the shops!
first up,she's ready for shop #1.the local welding and fabrication shop.they will be install the used and repaired hydraulic lift gate.
then it's onto shop #2.the local tire shop.she needs one tire.up front.all like new minus this one.the previous owner let the front end go out of alignment for too long and she ate up the side of it.so i'll have them pull all 6.insure all get metal stems,balance and rotation.though not much to rotate as they are super new looking.
then it's onto shop #3.the big rig alignment shop.the only place around who can fit this custom stretched 197" wheel based behemoth in.
then i suspect she'll drive real nice.

also coming soon to the log truck show here on channel 444;
log trucks gets a Delphi injector install kit,combined with viton o-rings with a set of new stanadyne turbo G codes.then she gets her engine timing checked and set via the pulse adapter and timing light w/ advance.you don't want to miss that,so stay tuned and i hope you enjoyed this basic (but after the pulling of the trans......twice.it's a o k with me lol) and simple episode.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    656.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    571.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    597 KB · Views: 9
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    599.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    552.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    616.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    748.1 KB · Views: 9

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
unfortunately my second attempt to cure the front trans leak has failed as well.
now i have a leak from the front just the same,but now it appears to be very minor in comparison.what's more is it also seems to leak only under load.if i pull over and look under,i can see it dripping steady.let idle and it will stop pretty much all together once the converter shield drains.
i had thought perhaps i just overfilled the trans and it was very hard to tell just where it was on the stick.i let some out and then could see it is now a good quart low and it just started to flare into 4th,so can't have that.i can no doubt drive it to the trans shop and let them deal with it.most likely what i'll do at this point.pulling and placing the trans in twice was enough for me.besides i just don't know what would be leaking anyway at this point.

the welding shop isn't ready to install the lift gate yet,so i took it in for the tire rotation and get the tires rebalanced.no more lead weights and the new type went flying off under a half mile down the road.they then tried sticky weights and some of those dropped off just turning in there lot lol.so i'll need to try and have them balanced with the stuff they put right in the tires.
anyway,now with the tires rotated i went to the alignment shop.now she's running true again.
feels like progress isn't going as smoothly as it did but eventually this old gal will be trustworthy and brought back up to par.
one thing iv put off for too long already is trying to source my power steering leak.i can tell she's down again today after sitting overnight at the alignment shop.hopefully the engine degreaser i used cleaned things up enough for me to see which seal or line it is now into the steering box.iv got to get this slow leak taken care of as well.
she's still running smokey.no word yet on the returns but the dieselstore sent me remans instead of new injectors.when they get here i'll be installing those,a new tps and then set the timing.
she sure does go nice now with no more pull and the tires rotated with the front choppy ones out back now.still keeping my eyes open for a nice used auto crane as well.the 3203EH should do nicely for loading logs
http://www.autocrane.com/html/service-cranes-eh-3203.php?expandable=0?hotlinxhdr=0
but thus far nothing local coming up.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Did you use new rubber washers under the bolts. Reusing old washer will cause leakage. Any damage to the large O ring will cause leakage.

All bolts including the pump body are torqued to spec. This can cause leakage and other issues too.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
another update.it's hard to believe iv gone through a tank and put 160 miles on the truck already.with the first little run to fuel up,the first (and only thus far) work day and the test runs by me,and from and to different shops,but her first record is in the books!

things i know that are or were still issues during her first tank;
1.fuel injectors
2.engine timing unknown.
3.front end out of alignment.
4.low tire pressures in all 6.
5.unbalanced/improperly balanced tires.
6.engine fan untested.however it doesn't appear to be failed in a lock up state,so i don't suspect it.it's just not yet tested/confirmed yet.

You must be registered for see images attach

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you use new rubber washers under the bolts. Reusing old washer will cause leakage. Any damage to the large O ring will cause leakage.

All bolts including the pump body are torqued to spec. This can cause leakage and other issues too.

i didn't.the trans shop where i ordered them from only sent me 1 washer! i thought they were selling them as a pack.i shouldn't have put it together without new ones,but the old ones looked fine.........probably i got what i deserved for pulling that one lol.

well.not that i want to even think about it,but i do hate to spend hundreds on something i know i can do myself.....you mention this first.this seems most likely to you given it's only leaking under load and not at idle? if i....i can't believe im about to say this,but if i pull the trans and converter is there a way i could verify these washers are the culprit? or could a trans shop?

Last edited:

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Leaking under load is why I asked about the washers.

Most people spread RTV around those suckers. The best one I have seen was clear caulk.:rotflmao

New washers should fix it.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanx brother.i was able to source a pack of 9 at a ford dealer today, 1.5 hours out.fortunately i was doing job estimates out that way so i picked them up.
E9TZ-7G379-A

they had like 9 packs of those.the guy said they were NOS.an old part number from 1989.no one probably handled those packs in years lol.
so i'll start in tomorrow and pull the sucker back out.least it's an easy fix once im there.the only work really is dropping and reinstalling the trans.....as if that's not enough though haha.well serves me right.i should have known better.oh well that's how it goes sometimes.
i'll just pull one bolt at a time and then torque as i go to insure i don't disturb the pump gasket and should be good to go.im glad the leak under load only was helpful to diagnose.i had a feeling this would be key for ya.;Sweet

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
third time's a charm

here we go.trans pull take 3!:D

Attachments

• 3rd time.jpg
    3rd time.jpg
    645.4 KB · Views: 80

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok so my problem appears to be a bad converter.the thing is so tight that it spun the staked bushing in the pump and ruined the new/used f5 pump.
so iv ordered all the things again (including another used f5/superior k062 kit) along with a reman converter this time.im going to make sure the 3rd time is the charm.
so i took the old pump and sat it on the converter and it was just as tight (way too snug) on that old pump bushing as well.so all along here i believe the converter is what is ruining the pumps.
what causes a converter hub to go out of round and or swell up so much it no longer wants to ride on a bushing?
i should have known it was too tight to hold up.i had a feeling it would just ware in and be fine but nope.ware out the inside of the pump.when i pulled the converter out,the bushing was on the converter.i could press the bushing back in with my fingers.......shot.thus the leaking.
she'll be all new/good used,including converter going in this time.

good news however!
progress is still being made with log truck,despite the current E40D converter/pump issues.
i got a good deal on a used auto crane 3203EH PRX!
http://www.autocrane.com/html/service-cranes-eh-3203.php?expandable=0?hotlinxhdr=0

so shortly,log truck should be transmission issue free,and outfitted with electric over hydraulic lift gate and crane!;Sweet
here's a vid of one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jJ9Wsg2ZgM

Last edited:

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Well that sucks man.

A bushing will never wear itself in. It will burn out do to lack of lube. If you have a tight bushing it will need to be reamed for proper clearance.

Nice crane. I could use that sucker.:D

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah i should have known better.i did too.with all the trans swaps iv done over the years and insuring converters are fully seated when you turn them in,i know they should spin free and clunk in without issue.i was just hoping and getting excited to use the truck again for working and hoped it would be fine.it's the old bushing as well.i sat the old pump onto the converter and also way too snug.that was a part way worn out bushing.iv never had a converter hub do this before.no matter.she's going in for a core now.i'll see to it,it feels proper and take my time to insure it's all right this go around.no more getting over excited and putting it back together on wishful thinking lol.foolish really.it could have cost me a perfectly good functioning transmission putting it back together when i knew that was far too tight.
looking good for this weekend.appears as if everything should be here Friday.

yeah a crane like that will be so nice to load full length logs and so many other handy uses.engines swaps would be a breeze!

Last edited:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good thing you're doing all this work by yourself if you're paying for it by now you'd be past ZF5 swap cost... What converter is going in, same Racer-X as the chipper truck has?

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good thing you're doing all this work by yourself if you're paying for it by now you'd be past ZF5 swap cost... What converter is going in, same Racer-X as the chipper truck has?
no.just a cheap reman.i swapped in a good converter (the one from racerx) only to have the trans shop want to install a new one again during a reman for that truck anyway and out the $ (but i did go with the same spec/triple disc/billet/extra low stall.) so if she ever needs a reman,only then will i go to a good high end converter.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/E4OD-7-3L-6...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a87110ca8&vxp=mtr

for 2 bills,you can't beat that warranty either.

Sounds like the converter hub is out of spec. It should have been sloppy with the old bushing.

yeah exactly.should be sloppy if anything.very odd.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle