7.3 dies! help!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Definitely pull the valve covers and look at the harnesses.
Is it smoking at all while cranking?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

mudslut350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What should I look for in the harness? Could I shoot the wires to each injector for continuity? I have all the dealer books for the truck to include wiring diagrams

mudslut350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long would you crank for with a no start before giving the starter a rest? I was doing about 30 seconds with a few minutes in between twice and then stopped for the night. I don't need to burn out a $150 starter either

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at the harness connectors and valve cover gaskets for burnt connectors,pins or wiring.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Cranking is really the only way.
Need to quit throwing parts at it, and start more diagnosing.
Otherwise it'll get real expensive real quick.

mudslut350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya don't say lol can't diagnose anything if it don't run. I'm a jet engine mechanic also so I know a thing or two of troubleshooting which is why I'm doing as best I can to learn this system and figure out what is going on. I don't need a smart a$$ stating the obvious.:mad:

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Then but a ae so you can actually do something with it.
Or hit up some other powerstroke forums and just see if someone is near that has it and will come check it out for you.
And it doesn't take much to pull the valve covers and check the UVCH's.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya don't say lol can't diagnose anything if it don't run. I'm a jet engine mechanic also so I know a think or two of troubleshooting which is why I'm doing as best I can to learn this system and figure out what is going on. I don't need a smart a$$ stating the obvious.:mad:

With the right scanner or scanner software on a laptop combined with knowing how to read the info,you can diagnose almost every problem without it running.

Have you done the simplest diagnostic that ive asked you to do yet? Check the valve cover harnesses?if you got melted injector wiring you gonna fool around throwing parts at it and burn up a thousand dollar IDM.

Now that you replaced the ipr its gonna be a ***** to start.you have to crank its balls off till you get rid of the air in the system then it may still start hard or run funky for a bit.but if the injector orings, i asked you to pull the valve covers off to do a ****** inspection for oil bubbling up around the base of the injectors,are gone it may never start.

mudslut350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://youtu.be/hymQkcu7YXA I shot the harness with a ohm meter and all was good.i have a old pump I'm going to put in place of this one and see if it's any better. I cracked the return lines and no fuel was coming out so I popped the filter out and same thing so I took the bowl out and this is what it looks like. Doesn't seem very good to me. And even if one or two injectors was bad wouldn't it still run? Just really rough? I cranked the hell out of her until batteries died and threw them on a charger. How much cranking we talking. It gets smoke out the pipe but not much and only after cranking a lot. When I was cranking it would seem to fire one cylinder at about the rate you see it spurt out of the pump in this video.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Definitely isn't moving much fuel.
Does it actually have enough to be picked up?
Once the pickups break off, you need closer to half a tank.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7