Wrecking Yards West of the Rockies

jayel73

Reaction score
Hi,
I'll soon be zig zagging my way from Denver to LA.

New Mexico, Utah, Nevada, Arizona, Southern California... something like that.

Can anyone suggest a wrecking yard that has good spares for '87 van.
Body stuff mostly, windows doors etc.

Or maybe which states are gunna have well preserved parts.

cheers

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PM "towcat" he prolly knows where there all at. Then there's quite a few guy's on here that live out yonder in those States.

Mullis23

Mike
Reaction score
I will have to look at the local yard next time i go they have decent truck parts but i havent looked for a van. Im in Grand Junction Co so thats on the way west from denver when do you plan on leaving.

WilltheThrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have tons of luck here in Phoenix, Elology autoparts is always good. I have found that all of the best yards are all within 5-8 miles circle.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
There's an '88 (I think, 6.9 with the new style GP controller) van here in Carson City, NV (at least it was last week) I can check to see if it's still there if you can let me know when you'll be out this way.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'll soon be zig zagging my way from Denver to LA.

New Mexico, Utah, Nevada, Arizona, Southern California... something like that.

Can anyone suggest a wrecking yard that has good spares for '87 van.
Body stuff mostly, windows doors etc.

Or maybe which states are gunna have well preserved parts.

cheers
on the whole, vans are unwanted stepchildren out here. I've towed away non-running ones for free and paid 300-500 for good running ones. I have quite a few van oil coolers and l/s exh manifolds as well as other van odd-n-ends. they're yours if you stop in to pick them up.

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
It my be pretty tough to find parts for an 87 in Albuquerque.

I'm not sure why, but many of the busy salvage yards around here, are letting a vehicle sit for 6 months, then sending it to the crusher. They send around 50 vehicles at a time, regardless of what is still left of the car.

Went back to a yard two weeks ago, to pull parts from some mid 2000 trucks and vans, but they were crushed.

The places that keep a vehicle for years, have mostly skeletons sitting in their yards.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
Car-part.com, search for what you need in what state it will pull up yards with the parts.

JwS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a couple good size pick-n-pulls out here in Salt Lake that usually will have a couple vans around.. I haven't been out recently enough to say for sure..
JwS

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
on the whole, vans are unwanted stepchildren out here. I've towed away non-running ones for free and paid 300-500 for good running ones. I have quite a few van oil coolers and l/s exh manifolds as well as other van odd-n-ends. they're yours if you stop in to pick them up.

Whats different on a van oil cooler?

jayel73

Reaction score
Thanks guys,

That web site is pretty useful.
I might hit you up Towcat, if I get as far as Yosemite. You're not too far from there right?
I'm only on the road for two weeks, lots to see in between Denver and Longbeach.
Might have to do a few 500 mile days !

cheers

DragRag

Reaction score
Yosemite is about 2.5 hours from San Jose, so you will not be far. There are always 3-5 vans of that body style in pick-n-pull in San Jose on the Commercial Street yard. I stop in there just to look when I get parts across the street from it. They don't have many idi's there, but lots of rust free metal. The forklift drivers can wreck a lot of stuff though.