Realistic budget of a 2wd -4wd and goodies build

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
shet, ddint know that about core charges..now i feel robbed!

yeah plasma worked here, its something in the torch, consumables most likelik.y new cup and swirl ring, going to replace o ring and electrode and tip.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
shet, ddint know that about core charges..now i feel robbed!

yeah plasma worked here, its something in the torch, consumables most likelik.y new cup and swirl ring, going to replace o ring and electrode and tip.

plasma: do you do alot of plundge cuts with it?
the first time i started off using a plasma was when i was a fab rookie at a shop.
i was doing a plundge cut, with dark saftey goggles on,
the owner of the shop came over to my table and slammed a 22 pound sledge on the table, which scared the hell out of me, torch went flying.
then he proceeded to **** me a new one because i was messing up his tips, which arnt cheap.
i learned quick to only start my cut off the metal.
now, everyone does things differnetly, but ill tell you, tips lasted alot longer for me after that..lol

as far as getting robbed, look at your check stub on your next check.... core tax is miniscule to the other ways we get robbed..lol
if we were all still ruled by the UK, we would be in civil unrest..:fight:

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sometimes i have to do a plunge cut, and yes the tip and cup get destroyed by it. But when cutting sheet to a general form i start off the metal. new tips and electrode will be here tomorrow so ill throw the nbew oring on, tip and electrode and hopefully will be good. these hp25 torches are finickey.

got some small BS brackets made for the CAC yesterdya., spent most of the time cleanrign my workbench and isntalling a flood light over it. decent work space going on now.
the front end buildup seems to daunting and i dont know where to start. makes me anxious. i have my mock brackets for the intercooler, and i know i need to tie the radiator up a little bit closer to the front beam because the bracket is bent. Just hashing out ideas here, ill be in the shop on wednesday again, hopefully get some good solid progress going. Need tpo take the front off of cut out the olkd rubber bushings, and install the new poly ones.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
didnbt take a pic last night, but..this is probably 99% spot on.

You must be registered for see images attach

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6.0. an all aluminum 7.3 woulda been better for the simple fact i could weld more tabs on to it if needed. was cheap tho, 60$ at my yard, 3" piping.

the intercooler is tucked in further than i thought, its flush with the hood line, so the grill wont poke out very much further. cant use the stock one but im using a pretty small expanded metal as the grill, and 1"x1/8" flat stock as the surround. got a bunch of 90deg weld studs so i can take the whole thing on and off easily. the main white driving lights will be fully exposed, but i kind of want to have the inner yellow ones hidden behind the mesh. bad for lighting, but looks cooler IMO. Whole grill will be painted with the cat gloss black. I got almost a full nigth to work on it tonight so well see what i can get done in time!

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score

tomorrow should have the frame work done for the trucks new face. need to order in the expanded sheet i want.

with the bumper

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont know if i should use 1x1 square tubing or 1"x.5" C channel for the grill frame work. the 1x1 is lighter and stronger, but the depth of the grilolo will be more (the mesh is being welded to the back side)

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
why not use .5 x .5? i take it you have both of what you stated on hand?

ive been told that angle and channel are cast?
box tubing is cold rolled and seamed?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no channel is hot rolled,
dont make .5x.5 square tubing

i ended up ordering more of the 1x.5 c channel. its just easier to work with sometimes than the square tube. and the slimmer profile is nice. got 4x 4'x2' sections of some tight mesh expanded flat steel (i do everyhtign in 4' sections becuase thats all that fits in the back of my lexus lol), and some 16 gauge sheet to build my headlamp housing sout of. love my supplier, call in the am, pickup at lunch.,

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
McMaster-Carr sells the 0.5x0.5 with 0.030" wall thickness. I'm sure others do to if you decide you need it. Getting metal for me is a real problem. Nobody wants to talk to you about a $20 order and the couple places that you can go around here all keep bankers hours or worse.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes they do. Got some on my rack as we speak.

Just sayin.......

0.o news to me! guess my guy isnt the god i made him out to be!

yeah about those hours, theyre open 8-4 m-f only. im lucky my work is close by so i go ther eon my lunch break. And they have everything (well clearly, not everything) in stock or get it by lunch time, and best prices around bar none.
Hmm do i want .5" thickness though as the grill surround? if they only had c channel that was less than 1/8" in the 1x.5".
going to be so damn heavy. My grill alone could double as a brush guard!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online