Some ZF 5 specifics needed

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Ok guys... I am looking for some specific info, for my ZF 5 swap. First, I need to know how much shorter the front drive shaft needs to be. I also need to know how much longer, the front section of my rear drive shaft needs to be.

There's a red two-wire connector on the side of the tranny, that I'm assuming is the connector for the reverse lights. Anyone know of a part number for the connector, so that I can wire this up?

There is also a pigtail with a connector on the end. What does this go to?

The Transfer case has a hole that I believe is where the speedo gear goes. Since my speed sensor is in the rear diff, what can I put in that hole? Should I just use the transfer case, from the E4OD?

I found a new SMF clutch kit on the NAPA web site. Is this what I need?

You must be registered for see images

Item#: NNCMU19891SK
Clutch Set - New

That's all the questions I have right now... There will be more to come..

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
Sounds like you have everything under control, but man that flywheel sure jacks up the price, when I did my C6 to T-19 in my '82 all I had to get was a Pressure Plate and clutch disc and it wasn't anywhere near that pricey. I guess it pays off to have a stash of smallblock ford parts...

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can do better than that.
$175 for the flywheel from Schucks/Checker/Kragen ($60 flywheel + $115 core charge) http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=SFW&MfrPartNumber=721&PartType=267&PTSet=A

$81 for the clutch disk from Autozone ($75 clutch + $6 core charge)
http://www.autozone.com/R,2136979/i...partType,00098/shopping/partProductDetail.htm

$80 pressure plate from Autozone ($68 pressure plate + $12 core charge)
http://www.autozone.com/R,146350/in...partType,00180/shopping/partProductDetail.htm

$35 throw out bearing from AutoZone
http://www.autozone.com/R,3448415/v...partType,00203/shopping/partProductDetail.htm

Total cost $375. All of it can be ordered and shipped to your local store for pickup - usually the shipping is free.

You may not need to lengthen or shorten the drivelines - I didn't. My two trannys were be within about 1" of the same length of each other. That may or may not be the case comparing an auto to a manual though.

I'd use the transfer case off the E40D if possible - less issues to deal with that way.

As for the two sensors/wiring, one will be your reverse light switch. Dunno about the other one.

For more info that may be of interest to you while doing this swap, see this thread
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16973

and my picture gallery here
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=161

Hope that helps.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok dont waste your money on the above mentioned clutch and flywheel.go with the SMF like youre planning to do.

yes the plug in the front of the tranny is for the reverse lights.i believe its the same connector as the windshield washer pumps connector.

picture of the other pigtail if possible?if its in the back by the output shaft its for the speedometer.if you have the sensor in the rear axle you dont need the one on the tranny.

the driveshaft will need to be lengthened i believe.if you have a carrier bearing just get the front shaft out of a 5 speed truck.you dont have to do anything with the rear half of the shaft.you will also need the 5 speed tranny crossmember.the e40d cross member is different and wont fit with the 5 speed.the bolt holes are already in the frame for the 5 speed crossmember.

with the sensor in the rear end you can use any transfer case you want.you can leave the speed sensor in the transfer case to plug the hole.or buy the sensor just to stick in the hole if the sensor is missing.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
You can do better than that.

I'm in a unique situation.. I can get the parts from NAPA, on the railroad's charge account and then they take that money out of my overtime pay. They only have an account at NAPA.

You may not need to lengthen or shorten the drivelines - I didn't. My two trannys were be within about 1" of the same length of each other. That may or may not be the case comparing an auto to a manual though.

I've been told there's a bigger difference than 1". If I can find a donor truck, I'll try to get it. I tried one junk yard yesterday and they had 5 IDI's. ALL were auto and all had drive shafts destroyed by their loader.

I'd use the transfer case off the E40D if possible - less issues to deal with that way.

I guess I will have to wait until I get the auto out, before I can see if the transfer case will work.

As for the two sensors/wiring, one will be your reverse light switch. Dunno about the other one.

Hope that helps.

I'll get some pics today. A friend helped me unload it out of my explorer yesterday, I'll have it model for some pics.

Thanks Cheaper!

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
ok dont waste your money on the above mentioned clutch and flywheel.go with the SMF like youre planning to do.

Yeah... In my above post, I explained why I need to stay with NAPA.

yes the plug in the front of the tranny is for the reverse lights.i believe its the same connector as the windshield washer pumps connector.

I'll look into it..

picture of the other pigtail if possible?if its in the back by the output shaft its for the speedometer.if you have the sensor in the rear axle you dont need the one on the tranny.

There's a hole in the output, where the speed sensor used to be. If I can use the transfer case from the auto, this won't even be an issue.

the driveshaft will need to be lengthened i believe.if you have a carrier bearing just get the front shaft out of a 5 speed truck.you dont have to do anything with the rear half of the shaft.you will also need the 5 speed tranny crossmember.the e40d cross member is different and wont fit with the 5 speed.the bolt holes are already in the frame for the 5 speed crossmember.

If I can find a donor truck, I'll use parts from it. If not, I'll have the drive shaft(s) modified and balanced.

Thanks 94!

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
emd, I just swapped my c6 for zf5.
I have an extra one of those connectors.
I'll be back on land around feb 11th if you still need it by than.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
manual and auto transfer cases in our fords are the same. i have a front shaft I can measure up for you if the length is needed. for the curious, D50 and D60 front shafts are completely different animals.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Huh?!? What do you mean "waste your money"?!? Other than the SMF itself, that is exactly the clutch setup I put in my truck (I already had a SMF in my truck). Its been working great for a year and a half now. Since it costs $175 less (nearly 1/3 off) - and they are good quality Valero parts - what/where is this "waste" of money you refer to?

EMD, I can see the attraction of getting it from NAPA if the railroad will only deduct it from OT pay and not from your regular pay. Kind of an interest free loan. If you're only getting an hour or two OT a week or something - so basically you'd be paying for it over a period of months, and/or if you don't have the cash in hand to buy the parts, then that makes perfect sense.

On the other hand, if they were going to take the money out of your pay over a period of just a couple of weeks then spending the $175 extra (nearly 1/3 more) wouldn't seem like much of a benefit to me.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
EMD, I can see the attraction of getting it from NAPA if the railroad will only deduct it from OT pay and not from your regular pay. Kind of an interest free loan. If you're only getting an hour or two OT a week or something - so basically you'd be paying for it over a period of months, and/or if you don't have the cash in hand to buy the parts, then that makes perfect sense.

On the other hand, if they were going to take the money out of your pay over a period of just a couple of weeks then spending the $175 extra (nearly 1/3 more) wouldn't seem like much of a benefit to me.

Last pay period, I had 53 hours of overtime. It won't take too long to pay off. I really would prefer the Luk assembly, but I just can't do it. If obama lets me get a tax refund this year, I plan to use that money for a camper that I'm looking at.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin