ZF5 Diesel adaptor

bignastystacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking to either purchase or use (ill pay for shipping to and from) a diesel adaptor for a zf 5 speed. I would like to have my 460 trans drilled before removing my old one. I know I can take mine out and use the adaptor on it but again I would rather have it done before hand if at all possible.

So if any of yall have one that is not being used and could part with it even if just for a short time it would be great.

Thanks.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Be cheaper to find one at a yard, they are heavy.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't know there was a "zf" adapter. I thought it was the same for the 4 speeds, the c6, the E4OD and the zf.

I thought the engine had a oddball international bell pattern, and Ford in their infinite wisdom designed an adapter that converted the international pattern to another one-off oddball pattern that doesn't match anything. You have to ask yourself if you were going to make an adapter, why not make one to fit a 460 pattern that you are already tooled up for at the tranny factory? Why re-tool the whole case casting of the c6 when you could have just used s 460 c6 tranny?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't know there was a "zf" adapter. I thought it was the same for the 4 speeds, the c6, the E4OD and the zf.

I thought the engine had a oddball international bell pattern, and Ford in their infinite wisdom designed an adapter that converted the international pattern to another one-off oddball pattern that doesn't match anything. You have to ask yourself if you were going to make an adapter, why not make one to fit a 460 pattern that you are already tooled up for at the tranny factory? Why re-tool the whole case casting of the c6 when you could have just used s 460 c6 tranny?

Not sure...but forward thinking...perhaps so weaker gas trans don't bolt to diesels?

tractorman86

Reaction score
The problem here lies in the fact that the 460 trans is geared waaaaaay lower than the diesel trans, if that's what you where planning to use. I had an incident where the guy in the shop ordered a big block input and accessory gear for my 91, lets just say my highest gear was 4 for a while. LOL I shifted it-2-5-4 and that was a much lower start than I ever needed, it sure had an awesome crawl ratio in 1st and 4low

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well....west coast is a little closer to Utah. What's one worth to you?

Attachments

• SL375231.JPG
    SL375231.JPG
    293.5 KB · Views: 3
  • SL375232.JPG
    SL375232.JPG
    288.6 KB · Views: 9

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member