WVO in an IDI?

bct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there anything to watch for when running WVO in an IDI? I haven't read much on it... can the stock pump be used? Wheres the pump located? Obviously this isnt my truck and Im hopeing too help a friend out with this some. I'm thinking of a system that switches tanks just before the pump. Im hopeing the pumps close too the injectors. Also is the fuel filter heated on these? and where is it located? thanks in advance :thumbsup:

budtoh3zo

Reaction score
you can run it i run WMO in mine, the fuel pump is on the side of the block and the fuel heater is a inline one it is just before the fuel filter.

bct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you make any modifications too the truck? what were they? side note, your webshots link no workie....

bct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RKOCH said:
more problems that it is worth make bio diesel.

If you figure your time being worth $20/hr and the set up costs, no its not worth it. I did the math once and i think you start seeing a saveings when #2 hits 3.25ish a gallon. The thing that makes it worth while, is when you can co-op with a few ppl. have a pick up guy, and a plumber get you some of the parts and can sell a few gallons, then you can see the price drop when you consider your effort. If you can run wvo, theres where your saveings is, its about 35% of the cost and time of bio. The oils free, you only need a filter, a bucket, a couple filters and some hose (in the summer months). When it gets below 50 degreese or so, you need too have a heat exchanger in your fuel tank, and you can get pretty fancy with that system.

The thing that drives me is, my income is not going to raise with fuel prices. i also like too travel. I'd like to take 4-5 trips in the next 6 months totaling 6,000 miles. I'd rather save the fuel money.

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
My system is totaly automated and it cost me 73 cents a gal. And it cost me about 100 bucks to get going. A total of about 30 min of my time a batch. You don't count your time anyway that is supposed to be the hobby in it. I got 5 mph better on pure b100 that is why I went that way at first I used WVO and lost 3 mpg. WVO will coke up a motor faster than you can say your name . To run it right you need to pre heat it and have a second tank of #2 to start up on. WVO must be atleast 120 degress to complete combustion if it is not you will have coke period! If you do not pre heat it and just filter and blend it. I promise you will have a coke problem and will need new injectors and a pump if you are lucky but more than likely your rings will start to stick. Now what is cheaper??? Sounds like bio to me.

Last edited:

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
when in doubt, read alot of the threads on the infopop forums.
The SVO forums always read "I think i really messed up" or "my ip and injectors are shot" etc etc.

bio costs me about $.65 a gal to make (anyone want some methanol in georgia/florida? I buy 3-4, 55gal drums at a time, plus my wife has a soap company, so we always have a few hundred pounds of lye)

end of the day, I have peice of mind when I'm rolling down the highway.
If you are comfortable with SVO/WVO go for it, me personally? I'm not comfortable with WVO.

dp

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Staff online