7.3 dies! help!

mudslut350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whelp i feel like an idiot. go into looking at so many different things and turns out to be probably the most simple thing ever. It is raining so i had to stop working but i used an air compressor and blower attachment to blow into the pump but nothing was happening. blew into the return and the tank would pressurize but nothing from the pump. pulled the supply from the tank off and pressurized the return side and still no flow!!! clogged friggen line! -cuss:idiot::***::smash: attached the blower to the supply side with a hose clamp and opened the fuel cap and gave er hell. I then re-installed the cap and pressurized the return line and holy crap all kinds of junk came blowing out with fresh fuel. Hooked it back up to the pump and cranked like the last video and still not a ton of flow but definitely more! Im waiting for this storm to pass and hopefully have her back together in a few minutes to give er a shot. hopefully i get somewhere... literally :rotflmao

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The air may have been a bad idea.if you didnt have a broken showerhead on the fuel pickup,you might now.running out of fuel around 1\4 tank is the signs of this.

Junk in the line could be sludge from the wmo.may want to consider a filter after the selector valve

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
^ you mean between tank and selector valve?
That's how I would do it. Stuff was probably stuck there.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then he would have to mount and run two filters if he use both tanks.unless hes running wmo in one tank and straight diesel in the other.

mudslut350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
storm passed and back to working on it i got it together with high hopes. first few cranks no signs of life. After that it would be the same story cranking with it only seems to fire once every rotation on only one cylinder. Still no fuel in the returns from the front of the head but im getting fuel at the rear of the head in the hard line while its cranking and no pressure at the schrader valve on the side of the fuel bowl. the truck has about 3/8 tank of D2 in the front tank. issue started happening on the rear tank so it is consistent with tanks. Its almost like fuel is being stopped by the injectors. could that be from when i removed the ipr? tonight i cranked the truck for over an hour and a half while jumper cables were hooked up from my k10 and vw jetta. I did not crank the whole time of course but off and on giving the starter a rest here and there.

mudslut350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i feel like ive been beaten down by this damn truck and im on my last nerve with it does anyone know of anyone near area code 32566 that could maybe lend a hand or has test equipment? once again parts list changed so far. Fuel filter, IPR, CPS, shot wires to injectors, shot wires to the IPR, it has had a new fuel pump 2 years ago.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like its directly related to the trash youve been making it run off of. Try hooking a fuel line from the suction line on the pump then feed it to a bucket full of real fuel. This way you might stand a chance of getting it to run. If you get it running clean the lines and selector valve, then pull the rear tank with the crap in it and clean it. Then do yourself a favor and buy ae, and actually diagnosis it before just buying parts and throwing them at it and hoping they stick. Thats what I would try in your situation anyway.

mudslut350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well it ran fine before and it has fresh fuel in it now. I'm not going to buy ae for just one time use. i'm not "throwing parts at it" i'm changing them according to different symptoms so unless you have any helpful advise just move along. those that i have been in contact with i am grateful for because before this happened i had not much of an idea of how this fuel system worked. If it was a C-130 it'd be fixed by now lol. plus i dont see the obs 7.3l on the ae site just the 99-03 and my buddy hooked up his obd scan and it was not much help at all.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Ae isn't a "one time use" like you assume. They do way more then you think. Can pretty well use it to tell you nearly anything that's wrong with it.
Injector balance tests, cylinder contribution tests, etc.
And it definitely works on the early trucks. Those cheap ass obdII parts store scanners won't do squat on these trucks.
But it's your truck and your money. Just don't go around saying the powerstrokes are expensive money pits, when you threw parts at it, because you didn't have the right diagnostic equipment.
As Oregon said, run a fuel line straight from a clean jug of fuel, and also get a fuel gauge. Doesn't have to be anything fancy.

mudslut350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not saying its a money pit its just eating me up as to why its not working. Im sure its something simple and stupid that i am missing.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Another simple thing to check, the pcm/fuel heater fuse.
The fuel heater will ground out, in turn blowing the fuse.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not saying its a money pit its just eating me up as to why its not working. Im sure its something simple and stupid that i am missing.

The problem right now is we need to know what code it was throwing in the beginning.now youve torn it apart andreplaced parts.

Now you need to keep messing with it till it will start so we can start the diagnostics all over again.

By your symptoms and the cel goin out on restarts i bet it was throwing the p1211 code icp above/below desired.pop the valve covers off,have someone crank it over while you watch for oil bubbling up from the base of the injectors.

How many miles on this truck?

mudslut350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fuel pump solved the issue truck now runs. so before you -cuss holes ridicule me for "throwing parts at it" reason i did not do the pump to start with was the inconsistency. i would run great then die and had a light prior to the first failure. that alone turned me to the cps and the ipr. anyway i appreciate the help from those that actually helped. if my light returns that will be a separate issue.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Eh, lot of us said fuel pump to start with.
Glad you got it fixed though.
That banjo bolt is a bish, huh?
When my pump went, I was having the filter light come on during hard acceleration. Then somehow the tank was under vacuum. Like when I open the fuel bowl drain valve, it was sucking in air.
Then same day, it just died.
You'd think with it being a mechanical pump, it'd work, or it won't.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online